WAMSLEY-L Archives

Archiver > WAMSLEY > 1998-05 > 0895985428

From: "Kathryn Bassett" <>
Subject: [WAMSLEY-L] NEWSLETTER #8
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 21:50:28 -0700

WAMSLEY~WEB NEWSLETTER #8
*******
No connection to my knowledge. According to the 1885 and 1895 census
information, my Edward J. Wamsley b. 1820-
21 in Ireland, d. between 1885 and 1895 (spouse, Mary Ann Cosgrove Wamsley,
listed as widow in 1895 census). As
of the 1885 census, Edward (64) and Mary (60) had resided in Reno Twp.,
Pope
Co., MN for a period of at least 15
years. I have unconfirmed information that Edward J. and Mary Byrn
Cosgrove
Wamsley married in Kentucky in mid-
1850's. This was Mary Byrn Cosgrove's second marriage (first husband
Michael
Cosgrove). Mary had 3 or possibly 4
children by Michael Cosgrove, which may have included her daughter, Mary Ann
Wamsley Kane, b. 3 March 1854, d. 2
Dec. 1910. I have no information to date on parents or siblings of Edward
J..
< KENTUCKY WAMSLEYS
Jim Hamilton asked about some specific Wamsleys in Kentucky. I do not have
any of those names in my database, but
my notes show that we do have at least one family who migrated to KY:
Thomas
(1752-1866), s/o John WAMSLEY
and Judith DORCUS, m. Margaret "Comfort" Ingram 1776. Children: Thomas m.
Rebecca STEWART in Montgomery Co.,
KY; Elizabeth m. James ELLEDGE; John b. 1787 m. Sarah ______ in Montgomery
Co., KY; and (daughter) WAMSLEY m.
______ RIGGS. Could there be a connection? >>
It seems unlikely. My Edward J. born Ireland, 1820-21, according to current
information.
Jim Hamlton
*******
Mary Ann,
You are right about the union of Margaret Talbott and John Alonzo Gibson. I
have not been able to find anyone who can
tell me anything about it. S. Margaret Talbott's marriage to John Gibson
was
passed on by oral family history. My
grandfather told my father that the couple had 3 girls - Virginia, Belle,
and
Sally. No one in my immediate family has any
idea what happened to those daughters. I have tried writting to a couple of
Gibson researchers, but have not heard
from them. My grandfather told some of his children that John Gibson taught
him carpentry. Another mystery:
Margaret's oldest son Elisha died in 1905. The records of Primitive Baptist
Church Cemetary state that he was the son
of Margaret Wamsley (not Gibson). Anyone have any ideas?
*******

Hoyt,
I have Janes and Williams, but could not make a connection to yours. Do you
have a birth date for William? I have these
Lamberts: Alfred Yokum Lambert, Gordon Lambert, William F.
mbert. -Wanda
*******
Hal,
Mary Ann pointed out to me that some of my Robinson information is wrong.
Who
were the children of James William
Robinson (1704-1781) and Mary Margaret McKinney (1712-1781)? -Wanda
*******
Seeking Lyle Martin, researching Wamsleys in Minnesota 1870 - 19xx. Last
known to be living in St. Cloud. MN. Please
e-mail with any information.

Jim Hamilton
*******
Wanda -- I just got this message from Shirley Toohey, who has run across a
WAMSLEY researcher on her genealogy
association list in CA. How are you at getting "snail mail" written? I'm
terrible and I know I will not get around to
contacting this person for a long time -- here's Shirley's message, in case
you can find time to drop a note re the
Wamsley~Web:

". . . just rec'd this surname index from my WAGS group ( Whittier Area
Genealogical Society) Never get to meetings (it was Sat.) but
my friend picked up my index.

First off checked to see who was being researched! Found a Wamsley
...Samuel m. in Harrison Co, WV 1796. That is only clue but the person
who is member that is researching this Wamsley family is Juanita O.
Rose, 13908 E. Glenn Dr. , Whittier, CA 90605-2615
with pho #562-693-2050. No e-mail add. given."
Mary Ann
*******
I just got a letter from Jean Snyder Loudin the other day. She has done
some
research on Wamsley and some of the
related families. She said that Andrew Marcellus Wamsley is recorded as
Andrew Marchial Wamsley in the family's
Bible.
She also gave me some Talbott information that tied together a lot of the
information that I have gotten from Mary Ann,
Sue, and Shirley.
Ancestors of S. Margaret Talbott
Generation No. 1
1. S. Margaret Talbott, born 1846; died 1908. She was the daughter of 2.
Elisha Talbott and 3. Millie (Amelia/
Mildred) Stephens. She married (1) George Fisher Wamsley March 29, 1866.(2)
John Alonzo Gibson. George Wamsley
was the son of Andrew Marcellus Wamsley and Mary Harper.
Notes
Talbotts are on record as living in Randolph County, West Virginia,
prior
to the year 1800.
Buried in Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery, Randolph County, West
Virginia. ( The first church in Barbour, in fact in
all of Randolph County, was Bethel Chapel, the Primitive Baptist church just
west of Meadowville. When the division in
the Baptist denomination came in 1838-39, Bethel remained with the
conservative group and hence is known as a
Primitive Baptist Church. The log church was used until 1870's when it was
torn down and replaced by a frame church
which in turn served the congregation until 1944 when it was leveled by a
tornado. A new church stands on the same
site. Source: "FIRST CHURCH IN BARBOUR COUNTY ESTABLISHED AT MEADOWVILLE IN
1795", BARBOUR
DEMOCRAT, Philippi, West Virginia, Thursday, April 1953; by Eva Margaret
Carnes. From the Randolph County Museum.)
Children of S. Talbott and John Gibson are:
i.Virginia Gibson.
ii.Belle Gibson.
iii.Sally Gibson.
Children of S. Talbott and George Wamsley are:
i.Elisha T. Wamsley, born 1867; died March 18, 1905.
ii.Lash Wamsley, died Deceased.
iii.Russie Wamsley.
iv.Will Wamsley.
v.Jasper Newton (Jack) Wamsley, born April 27, 1873 in Indiana; died
March
02, 1962 in
Petersburg, Virginia; buried in Blandford Cemetery, Petersburg, Virginia.;
married (1) Anna Hovatter 1893 in Tucker
County, West Virginia; married (2) Julia Frances Motley Abt 1900; married
(3)
Mary Edna Motley Abt 1910.
vi.John Huff Wamsley, born October 10, 1875 in Elkins, West Virginia;
died
August 13, 1964;
married Rebecca Alice Canfield May 15, 1900.
vii.Robert Plummer "Bob" Wamsley, born January 29, 1880 in Elkins, West
Virginia; died April
29, 1971; married Sarah Thorne.
Generation No. 2
2. Elisha Talbott, born January 07, 1804 in Philippi, Harrison County,
Virginia; died May 24, 1880 in Barbour
County, West Virginia1. He was the son of 4. Richard Talbott and 5.
Margaret
Dowden. He married 3. Millie (Amelia/
Mildred) Stephens December 20, 1820 in Philippi, Harrison County, Virginia.
3. Millie (Amelia/ Mildred) Stephens.
Notes
Elisha's will was dated February 24, 1876 and was probated May 29,
1880.
Executors of the will were Isaac D.
Talbott and Robert R. Talbott. Witness was E. D. Talbott. He left his wife
$1000 and the household goods, his daughter
Josephine $400, and the rest equally divided to his children.
Children of Elisha Talbott and Millie Stephens are:
1i.S. Margaret Talbott, born 1846; died 1908; married (1) John Alonzo
Gibson; married (2)
George Fisher Wamsley March 29, 1866.
ii.William C. Talbott.
iii.Robert R. Talbot.
iv.Elam Talbott, born 1829; married Rosiah.
v.Edwin S. Talbott.
vi.Isaac D. Talbott, born 1823; married Martha Mitchell.
vii.Irvin (?Evan) F. Talbott, born 1836.
viii.Josephine Talbott, born 1838.
ix.Elizabeth Talbott, born 1831; married Addison Reed.
x.Angelina Talbott, born 1840; died Deceased; married William B. Woodford
June 27, 1858 in
Philippi, Harrison County, Virginia.
Generation No. 3
4. Richard Talbott, born November 16, 1764 in Barbour County, Virginia
(?Maryland)2; died November 06,
1847 in Barbour County, Virginia. He was the son of 8. William Talbott, Jr.
and 9. Elizabeth Cottrill. He married 5.
Margaret Dowden December 22, 1788 in Philippi, Harrison County, Virginia
(later West Virginia)3.
5. Margaret Dowden, born December 25, 1776 in Barbour County, Virginia;
died
September 12, 18594.
Notes
After the death of his father William (after 1778), Richard was
apprenticed. He was mistreated, so his brother
Cottrill, sister Charity and he ran off to present day Barbour County, West
Virginia. (Richard, along with his sister
Charity, his brother Cottrill and their mother Elizabeth Cottrill Talbott,
fled an indenture in Virginia and settled on the
frontier.)
The Talbott land was 1-1/4 miles northwest of present day Phillipi,
West
Virginia and less than one mile west of the
Tygarts Valley River.
Marriage Notes
Richard and Margaret were pioneers of Philippi, West Virginia.
Children of Richard Talbott and Margaret Dowden are:
i.Samuel Talbott, born December 13, 1790 in Monongalia County, Virginia;
died January 21,
1861; married (1) Sarah Wells July 27, 1811; married (2) Sarah McKinney
February 03, 1818.
ii.Mary Ann Talbott, born November 07, 1792.
iii.Jacob Talbott, born September 03, 1794; died September 20, 1856;
married Nancy
McKinney November 04, 1815.
iv.Abraham Talbott, born October 16, 1796; died 1812; married Emiranda
Minear Abt 1814 in
Virginia.
v.Isaac Talbott, born September 02, 1798; married Comfort Ingram
September
07, 1818.
vi.Robert Talbott, born February 03, 1801 in Philippi, Harrison County,
Virginia; died March
01, 1885 in Barbour County, West Virginia; married Mary Woodford November
12, 1818 in Barbour County, Virginia.
2vii.Elisha Talbott, born January 07, 1804 in Philippi, Harrison County,
Virginia; died May 24,
1880 in Barbour County, West Virginia; married (1) Millie (Amelia/ Mildred)
Stephens December 20, 1820 in Philippi, Harrison County, Virginia; married
(2)
Sarah Thompson February 05, 1857.
viii.Silas Talbott, born June 11, 1806; died February 07, 1877; married
Mary Sarah McKinney
March 20, 1826.
ix.Absalom Talbott, born September 22, 1807; married Elizabeth Young
December 05, 1823.
x.Elam Dowden Talbott, born July 06, 18105; died June 23, 1881; married
(1)
Margaret
Capito January 20, 1841; married (2) Julia Ann Capito May 12, 1860 in
Philippi, Harrison County, Virginia.
xi.Zachariah Talbott, born April 13, 1813.
xii.Margaret Talbott, born October 27, 1815 in Philippi, Harrison County,
Virginia; died April 15,
1849 in Doodridge County, West Virginia; married James Welch November 24,
1834
in Harrison County, Virginia.
xiii.Elizabeth Talbott, born December 15, 1819; died October 17, 1908;
married George W. Gall
October 01, 1840.
Generation No. 4
8. William Talbott, Jr., born 1735 in Northumberland County, England6;
died
1778 in Fairfax County, Virginia.
He was the son of 16. William Talbot Sr.. He married 9. Elizabeth Cottrill
Abt 1757 in Northumberland County, England.
9. Elizabeth Cottrill.
Notes
Elizabeth may have gone to Barbour County, Virginia with her sons.
Some
traditions say that during Indian troubles
they fled east and Elizabeth and Charity did not return. This occured
between
1780 and 1787.
Several Cottrill families settled in the Hacker's Creek area.
Children of William Talbott and Elizabeth Cottrill are:
4i.Richard Talbott, born November 16, 1764 in Barbour County, Virginia
(?Maryland); died
November 06, 1847 in Barbour County, Virginia; married Margaret Dowden
December
22, 1788 in Philippi, Harrison County, Virginia (later West Virginia).
ii.Daniel Talbott.
iii.Charity Talbott.
iv.Cottrill Talbott, died 1801-1802; married Elizabeth Reger.
Generation No. 5
16. William Talbot Sr.. He was the son of 32. John Talbot.
Child of William Sr. is:
8i.William Talbott, Jr., born 1735 in Northumberland County, England;
died
1778 in Fairfax
County, Virginia; married Elizabeth Cottrill Abt 1757 in Northumberland
County, England.
Generation No. 6
32. John Talbot.
Child of John Talbot is:
16i.William Talbot Sr..
Endnotes
1. Barbour County, West Virginia Book of Deeds 1853 - 1919, Will Books 1 &
1
1/2 1839 - 1889, page 246 (will or deed
pages 310 - 312)
2. Maxwell's Randolph County History, Barbour County History, and
"Geneology
of Thomas Hall" (McClain Printing
Company)Records of Jean Snyder Loudin.
3. Patricia Viellenave: a list of marriages celebrated in Randolph County,
Virginia from 1784 to 1794.
4. Records of Jean Snyder Loudin.
5. Hu Maxwell's "History of Randolph County"Hu Maxwell's "History of
Barbour
County", McClain Printing Company
6. Records of Shirley Toohey.
7. Records of Jean Snyder Loudin.
*******
i would really like to have newsletters 1-6 - i didn't realize how many
wamsley relatives i have - i remember going to that old house on becca's
creek, where they said someone was buried under - we used to pick up
hickory nuts under it Dennis
*******
Mary Ann,
As a source for Matthew, father of Judith Dorcus, I have "data by Gary
Wamsley of Loveland, Colorado. References
research by Francis Yocum." I think I may have gotten this from a gedcom on
the ARFHS site.(??)
*******

i would really like to have newsletters 1-6 - i didn't realize how many
wamsley relatives i have - i remember going to that old house on becca's
creek, where they said someone was buried under - we used to pick up
hickory nuts under it Dennis
Dennis - tell more about the place you mentioned above. I have never been
West Virginia and don't know what you
are talking about. Thanks, Wanda
*******
I noticed the addition of WilburW683 to the list -- could this be the
Wilbur
Harvey Wamsley who originally sent me the OH
information??

Mary Ann
*******
I sent a request for our newsletter to be added to Cyndi Howell's list of
family newsletters at her genealogy site.
However, she is very backed up and is still answering requests from
March....
*******
The ARFHS site lists a "Wamsley Cemetary near Valley Bend, 1/4 mile from
Tygart River Bridge. Get permission from
Andy Wamsley." Does anyone know who he is? Does anyone know which Wamsleys
are buried in that cemetary?
*******
I would like to find out where my great-grandfather, George Fisher Wamsley,
is
buried. His wife and one son that I
know of are buried in the Brick Church Cemetary. The last place he lived,
the best of my knowledge, was
Huttonsville. Is there anyone who can tell me where I should start?
George Fisher Wamsley was born August 10, 1845 in Randolph County, West
Virginia and died February 21, 1881. He
was the son of Andrew Marcellus Wamsley and Mary Harper. He married S.
Margaret Talbott March 29, 1866.
********
Thanks and please keep your info coming in. A few words are just as welcome
as several pargraphs of family history.
Later - Wanda

This thread: