WATKINS-L Archives

Archiver > WATKINS > 2000-05 > 0959089224

From: "Brian Walls" <>
Subject: [WATKINS-L] Absalom Watkins, Mary Craddock, Archer Craddock
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:40:24 -0400

Cousins,

My ancestor Absalom Craddock Watkins was born in Kentucky c1800. Some
researchers have surmised that "AC" is a son of William Watkins of Franklin
County, KY and a grandson of the Absalom Watkins who was there circa 1800.

However, this line does not explain the use of "Craddock" as a middle name.

In 1816, in Barren County, KY. Mary Watkins (presumably a widow) and Archer
Craddock appear on a deed. Archer Craddock supposedly had a sister Mary.
Somewhere I picked up an unattributed note that said "Samuel Watlins married
Mary Cradduck and died before 1810. She died after 1810." This seems to
fit, and more coincidentally, Samuel Watkins was a brother to the senior
Absalom Watkins, hence it is quite possible that Samuel named a son after
his brother Absalom.

Any help proving or disproving this relationship would be greatly
appreciated. I don't think that my Absalom Craddock Watkins could have that
name without a connection to the Craddock family.

Brian Walls
Columbia, Maryland

This thread: