WADE-L Archives

Archiver > WADE > 1999-11 > 0943659325


From: "David M. Waid" <>
Subject: [WADE-L] John WADE of Lyme, CT
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 18:35:25 -0500


I just received this information in the mail from another Wade family
researcher. Thought it might be of interest to others on this list who are
looking to identify the John WADE, Sr. of Lyme, CT.
On 31 March 1680, John Waede of Southhold ( variously described as a
carpenter, millwright, and miller) entered into an "Article of Agreement
with the inhabitants of Brookhaven to build a mill on the same stream where
the town mill stood. The townsmen to build the dam." (Brookhaven Rec B
37-38,61) The need for a grist mill was acute. During the first few years
grain was transported to Connecticut to be ground, but after an accident
that claimed three lives on one such trip, the necessity for a mill at
Setauket became urgent. The first grist mill was built in 1659. (Setauket,
The First 300 Years - E.P. Adkins) This earlier mill had apparantly been
destroyed. The village was known as Ashford or Conscience Bay. (Early
History of Suffolk County Long Island - H. Nicoll) The location of the mill
was in the west part of the village on a stream flowing into Conscience Bay.
(See Map of Long Island, Hyde & Co., Brooklyn N.Y. 2nd Ed, July 1879)
As part of the agreement, the town granted John Wade several tracts of
property. He received two lots of about 100 acres at Bigg's Hill (later
Mount Misery or Belle Terre) and a 5 acre lot at the Little Neck (now
Strong's Neck). These properties are described as lots 16 and 44 in the
Proprietors list of 1734/5 as "starting on the north side of the country
road beginning at the Smithtown line and running eastward to Wading River".
(Brookhaven Rec C:122) John Wade and probably his new wife Elizabeth Durant
moved to Setauket about 15 October 1680 when he rented a house and homelot
from Robert Goulsbery for two years. (Brookhaven Rec B: 61) His cattle mark
was registered on 3 November 1680.
The work on the mill went slowly, and it was not until 27 April 1681 that
they were ready for the machinery. On that date John Wade entered into a
contract with John Tomson, the blacksmith, to trade 50 acres of the Mount
Misery property for the ironwork for a double gear water mill. John Wade was
to furnish the patterns for the work (Brookhaven Rec B:71-72) On 17 May
1681 he sold the other 50 acres at Mount Misery to John Lee. (Brookhaven Rec
B:154) Work on the mill progressed slowly, and there were arguments as to
the efficiency of the mill and the condition of the dam. On 21 November 1681
it was necessary to mortgae the 5 acre lot on the Neck to Isaac Arnold of
Southhold. (Brookhaven Rec B:61)
By 10 April 1684, having had enough, John Wade and Elizabeth his wife
signed over his interest in the mill to Arthur Futhy for L 60. (Brookhavan
Rec B:189) The arguments continued as to the acceptance of the dam, and on
12 and 13 May 1684 the townsmen appointed arbiters from Oyster Bay to come
and view the efficiency of the mill and the condition of the dam.
(Brookhaven Rec B:192-193)
John Wade proceeded to look for other prospects. On 26 September 1684 he
was offered an agreement by the Town of Lyme Connecticut to remove there,
and to operate their mill. (Lyme Rec I:146) He proceered to liquidate his
remaining property at Setauket. He sold on 30 December 1684 his 5 acre lot
at Little Neck to Isaac Daiton. (Brookhaven Rec B:216-217) He remained that
winter at Setauket, probably because his wife was pregnant with Deborah. On
1 May 1685 he sold his Bay mare to Arthur Futhy. (Brookhaven Rec B:511)
Having moved his family from Long Island, he recorded the agreement with
the Town of Lyme on 12 May 1685 to buy one half the corn mill. (see above)
This mill was located at the headwaters of the Lieutenant River, and was
originally erected in 1672. This location is off Sill Lane at the end of
Mill Lane in Old Lyme village. (Landmarks of Old Lyme, pg 22-23) As usual
this mill and the grinding of corn had been a constant source of argument
among the townspeople. They now sought a better miller who could fix the
machinery and operate it properly. On 25 May 1685 the town meeting gave
John Wade the possession of the mill by a vote of 16 to 14. (Lyme Rec pg 47)
On 26 November 1685 Ensign Peck and Sergeant Thomas Lee were directed to lay
out a lot for the miller. (Lyme Rec pg 48) On 30 July 1686 the Town granted
him 102 rods and a half of upland next to the mill site and the highway.
(Lyme Rec I:146)
At the meeting of 26 February 1694, John Wade is called "Corporal Wade"
indicating his position in the Military Company or Trainband. He was
granted "a piece of land lying on the right hand side of the cart path from
Corporal Wade's to the corn mill not exceeding six acres, to be a free gift
of the Town". (Lyme Rec pg 77) On 7 December 1696 the townspeople were
directed to deliver to Corporal Wade the mill stream running. (Lyme Rec pg
82) At a town meeting on 15 December 1698 John Wade Sr was chosen Constable
for the next year. (Lyme Rec pg 85)
As usual with early grist mills, the complaints continued about the
grinding. On 13 January 1701/2 the town meeting directed Captain Ely,
Lieutenant Brunson, and Joseph Peck to treat with these complaints and
resolve the issues.(Lyme Rec pg 93) One mill failed to satisfy John Wade
Sr, and by ll December 1702 he had engaged with Thomas Bradford, Joseph
Beckwith, George Way, and Roger Alger to construct and operate a corn mill
on Beckwith's property at Nauantick (now Niantic) in East Lyme. This mill
was later operated by John Wade Jr who married a granddaughter of George
Way. At the town meeting of 11 December 1705, John Wade Sr was chosen
Collector of the Ministers Rate for the next year. (Lyme Rec pg 111)
david

This thread: