WARREN-L Archives

Archiver > WARREN > 1998-03 > 0890290548

From: "Heidi E. Hafner" <>
Subject: Humphrey Warren, 1632-1673, of MD.
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 23:55:48 -0700

I have been researching my WARREN line for sometime now. I am a bit
confused with Humphrey Warren, Sr., b. July 07, 1632 in Poynton, Cheshire,
England and d. Bef. May 09, 1673, in Hatton's Point, Charles Co., MD
(source: "The Warrens and You", by Elizabeth P. Ellsberry, pg 38-39).

He married three times in England. By his first wife, which one of my
sources names as Mary, he had Col. Humphrey Warren, Jr., of Charles Co.,
MD, b. before 1652, died 1694.

By his second wife, Eleanor Unknown by one source, Eleanor Smoot by
another, he had Thomas Warren, of Charles Co., MD. My source for Eleanor
Smoot says she was born circa 1672, in Chicamuxen, Charles Co., MD.
However, this would mean that first, she was 40 years younger than
Humphrey, and second, she would have been younger than 13 years old when
she had Thomas.

Yet another source said that Eleanor Smoot was actually the wife of
Humphrey Sr's son Humphrey Jr, which actually makes sense, except that I
have his two wives names as Marjery Cage and Judith Unknown.

My belief is that history got the two Humphreys mixed up, but I can't prove
it. Is there anyone out there that can help me sort this mess?

Humphrey, Sr. was granted 300 acres called " Frailty" in Charles Co., MD on
February 12, 1663. He was chosen to be Commissioner of the Peace, on
September 16, 1670.

Humphrey, Jr. was Commissioner of the Peace, in 1675, and Appointed Colonel
of Foot, Charles Co., in 1689.

Thank you for any information at all on these two.

Heidi Hafner, Idaho
Heidi Hafner
Mailto:
http://netnow.micron.net/~hehafner
Page me @ http://wwp.mirabilis.com/917231
AOL Instant Messenger: Kaffee8268

Researching: WARREN JAMES, WINKEL, GEISLER,
WELLS, TURNER, HAFNER, LEHNIGK