WACOWLIT-L Archives

Archiver > WACOWLIT > 2002-08 > 1028611689

From: Shirley <>
Subject: [CWLTZ] Seeking descendants: Monticello Convention 1852
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 21:28:29 -0800

Hello Shirley! Thank you so much for your response! I would appreciate the
posting to the Cowlitz Co list. There are probably several descendants in that
area. You are very kind to do so. I do not know at this writing what the date or
extent of the celebration will be - all I know is that there was quite an affair
in 1952. This year's event will more than likely be just a re-dedication and
that's it but I did feel it is important that we 'round up' everyone we can. I
will let you know after this Wednesday's meeting (Cowlitz Historical Society and
City of Longview councilman) of any additional details! Tx for any help and for
forwarding the list! Junel

I am posting this message to the list with the permission of the original sender,
Junel Davidsen. Junel is trying to find as many of the Monticello Convention
signers' descendants as possible. Contact information is in the message. - shirley

Hello, I am looking for descendants of petition signers at Monticello Convention
in Nov. 1852 which petition lead to the creation of Washington Territory and to be
separated from Oregon Territory. The site of the signing is near the city of
Longview where a memorial is located commemorating that significant event. A
re-dedication of the memorial is being planned by Cowlitz County WA for the near
future. The intent of this message is to find all descendant families so that
they may be notified of the event when the date is set. Please see below for the
names of signers and the known descendants in 1952 (100 year anniversary). Hope
to see you at the 150th! You may contact me at: or
(underline the space between junel d) or write to me at Junel
Davidsen, PO Box 10816 Salinas CA 93912 or call me 831-759-9640 (message - home,
evening) or 831-796-1499 (work - day) Thanks!

LIST OF MONTICELLO CONVENTION PETITION SIGNERS (bold print)
AND
KNOWN DESCENDANTS (indented) AS OF NOVEMBER 1952
(data compiled by Junel Davidsen, descendant of B. C. Armstrong, July 2002)

Allen, E. J.

Armstrong, B.C. (Benjamin Charles)
Mrs. Eliza Persson of Renton
".large family scattered from Alaska to California.two sisters (Anita Bishop and
Mary Johnson) in Washington"

Bell, William N.
Banks, Mrs. Lyman .......... Seattle
Coffman, A. ............. Seattle
Dawson, Lewis ........... Seattle
Foulks, Mrs. J. ............ Seattle
Healy, Mrs. J. ............. Seattle
Linne, Mrs. Alvin ......... Seattle
McLauchlan, Mrs. R. .......... Seattle
Patten, Mrs. C. E. .......... Seattle
Reynolds, George ............ Seattle
Reynolds, Baily .......... Spokane
Wanamaker, Mrs. Allison T. ........ Seattle (informant)
Wanamaker, Temple .......... Washington D.C.

Brooks, Q.A.
Letter from Mrs. C. H. Hilton (see Hastings) indicated that Quincy Brooks had no
known living descendants.

Catlin, Seth
Catlin, Charles H........... Vancouver
Catlin, Fred ............. Kelso
Catlin, James ............. Yakima
Dunham, Mrs. Byrdeen ......... Seattle
Foster, Robert Seth* ........ Portland
Miller, Mrs. Erwin .......... Longview
Wolford, Catlin* ........... Portland
Wolford, James* ........... Oswego

Clarke, F. A. (Fred)
Mitten, Mrs. Paul .......... Longview

Collins, L. M.
Claim on White River or Duwamish, later settled with his family in Bellingham,
served as King County Commissioner.

Cook, A.

Crawford, A. (Alexander)
Harder, Donald V. ......... Portland
Harder, James ............ Portland
Harder, Robert Crawford ...... Portland
Harder, Mr. Robert ......... Hillsboro
Millhollen, William R. ........ Albany, OR
Yates, Elizabeth Crawford ....... Vancouver

Crawford, Peter W.
Crawford, Albert H. ......... living in the east
Crawford, William E........... living in the east
Gephart, Viola Crawford ........ living in the east
Glen, Mrs. Zillah Crawford ...... living in the east

Davis, L. L.
Crossed the plains in 1851, settled Claquato, died 1864.

Denny, A.A.
Bambord, Mrs. Percy ........ Seattle
Bouge, Mrs. Virgil .......... Seattle
Helicker, Mrs. Florence ....... Seattle
Watt, Mrs. Roberta Fry ........ Seattle

Drew, G.
Had town of Cascade surveyed.

Dillenbaugh, A. B.

Ferrick, E. L.

Ford, S. S.
Bissel, Mrs. Madge .......... Centralia
DuFour, Mrs. Hilda .......... Centralia
Hall, D. .............. Elma
Hall, Lloyd ............. Elma
Starling, Mrs. Pearl .......... Pacific Beach
Taggart, Mrs. Edna ......... Olympia

Fowler, J.
Fanning, 3 sons of Mrs. F.** ...... Vancouver
Fowler, Gilbert .......... Longview
Schraeder, Mrs. Walter ....... Kelso
Walker, Mrs. Kathleen ....... Kelso

Goldsborough, H. A.
Moved back east.

Hale, C. H.
Charles Case of Seattle (informant)
His step-father was a Calvin H. Hale. No descendants mentioned.

Hastings, L. B.
Hilton, Mrs. C. H. of Port Townsend (descendant/informant)
Others referred to but not mentioned by name

Hathaway, C. S.
Mrs. Eva King Burgett (dec'd Dec. 1979), Treasurer of Clark County WA
(descendant(?)/informant) said her uncle, A.O. Hathaway (born about 1866, son of
J. S. Hathaway) stated he was sure C. S. Hathaway should actually be J. S.
Hathaway who crossed the plains in 1852 and filed a donation claim in the
Ridgefield area; later moved to Clark Co.

Huntington, H. D. (Harry Darby)
Brewster, Mrs. Harry E. ....... Seattle
Deckart, Mrs. N. .......... Longview
Quick, Howard ............ Castle Rock
Quick, Randolph .......... Castle Rock
Huntington, Fred .......... Mapleton OR
Huntington, Jean .......... Castle Rock
Huntington, Attorney Lester ....... Kelso
Huntington, Walter ......... Mapleton OR
Huntington, William ......... Yakima
Presnell, Mrs. William ......... Longview
Pritchard, Mrs. Gordon ....... Seattle
Siverson, Mrs. Harry ........ Hazel Dell
Windsor, Harry ........... Shelton

Jackson, J. R. (a 'Bristisher'?)
Beireis, Mrs. George ........ Chehalis
Koontz, Miss Anna ........ Chehalis
Koontz, Miss Jessie ........ Seattle

Low, J. N.
Married to Lydia Colburn 1848 in Illinois, claimed land at Alki Point 1851, served
Commissioner for King County. Daughter married W. B. Sinclair - descendants?

McConaha, G. N.
Died 1853.

McCorkle, W. A. L.
Flamm, Mrs. D. ........... Portland
Kidder, Mrs. J. ........... Seattle
McCorkle, Mr. Alfred (Jr) ....... Raymond
McCorkle, Mrs. Howard ........ Lexington
McCorkle, Dr. Harold ......... Lexington
McCorkle, Linda Ann .......... Raymond
McCorkle, Miss Mae ......... Seattle
McCorkle, Mr. Marcus E........ Raymond
McCorkle, Mark ............ Raymond
McCorkle, Mr. Saville ........ Lexington
Slaugenhaupt, Mrs. H. E. (Flora M.) ... Lexington
Waseca, Mrs. A. .......... Spokane

Maynard, D. S. (Dr.)
Related by marriage to M.T. Simmons. No descendants

Miles, H. (Henry?)
Married Caroline P. Drew June 18, 1867 Lewis County; he died Feb. 26, 1890
Chehalis Co; grandson (?) Henry Miles born Jan 27, 1909 died Jan, 1974 Woodland
Cowlitz County.

Moses, S. P.
Disappeared after 1860.

Ostrander, N. (Nathaniel)
Foster, Robert Seth* ........ Portland
Preston, Mrs. Don .......... Seattle
Wolford, Catlin* ........... Portland
Wolford, James* ........... Oswego

Plamondon, Simon
Holloway, Mrs. M. E. ......... Woodland
Lee, Mrs. Michael ............ Olympia
Peterson, Robert ........... Longview
Plamondon, George E. ........ Olympia
Plamondon, John ........... Ephrata
Plamondon, Norbert J. ........ Olympia
Plamondon, Paul .......... Longview
Plamondon, Peter .......... Seattle
Plamondon, Dr. Ralph ........ Astoria
Sareault, James E. .......... Chehalis
Sarault, Attorney John ......... Chehalis
Stewart, Mrs. L. ........... Castle Rock
Other descendants not mentioned by name. California

Plumb, William W.

Porter, C. F.

Roberts, G. B.
On 1850 Lewis Co census with wife Martha and 3 children, wife died July 1850, what
happened to children? He remarried Rose Birnie - any children? Died Cathlamet 1883.

Ruddell, S. D. (Stephen)
Wenzell, Riley B. .......... Snoqualmie

Scott, A. F.

Simmons, A. J.
No known descendants. (per Mrs. Jessie Hillburger of Chehalis)

Simmons, M. T.
Ellison, Mrs. Anna ......... Olympia
Hillburger, Mrs. Jessie ....... Chehahis (informant)
Hinkley, Leona ........... Tacoma
Hustin, Mrs. Susie .......... Olympia
Osborn, Mrs. Irene ......... Olympia
Ralph, Mrs. Muriel ........ not shown
Simmons, Dave ........... Olympia
Simmons, Za Za ........... Mud Bay Rt, Olympia

Stone, N. (L.N.)
Moved across Cascades; no trace of descendants

Terry, C. C.
Lewis, Mr. Howard Terry ...... from the Sound
McChesney, Mrs. Margaret Terry ... from the Sound
Nute, Mrs. A. P. .......... Portland
Rudow, Mrs. E. W. .......... from the Sound

White, R. J.

Wilson, H. C.

Winslow, E. H.

Wylie, A.

*descendants of both Seth Catlin and N. Ostrander: Seth Catlin's son, Charles,
married Dr. Nathaniel Ostrander's daughter, Theresa.
**relationship stated descends from Maggie Fowler

This thread: