WATSON-L Archives

Archiver > WATSON > 2006-09 > 1159056637

From: "Fredreica Speyer" <>
Subject: [WATSON] Jude, Nathan, Samuel, Alexander,William & James Watson of Ireland,New York & Canada Late 1700's & early 1800's
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:10:37 -0500

Is anyone else researching the family of Nathan Watson? I believe he may be
the brother of my William Henry Watson. And, that they may be the sons of
Jude Watson. Supposedly there were 6 or 7 children (possibly 4 sons and 3
daughters), but since I don't know their names, yet, I'm not going to
speculate at this time. I would like to note that in 1790, Jud (Jude), a
Nathan and a Samuel were counted one after another on the census page. Since
Nathan, the son of Jude (Jr.) and Mary Jenks or Jinks was supposedly born in
1802, the one in 1790 may be a brother!?! Anyway, I'd love to hear from
anyone else who is researching these families. Thanks! Fredreica

1790 NEW YORK MONTGOMERY HERKIMER
Series: M637 Roll: 6 Page: 64
Surname Given
WATSON JUD

1790 NEW YORK MONTGOMERY HERKIMER
Series: M637 Roll: 6 Page: 64
Surname Given Name
WATSON NATHAN

1790 NEW YORK MONTGOMERY HERKIMER
Series: M637 Roll: 6 Page: 64
Surname Given
WATSON SAMUEL

1800 NEW YORK HERKIMER NORWAY
Series: M32 Roll: 21 Page: 566
Surname Given Name
WATSON JUDE

1800 NEW YORK HERKIMER NORWAY
Series: M32 Roll: 21 Page: 565
Surname Given Name
WATSON NATHAN

1810 NEW YORK MONTGOMERY MINDEN
Series: M252 Roll: 29 Page: 51
Surname Given Name Age
WATSON JUDE

1820 NEW YORK HERKIMER DANUBE
Series: M33 Roll: 67 Page: 109
Surname Given Name
WATSON JUDE

1820 NEW YORK HERKIMER DANUBE
Series: M33 Roll: 67 Page: 104
Surname Given Name
WATSON WILLIAM

COMMEMRATIVE
HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD
OF
WOOD COUNTY,
OHIO;
ITS PAST AND PRESENT,
EARLY SETTLEMENT AND DEVELOPMENT; ABORIGINAL HISTORY; PIONEER HISTORY;
POLITICAL ORGANIZATION; AGRICULTURAL, MANUFACTURING, COMMERCIAL INTERESTS,
INCLUDING OIL AND GAS; HISTORY OF THE COUNTY, TOWNSHIPS, TOWNS AND VILLAGES;
'RELIGIOUS, EDUCATIONAL, SOCIAL, POLITICAL AND MILITARY HISTORY, INCLUDING
ROSTER BY TOWNSHIPS; STATISTICAL AND MISCELLANEOUS MATTER; BIOGRAPHIES AND
FOR TRAITS OF EARLY SETTLERS AND REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS, ETC.
.ILLUSTRATED,
CHICAGO:
J. H. BEERS & CO.,
1897.

WOOD COUNTY, OHIO. - from pages 756 & 757

JOHN H. WATSON, a well-known resident of Bowling Green, was born in Danube,
Herkimer Co., N. Y., April 17, 1834.

His grandfather, Jude Watson, a native of New York, had a family of seven
children, among whom were James, who lived in Canada; William, a Lutheran,
minister of Cobleskill, N. Y.; and Nathan, our subject's father, who was a
tanner and shoemaker in Herkimer county, where he died in 1889, at the age
of eighty-seven. He was a member of the Methodist Church, and in politics
was first a Whig and later a Republican. He was married three times, the
first time to Miss Anna Owens, a lady of Welsh descent, whose ancestors had
been early settlers in New York State. Her mother was a Van Wagonen, a
member of another old family in that State. Five children were born of this
first marriage, of whom our subject was the youngest. The others were
Catherine, who married Dr. Asa Christy, and second, George Ward; Mary, who
died at the age of eighteen; William, who died at the age of forty-five; and
Sarah, who married Henry Andrews, and died at the age of thirty-five. For,
his second wife he married Miss Sally Deyo, and four children were born to
this union: Joseph, who served in an artillery corps during the war; Hannah;
Elbert, who enlisted in the 77th (Bemis Heights) N. Y. V. I., and died at
Fortress Monroe, after the battle of the Chickahominy; and Stephen, who died
at home aged about twenty. His third wife was a widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Smith,
and of this union was born one son, Davis S., a prominent inventor living at
Canastota, New York,

John Herkimer Watson, our subject (whose mother died when he was an infant),
was adopted by his maternal uncle, Abram Owens, and lived with him until the
age of seventeen, attending school at -Indian Castle." He learned the
carpenter's trade at Cherry Valley, N. Y., and later went to Bath, S. C.,
and engaged in business as a millwright. Two years later the war broke out,
but not being in sympathy with the South he returned north to Norwich,
Connecticut.

In 1859 he was married to Miss Kate VanDyke, who was born in Cherry Valley,
N. Y., May 22, 1840. They lived for a short time in Norwich, then moved to
Fort Plain, N. Y., and later to Onondaga county, N. Y., where they remained
until 1876, when they came to Bowling Green, where the uncle of Mr. Watson,
Abram Owens (before mentioned), then resided. Since that time they have
identified themselves with all the interests of this progressive community.
Mr. Watson has been employed in building some of the best structures of the
town, and has also followed the occupation of millwright. Previous to the
war he was a Whig, but since that time he has been a Republican, although he
is a nonpartisan in local affairs, and believes in voting for the best man.
He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity for twenty-nine years, and
now belongs to Wood county Lodge No. 112, F. & A. M., Crystal Chapter No.
157, R. A. M., Toledo Council No. 33, R. & S. M., and Toledo Commandery No.
7, Knights Templar.

D.S. WATSON
Newport NY Ties
Herkimer County, N.Y. & Fulton County, N.Y.
Contributed Lisa Slaski
Transcribed by Joanne Murray

Watson, D. S., Stratford, was born on the 6th of July, 1855, in Stratford.
He is a son of Nathan Watson, a native of Newport, Herkimer county. His
grandfather, Jude Watson, was a native of Connecticut, and his
great-grandfather, Jude Watson, was a native of Ireland and came to
Massachusetts about 150 years ago. Jude Watson, jr., was born in 1758 and in
the year 1781 married Mary Jinks, daughter of Captain Samuel Jinks, of
Revolutionary fame, by whom he had four sons and two daughters. In 1800 Mr.
(Jude) Watson came to Newport and 1831 went to Oppenheim, where he remained
until his death, which occurred on the 19th of August, 1846, and his wife on
the 9th of August, 1803. He was a Baptist. Nathan Watson was born on the
17th day of February, 1802, in Newport and in youth learned the tanner,
currier and shoemaker's trades. On the 14th of August, 1853, Mr. (Nathan)
Watson married Mrs. Mary A. Smith, his third wife, whose maiden name was
Freeman, by whom he had a son, D.S., born on the 22nd of February, 1815. In
1854 Nathan Watson came to Stratford and was class leader in the M. E.
Church for a number of years. He was a Democrat, Whig and Republican and
finally a Prohibitionist. He died on the 11th of December, 1889, and his
wife on the 24th of October, 1878. D. S. Watson received a common school
education and at the age of seventeen years began running wood working
machinery. On the 19th of December, 1877, he married Eva L. Kibbe, a
daughter of Elisha D. and Hulda (Jennings) Kibbe, who was born on the 28th
of September, 1856. They have the following children: Blanche E., Mary E.,
Grace E., Nellie E., and Fred A. Mr. Watson is a wagon-maker by trade, but
being a man of genius, has invented a pressure jack and glue table and a
pendant clothes dryer. In 1881 he received a patent for a dumping box which
can be applied to a farm or lumber wagon and is used for excavating and
grading purposes. In 1888 he received a patent on a dumping wagon and is at
present preparing to manufacture them on a large scale. D.S. Watson was
elected justice of the peace and in 1890, and he is a deacon in the Baptist
Church. He has been a Good Templar since he was fifteen years old and is a
member of the Equitable Aid Union No. 732, of Stratford, NY.

Source: History of Fulton County, by Washington Frothingham. Syracuse, NY.:
D. Mason & Co., Printers and Publishers. 1892. Pg. 151.