WASHBURN-L Archives

Archiver > WASHBURN > 2005-10 > 1128778114

Subject: James and Sarah Washburn parents of Hiram Washburn
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 09:28:34 EDT

This is my brick wall.

There is a birth record of Hiram M. Washburn b. 9 Nov 1800 in Pelham Vital
Records, Mass; parents: James and Sarah B. Washburn.

My Hiram B. Washburn married Rachael Hand in Talbot Co., GA about 1825. They
lived in GA for a number of years before moving to AL where they lived until
their deaths after 1880.

I have found a deed record of James Washburn and Rich'd Samson selling land
in Greene Co., GA in 1794.

I found a record from the Baldwin Co., GA Court of Orinary Court Minutes at
the GA Archives concerning land owned by Sarah Washburn, dec'd that the
administrator, Emund Jenkins wanted to sell to distribute to her heirs and
creditors. The land was in Wilkinson Co., GA. 8 Jan 1817.

I also found that a James Harvey Washburn, a native of Mass, was missing in
1823. This notice was posted from Telfair Co.

Hiram B. Washburn, b. Mass, lived GA & AL had a grandson named James Harvey
Washburn.

GA Colonial & Headright Plat Index 1735 - 1866 show a James Harvey owned
land in Wilkinson Co., GA I think about 1786.

Questions: Does anyone have proof that the James Washburn who sold land in G
reene Co., GA in 1794 and the Sarah Washurn who died in Baldwin Co 1816
owning land in Wilkinson Co., GA were the same James and Sarah B. Washburn who
were the parents of Hiram M. Washburn b. 9 Nov 1800 in Pelham, Mass?

Was Sarah's maiden name Harvey?

Was this family related in some way to Joseph Washburn, born Mass, gentleman
of leisure, who lived in Baldwin Co., GA?

Very few Washburn families lived in GA that early. Only Joseph showed up on
the 1790 census. Other Washburns who showed up on censuses in GA were from the
Carolinas.

Yvonne Self

This thread: