WALLINGFORD-L Archives

Archiver > WALLINGFORD > 2000-04 > 0954634316

Subject: [WALLINGFORD-L] Letter dated 12-10-1909
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 19:11:56 EST

Letter addressed to J.D. Wallingford at Des Moines, Iowa from Laura
Goodman-McElvee of Sigourney, Iowa dated 12-10-1909

Dear Sir and Counsin:

Your letter addressed to my son-in-law, F. L. Goeldner, received in due time,
seeking information in regard to the Christian name of Hiram Wallingsford's
father, (my great-grandfather), also yours. He was named Nicholas, a native
of Culpepper County, Virginia--removed to Mason County, Kentucky, about 1775,
lived to a ripe old age and died near Mt. Gilead, the same county, leaving a
large family of sons and daughters. The sons, William, James, Marcus, John
(my grand-father) Hiram, (yours) Lewis and Thomas. The daughters were
Prudence, who married Samuel Becket, Sarah married Samuel Hull, Nancy,
married Asberry, Elizabeth married Reeder, Mary, called "Polly" married
Daniel Boone, cousin of "Pioneer Daniel", Juliana married Albert Warder and
Sophrona married a Mr. Bragg; all of them I knew personally except Mrs.
Bragg. Nicholas, our great-grandfather had two brothers I knew when a little
girl, named Richard and Joseph. Richard had one son that I remember "Squire"
and moved to near Covington, Kentucky. Joseph two sons, Basil and Thornton,
lived and died near Mt. Gilead, but neither had a daughter named Rebecca.
Now, to go down the line of the progeny of Nicholas,-John was his third
oldest son, my mother's father and my grandfather; Hiram the 5th son, was
your grandfather, and the father of John Nicholas, your father, and named for
Nicholas the first. John, my grandfather had four sons, Joseph who lived and
died in Maysville, Kentucky, a decade or more ago and who doubtless you knew.
Alexander died in Pittsburg, Pa in 1868, a mutil-millionaire, left on
daughter who died in childhood. Daniel Perry died at Weston, Missouri, and
left three daughters, two now living in St. Louis, William Payne, died in or
new St. Joseph, Mo. and left five sons, four of whom I knew and visited in
1858 near "DeKalb" Mo. The daughters of John, my grandfather, were Clarissa,
Mary and Elizabeth who was my mother and married Fielding L. Goodman of
Virginia, but resided and died near Mt. Gilead, Mason County, Ky. The
gentleman in question, C. H. Murrow, didn't say who his great-grandmother
married, and if she lived in Mason or Fleming County. If you can ascertain
that fact from him and let me know, perhaps could give the desired
information establishing the realtionship; and, if not, can write to my
sister, living near Flemingsburg, Ky., who always lived among them and has a
more extended knowledge. And in conclusion will suggest that you make a
typewritten copy of this for future reference and please excuse my apparent
delay. My eyes are very weak which forbids my using them very often.

We are all in usual health and with best regards from Virginia, Ferd and
myself for you and yours, I am.

Your sincere cousin,

Laura Goodman-McElvee

This thread: