WARWICK-L Archives

Archiver > WARWICK > 2009-06 > 1244793318

From: "Jemma Lough" <>
Subject: Re: [WAR] Southam orphanage/Convent of the Sisters of the PoorChild Jesus
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:55:18 +0100
References: <mailman.1305.1243753343.31517.warwick@rootsweb.com><05CFADAEB8784CFFB77E52D2AC7187CD@kenpoolePC><7D02CFDABE6346E5BD74B07829AC638E@acer2e68c49b20><A0E3AC191116497A99392DCB6B910BE6@Jemm><ae92bbb3040dc1be2b0ffb39324c9f34@vfast.co.uk><961081FA55D7466498ED7F4111A74B66@Jemm><F507858CDAAA4B87BF2F1303D694EA48@PaulsMedionPC><D1BEEAE0CD2A48C5A1984DED1655F903@Jemm>
In-Reply-To: <D1BEEAE0CD2A48C5A1984DED1655F903@Jemm>

Just to give you helpful people an update.

I heard back from a Sister at the convent who searched the school's
admission register and found the following brief factual information.

Ernest Franklin
Date of admission: 11.4.04
Date of birth: 22.3.95
Parent or Guardian: Mr. Humphreys, Southam
Former School: Leamington
Withdrawal(from the school) 7.11.06

She also mentioned that similar brief records of children in the actual
convent are available but seem to relate only to girls, while that boys and
girls are found in the school registers.

At least I now know when he joined and left the school, that he was a
schoolboy rather than a boarder, that there almost certainly was some family
tie between him and Elizabeth Humphries (the name is spelt in various ways
in the documents I've found) and that his previous school was in Leamington.

So, I now need to find out more about schools in Leamington at that time and
to do more digging around the Humphries, as I haven't yet found one called
Phyllis and am not sure why he moved from Leamington to Southam and
ultimately back again. If anyone has any other suggestions for lines of
enquiry that I've overlooked, please shout out!

Kind regards

Jemma

Jemma Lough (née Carter) in Cambridgeshire
Researching BARNES (Gloucestershire/Oxon/Worcestershire/Warwickshire),
CARTER (Foleshill/Coventry), FRANKLIN (Leamington), MANN (Soham), PLUMB
(Coventry), SPICER (Haverhill), STANLEY (Stratford), TURNER
(Soham/Haverhill)

From: [mailto:] On
Behalf Of Jemma Lough
Sent: 02 June 2009 09:27
Subject: Re: [WAR] Southam orphange/Convent of the Sisters
ofthePoorChildJesus

Hi Paul

I have stumbled across this link before when hunting around for the
orphanage - but I very much appreciate you thinking of me :)

Kind regards

Jemma

Jemma Lough (née Carter) in Cambridgeshire
Researching BARNES (Gloucestershire/Oxon/Worcestershire/Warwickshire),
CARTER (Foleshill/Coventry), FRANKLIN (Leamington), MANN (Soham), PLUMB
(Coventry), SPICER (Haverhill), STANLEY (Stratford), TURNER
(Soham/Haverhill)

From: [mailto:] On
Behalf Of Paul Prescott
Sent: 01 June 2009 16:23
Subject: Re: [WAR] Southam orphange/Convent of the Sisters of
thePoorChildJesus

Jemma:

You might be interested in this link, which has a picture of the convent
about the time that your grandfather was there.

esource=157

Paul

From: "Jemma Lough" <>
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: [WAR] Southam orphange/Convent of the Sisters of the
PoorChildJesus

> Angela
> Thank you so much for these details! I searched on the web but hadn't come
> across this website at all. I'll drop them an email and see if they can
> tell
> me any more about this rather enigmatic chap.
> Kind regards
> Jemma
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [mailto:]
> On
> Behalf Of ag.hamilton
> Sent: 01 June 2009 12:41
> Subject: Re: [WAR] Southam orphange/Convent of the Sisters of the Poor
> ChildJesus
> If you email the Sisters they may be able to help - they are still in
> Southam.
> Send it to and put 'Archives' in the
> subject line. (When I contacted the archivist at a RC order she was
> extremely helpful and sent me loads of info. ).
> Angela
> On 1 Jun 2009, at 11:51 am, Jemma Lough wrote:
>> Hi all
>> Does anyone know if records survive for the Convent/Orphanage of the
>> Sisters
>> of the Poor Child Jesus in Southam? Or indeed if there is any
>> information on
>> the background of children they took in and whether they put them out
>> to
>> board? My mum believes my grandfather Ernest Charles Franklin (DOB
>> 1895) was
>> there as a child but I have not yet found any firm evidence for that
>> and he
>> was boarding in a private house at the age of six years (1901 census)
>> and
>> then 16 years (1911 census). It may be relevant that in 1901 he was
>> boarding
>> with a woman who was living in the house he was born four years before
>> his
>> birth and her daughter (although not in the same house) but I've not
>> yet
>> found a family link between them.
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Jemma
> List archives are at
> http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/WARWICK
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message
> List archives are at
> http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/WARWICK
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message

List archives are at http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/WARWICK