WALTON-L Archives

Archiver > WALTON > 2003-04 > 1051334423

From: Ray Shoemaker <>
Subject: Re: [WALTON] Prince Edward County, VA Waltons
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:20:37 -0700 (PDT)

John Walton born ca 1715 was married to a Ann, last
name unknown, abouut 1737. The primary source for this
info is a text by Raymond Bell and Harriet Hardaway:
"James Clemens of Washington County, Pa 1734-1795 and
His Family." However, Mr Bell does not mention Prince
Edwards Co; that info came from another Walton
researcher. Mr Bell instead speculates that John
Walton came from Loundon Co, VA, or possibly from
Morris Co, NJ.

In double checking my records I do not see any source
listed showing John Walton in Prince Edward Co. The
IGI and Ancestral File show that his son William (my
4th GGF) was born in Orange or Prince Edwards Co.
However, again no source is given for that
information.

John Walton does appear on the tax list for
Greeenbrier Co in 1784, along with his son John Jr.
John Sr died in that co in 1786; John Jr died there in
1808 (per Raymond Bell).

My 4th GGF William Walton lived in Halifax Co. Va
about 1785, Augusta Co. Va about 1791, and Rutherford
Co. NC about 1794. He died 4-7-1826 in St Louis Co,
MO, and his will was probated 4-12-1826.

From the St Louis area my branch of the Walton family
moved across the Mississippi River to Calhoun Co, IL
by 1830. My GGF Alfred Walton was born in Calhoun Co
IL in 1843 and moved to Kaufman Co, TX sometime
between 1873 and 1880. He died in Valliant, McCurtain
Co OK in 1897 (Indian Territory).

For anyone interested I have my Walton data at
WorldConnect:

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=raywshoe&id=I139

My apologies for the confusion re Prince Edward Co. As
Wilmer L. Kerns pointed out, Prince Edward Co did not
exist in 1715. It was formed 2-27-1752, and Orange Co
was formed 2-1-1734. John Walton may (or may not) have
lived in either of those counties, but he certainly
was not born there.

Ray Shoemaker

=== message truncated ===