WASHBURN-SOUTHERN-L Archives

Archiver > WASHBURN-SOUTHERN > 2003-06 > 1056054951

Subject: Washburn Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test Match 12 for 12
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:35:51 EDT

Dear Washburn Cousins:

After the test results from our first three Washburn DNA participants
came back "unrelated," I started to get worried. I am happy, however, to report
that we have a match after the fourth participant's results were announced
yesterday. It is, however, only a minor victory. The latest test results indicate
that my father, John Washburne, Sr., is my perfect Y-chromosome DNA match!
Since we told no one at Family Tree DNA or the testing lab of our family
connection, I can only conclude that the science really does work. More importantly,
being the youngest in my family, I was always teased by my older siblings that
I was found on the street and really didn't belong to the family! Now I have
scientific proof (after some forty plus years) that they were wrong!

Besides indicating others who share a similar Y-chromosome with you,
Family Tree testing lab also does a DNA analysis of your ancient family roots. In
that regard, Anthropologists break down the Y-chromosome into branches called
haplogroups or clades. My test indicated "that you belong to Haplogroup I."
Here is what they said about that group: "The I, I1, and I1a lineages are
nearly completely restricted to northwestern Europe. These would most likely have
been common within Viking populations. One lineage of this group extends down
into central Europe."

I found this Viking connection interesting because when I started to
trace our paternal line past Sir Roger Washbourne, who was a knight in England in
the 1200's, I learned that we were descended from the Hauteville family of
France and Norway. One of the genealogical websites noted the Viking heritage of
this family: "The obscure house of Tancred of Hauteville was burdened with
twelve husky sons, all of whom made their way to southern Italy. Tancred was a
Viking conqueror."

If you are interested in joining the Washburn DNA study, please click here:
<A HREF="http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=B87827">DNA
Washburn Group</A>
http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=B87827

Good luck with your family searches!

Your cousin,
Mark Washburne
Author of A BIOGRAPHY OF ELIHU BENJAMIN WASHBURNE: ILLINOIS WHIG AND
REPUBLICAN CONGRESSMAN DURING THE RISE OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN and ILLINOIS REPUBLICAN
CONGRESSMAN DURING THE CIVIL WAR AND THE RISE OF ULYSSES S. GRANT. These books are
now available by calling the publisher toll-free at 1-888-795-4274 or on-line
at the following locations:
<A HREF="http://www.xlibris.com/ABiographyofElihu.html">;
http://www.xlibris.com/ABiographyofElihu.html</A>;
<A HREF="https://www1.xlibris.com/bookstore/bookdisplay.asp?bookid=13835">
Xlibris.com Elihu Washburne Civil War</A>

This thread: