Van_Bibber-L Archives

Archiver > Van_Bibber > 1999-12 > 0946154339

From: Steve Roper <>
Subject: Nancy (Van Bibber?) Howard, White Co TN
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 15:38:59 -0500

After talking with and looking at the research of Steve Smith re: the
family of Isaac Van Bibber I, I have come to the conclusion that my
ancestor Robert Howard of White County, TN was most likely the husband
of Isaac's daughter Nancy Van Bibber.

Robert Howard followed the migrationary pattern of the Van Bibber and
related families thru VA and into Claiborne Co TN and eventually came to
rest in White County TN. He took land grants there in 1808 and remained
until his death on 9 Oct 1832.

AT the time if his death, his widow Nancy was still living. Robert died
intestate and his estate was inventoried and sold as was the usual
custom of that time. His wife Nancy and his children were heavy buyers
at the estate sale.

Also at the sale was a ROBERT VAN BIBBER who bought a few items.
I do not have a clue as to his identity, perhaps a nephew of Robert
Howard.

In April of 1834, 2 sons of Robert and Nancy Howard, William and
Ignatious, petitioned for the division and distribution of some of their
father's land. Nancy was not a party to this transaction and did not
receive a share of the land, indeed was never mentioned in the whole
process. This indicates to me that she had died between 1832 and 1834,
and perhaps with her death the children took final steps to divide up
all the estate of their parents.

The children of Robert and Nancy Howard were:
Isaac, Ignatious, George, Robert, James, William, Mary Ann, Margaret and
Martha.
>From the estate records we know that Martha married John Rogers,
Margaret married William Warriner. I have not verified the marriages of
some of the sons but from information given me by others Ignatious
married Mary Duncan, George married Jane Pinner, Robert married Nancy
Crooks, James married Elizabeth unknown, and William married Susannah
Rogers.

Isaac is my personal ancestor. His 1812 pension application states that
he married first to Sarah MOORE in White Co TN on 9 July 1815. I do not
have the identity of Sarah's parents. Isaac married second a widow named
Judah/Judy GRIFFITH on 10 Mar 1856 in White Co. They had no children
together but he did raise 5 of her children.

Isaac and Sarah had the following:
Isaac JR, believed to have been killed in the Civil War. I have no
formal documentation of him.

William, believed to be WIlliam P. Howard who married Melinda Haston in
1839

Susan, classified as an idiot on the census, may have never married

Elizabeth married Jordan J or Julius J Baker in 1852

James married Sarah Caroline Walker in 1852

Nancy married James Lett in 1841

Sarah married Allen Medley in 1851

LOUISA JANE married #1 David Walker in 1850 and #2 Clayton McCormack in
1855. I am a descendant of Clayton and Louisa Jane.

If there is anyone else from this line I would appreciate hearing from
you.

Regina Roper
Florida

This thread: