WEBB-L Archives

Archiver > WEBB > 2000-01 > 0948320045

From: <>
Subject: [WEBB-L] Early Webb's
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:14:05 -0500

Hello list,

I received this tree from another researcher. I have no idea if it is right
or wrong. I am hoping someone will enlighten me.

Jay
1. JOHN1 WEBB I was born 1631. He married JANE.

Children of JOHN WEBB and JANE are:
2.i.MERRY2 WEBB, b. 1659, Saint James Parish, Virginia.
3.ii.JOHN WEBB II, b. 1664, New Kent, Virginia; d. July 06, 1726, Will in
Henrico, Virginia.

Generation No. 2

2. MERRY2 WEBB (JOHN1) was born 1659 in Saint James Parish, Virginia. He
married ANNA MARTIN, daughter of VALENTINE MARTIN.

Notes for MERRY WEBB:
162. Merry Webb Sr. born Circa 1700, married Circa 1720, Elizabeth Unknown.
Merry died 02----1779, Henry County, Virginia, buried: 02----1779, Henry County,
Virginia. Family Record By Calvin Alexander Burns August 6, 1894 Pages 3 & 4.
Henry & Lexer Grant Burns By Cranford H. Burns 1974/1988 Pages 5-11,17-19,
21 & 22. Henry County VA Will Abstracts Vol. 1 Page 17. "Jett Trails West"
Chapter 8 Pages 93-98. Larry Jordan Montgomery:Paternal-Maternal 5th Great
Grand Father. Wealthy land owner in Colonial Virginia. 1st Reference in
Virginia 06-12-1729.
163. Elizabeth Unknown born Circa 1705, died After 1789, buried: After 1789.
Family Record By Calvin Alexander Burns August 6, 1894. Henry & Lexer Grant
Burns By Cranford H. Burns 1974/1988. Her maiden name is unknown and
Compiler will eventually get around to researching her. If they married in
Virginia then it should be easier to find out what her maiden name was; who
her parents were. Larry Jordan Montgomery:Paternal- Maternal 5th Great Grand
Mother=Great Great Great Great Great Grandmother. See 2nd source daughter
Millian Webb Hall says her last name was Martin. Copied from Larry Jordan
Montgomery's Ancestors http://users.quicklink.net/~plcm/larrya.html
Merry Webb of St. James Parish made a Deed to Joseph Price June 18, 1734
with wife Anne relinquishing dower rights. From the land deeds found in
Goochland/Pittsylvania to Henry County, VA. ...the only one it could be
would be Merry Webb b. 1659 md. Anna Martin, daughter of Valentine Martin.

Children of MERRY WEBB and ANNA MARTIN are:
4.i.MERRY3 WEBB II, b. 1697, Linenburg County, Virginia; d. Bef. August
09, 1779, Henry County, Virginia.
ii.THOMAS WEBB, b. 1698, Goochland County, Virginia.
iii.WILLIAM WEBB, b. 1700.
iv.JAMES WEBB.
v.MARTIN WEBB.
vi.JUDITH WEBB.

3. JOHN2 WEBB II (JOHN1) was born 1664 in New Kent, Virginia, and died July
06, 1726 in Will in Henrico, Virginia. He married SARAH COCKE OR SMITH 1680.

Children of JOHN WEBB and SARAH SMITH are:
i.ELIZABETH3 WEBB, b. April 08, 1688, Baptized this date, Goochland, Virginia.
ii.JAMES WEBB, b. June 25, 1690.

Notes for JAMES WEBB:
Baptised 10/19/1690

5.iii.JOHN WEBB III, b. 1693, Henrico/New Kent Virginia; d. 1736,
Edgwood, Virginia.
6.iv.WILLIAM WEBB, b. 1694.
v.JANE WEBB, b. Bet. 1694 - 1700, Baptized 3 May 1700; d. 1700.
vi.HENRY WEBB, b. Abt. 1695; d. 1728; m. AGNES.
7.vii.WENTWORTH WEBB, b. May 05, 1702, Albemarle County, Virginia; d.
1747, Amhurst County, Virginia.
viii.MARY WEBB, b. 1703, Baptized March 19, 1703, Saint Peters, Parish.

Generation No. 3

4. MERRY3 WEBB II (MERRY2, JOHN1) was born 1697 in Linenburg County,
Virginia, and died Bef. August 09, 1779 in Henry County, Virginia. He
married ELIZABETH ANN MARTIN. She was born August 09, 1708 in New Kent,
Virginia, and died Bef. March 08, 1805 in Henry County, Virginia.

Notes for MERRY WEBB II:
Halifax County was created in 1752 from Lunenburg County. Pittsylvania
County was created from Halifax County in 1767. Henry County was created
from Pittsylvania County in 1776. Merry Webb II lived in three different
counties but never moved his residence. He was a resident of the area near
Wart Mountain when the inhavitants of the area petitioned for a road from
Hickey's Road near the plantation of Merry Webb. The Parish of Antrim was
created at the same time and included the same bounds.

Merry's will, dated 6 February 1774, mentions his wife Elizabeth and most of
his children. The Children include; James, Merry III, Martin, John, Mary,
Elizabeth, Lucy, and Millian. Martha is not mentioned in the will. Several
negro slaves are willed to his children. It also mentions land's that are to
be sold, including a mill. Henry County, Virginia will book I., 1779-1799.
Inventory 9 August 1779. Elizabeth Webb, widow, and sons Merry and John were
named executors of the will of Merry Webb. The lands of Merry Webb II. were
sold 3 September 1781 by Elizabeth Webb and Merry Webb. There was no
mention of John Webb, who was included as executor, which indicates to me
that John Webb was no longer in the area.

Children of MERRY WEBB and ELIZABETH MARTIN are:
i.MILLIAN4 WEBB, b. August 30, 1723, Henry County, Virginia; d. 1803,
Wilkes County, North Carolina; m. SAMUEL HALL, Bet. 1753 - 1755; b. August
30, 1723; d. 1792, Wilkes County, North Carolina..
ii.MARTIN WEBB, b. Abt. 1725; d. Bef. 1778.
iii.LUCY WEBB, b. Abt. 1727.
iv.MARY WEBB, b. Abt. 1729.
v.ELIZABETH WEBB, b. Abt. 1731; m. EDMOND SAMS.
vi.JAMES WEBB, b. Abt. 1733.
vii.JOHN WEBB, b. Abt. 1735, Virginia; d. Aft. May 20, 1794, Washington
County, North Carolina (now Tennessee).

Notes for JOHN WEBB:
No record of marriage has ever been found for this John Webb. John Webb is
mentioned in Washington County, North Carolina records in November 1779
when a Cavit suit was brought against William Cobb. In November 1782 John
Webb was named to a group to review the road from Colonel Dillard's to James
Stuart's. On 5 February 1783, John Webb was on a committee to mark off a
road from Colonel Dillard's to Colonel Robertson's. Also on this committee
was Edmond Sams and Samuel Culbertson. Johm Webb is a witness to the will of
Thomas Dillard on 13 may 1784 in Washington County (later Tennessee).
Recorded will book 1, page 15. John Webb sold 274 acres in Greasy Cove
(Washington County, North Carolina) to Danile McCray on 20 May 1794.

viii.MERRY WEBB III, b. Abt. 1737.
ix.MARTHA WEBB, b. Abt. 1739.

5. JOHN3 WEBB III (JOHN2, JOHN1) was born 1693 in Henrico/New Kent
Virginia, and died 1736 in Edgwood, Virginia. He married MARY MARTIN
February 12, 1712 in Saint Peters Parish, Virginia.

Children of JOHN WEBB and MARY MARTIN are:
8.i.THEODORIC4 WEBB, b. February 12, 1712; d. 1794, Franklin County, Virginia.
9.ii.JOHN WEBB IV, b. 1714, Amherst/Albermarle, Virginia; d. April 27,
1796, Will in Henrico, Virginia.

6. WILLIAM3 WEBB (JOHN2, JOHN1) was born 1694. He married JANE MARTIN in
Saint Peters Parish, Virginia.

Notes for WILLIAM WEBB:
Baptized 9/7/1694

Children of WILLIAM WEBB and JANE MARTIN are:
10.i.SAMUEL4 WEBB, b. February 06, 1735, Saint Peters Parish, Virginia.
ii.MARTIN WEBB, b. December 29, 1737, Saint Peters Parish, Virginia; d.
Goochland/Fluvannia, Virginia.

Notes for MARTIN WEBB:
This Martin had a son also named Martin who fought in the civil war

11.iii.WILLIAM WEBB, b. Abt. 1741.
12.iv.REV. JOHN WEBB, b. Bet. 1742 - 1745; d. Bet. 1800 - 1803, Rutherford
County, North Carolina.
v.MARY WEBB, b. Abt. 1743; d. Buckingham, Virginia.
13.vi.MERRY WEBB, b. Abt. 1745, Goochland/Buckingham.

7. WENTWORTH3 WEBB (JOHN2, JOHN1) was born May 05, 1702 in Albemarle
County, Virginia, and died 1747 in Amhurst County, Virginia. He married
MARY BURTON.

Child of WENTWORTH WEBB and MARY BURTON is:
14.i.HENRY4 WEBB, b. Abt. 1722, Albemarle County, Virginia; d. January 10,
1765, Date of will, Orange County, North Carolina.

Generation No. 4

8. THEODORIC4 WEBB (JOHN3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born February 12, 1712, and
died 1794 in Franklin County, Virginia. He married MARY BURTON.

Child of THEODORIC WEBB and MARY BURTON is:
15.i.THEODORIC5 WEBB, b. 1769, Buckingham County, Virginia; d. April 10,
1851, Choptack, Hawkins County, Tennessee.

9. JOHN4 WEBB IV (JOHN3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born 1714 in Amherst/Albermarle,
Virginia, and died April 27, 1796 in Will in Henrico, Virginia. He married
MARTHA CARTER, daughter of THEODORIC CARTER and ELIZABETH.

Children of JOHN WEBB and MARTHA CARTER are:
i.CUTHBERT5 WEBB.
ii.THEODORIC WEBB.
iii.GILES WEBB.

10. SAMUEL4 WEBB (WILLIAM3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born February 06, 1735 in
Saint Peters Parish, Virginia. He married REBECCA MARTIN.

Notes for SAMUEL WEBB:
Samuel went from New Kent/Henrico to Bedford, Franklin County, Virginia to
Sumner County, Tennessee
Bedford Co.,VA. 1782
Franklin Co.,VA. 1810
1787 Tax list.
Samuel 00010
James 00016
Jacob..100030
Theodrick 015221045
Sumner Co., TN. 1797
Webb Lands in Sumner, TN
On border of Robertson &
KY Line.(close to Franklin KY)
Western end of Sumner at Whitehouse

Children of SAMUEL WEBB and REBECCA MARTIN are:
i.ELIZABETH5 WEBB, b. 1770; m. WILLIAM STARKLEY.
ii.SARAH WEBB, b. 1782; m. SEBASTIAN ULLMAN.
iii.JUDITH WEBB, b. 1788; m. HENRY WOODY.
iv.WILLIAM WEBB, b. January 19, 1775; m. NANCY CLOWER.
v.MARY WEBB.
vi.JOSEPH WEBB, m. BARBARA THOMPSON.
vii.SAMUEL WEBB, JR., b. Abt. 1800.

11. WILLIAM4 WEBB (WILLIAM3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1741. He married
RACHEL SMITH.

Children of WILLIAM WEBB and RACHEL SMITH are:
i.SMITH5 WEBB, SR..

Notes for SMITH WEBB, SR.:
Smith Webb, Sr. and bro.
William Webb Jr
Descendants moved to
Sumner & Robertson Co.,TN

ii.WILLIAM WEBB, JR..
iii.THEODORIC WEBB.

12. REV. JOHN4 WEBB (WILLIAM3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Bet. 1742 - 1745, and
died Bet. 1800 - 1803 in Rutherford County, North Carolina. He married
SARAH BYARS, daughter of JOHN HENRY BYERS. She was born 1742 in Granvcille
County, North Carolina.

Notes for REV. JOHN WEBB:
There is much controversy Over this family, many good Researchers have gone
to Their graves not knowing .
Children that we once believed were of Rev. John could be of his brother Merry

Children of JOHN WEBB and SARAH BYARS are:
i.JOHN BYARS5 WEBB, b. Bet. 1762 - 1763, Orange County, North Carolina; m.
MARY WEBB.
ii.JESSE WEBB, SR., b. Bet. 1760 - 1764, North Carolina; d. June 10, 1835;
m. DIDAMA TOWNSEND.
iii.JOEL WEBB, b. 1795.
iv.JOSHUA WEBB, b. 1770.
v.CHESLEY WEBB, b. 1772; m. HENRIETTA BLACKWELL.
vi.REBECCA WEBB, b. 1774.
vii.JULIUS WEBB, b. 1776; m. POLLY.
viii.FEMALE WEBB.
ix.FEMALE WEBB.
x.JAMES WEBB, b. 1782; m. NANCY.

13. MERRY4 WEBB (WILLIAM3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1745 in
Goochland/Buckingham. He married ELIZABETH.

Notes for MERRY WEBB:
Will of Merry Webb 1816
In Marion Co.,TN. Merry
Webb buried Cole City in
StateLine Cem. (TN/GA

HenryWebb & Mary Pyburn
Land at Battle Creek @
Sweetons Cove, Marion Co.
TN. in 1822. Thomas, David,
Land at Waldens Ridge 1834.
MERRY, Sr. &Jr., John &
William (?), land in White &
Warren Co., TN. 1806-1811-
1823
Do not have birth dates or who sons married this date

Children of MERRY WEBB and ELIZABETH are:
i.DAVID5 WEBB.
ii.MARY PYBURN WEBB.
iii.HENRY WEBB.
iv.JOHN WEBB.
v.WILLIAM WEBB.
vi.ELIZABETH WEBB.
vii.THOMAS WEBB.
viii.MARTHA WEBB.
ix.WINNY SOPHIA WEBB.
x.MERRY WEBB WEBB, JR.

14. HENRY4 WEBB (WENTWORTH3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1722 in Albemarle
County, Virginia, and died January 10, 1765 in Date of will, Orange County,
North Carolina. He married ELIZABETH.

Children of HENRY WEBB and ELIZABETH are:
16.i.WENTWORTH5 WEBB.
ii.JOHN WEBB, b. Bet. 1740 - 1750, Albemarle County, Virginia.

Generation No. 5

15. THEODORIC5 WEBB (THEODORIC4, JOHN3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born 1769 in
Buckingham County, Virginia, and died April 10, 1851 in Choptack, Hawkins
County, Tennessee. He married CATHERINE MATTOX 1808. She was born 1788,
and died February 19, 1870 in Choptack, Hawkins County, Tennessee.

Notes for THEODORIC WEBB:
Dated December 28, 1850 Hawkins Co. Will Book 1, 1797-1886

Record of Wills, Vol. 1
Proven May Term-1851 U. T. Library, Page 469

Will of Theodoric Webb
State of Tennessee, Hawkins Co.

I, Theodoric Webb, do make public this my last will and testament,
thereby revoking and making void all other wills made by me at any time.
First, I direct that my funeral expenses be paid as soon after my
death as possible, out of moneys that I may die possessed of or may come
into the hands of executors.
Secondly, I give and bequeath to my three children that is under
age, (to wit) Theadore, Henry, and Catherine as much property as will make
them equal with those that are of age.
Thirdly, I give and bequeath to my wife, Catherine, all the rest of
my property real and personal during her lifetime or widowhood, (to wit) my
plantation and plantation utensils and all my stock of every kind, household
and kitchen furniture etc.
Fourthly, I give and bequeath at the death or marriage of my wife,
Catherine all the property that remains, both real and personal to my
children (to wit) John Webb, Elijah Webb, Patsy Price, Susannah Price,
Lucinda Shanks, Samuel Webb, Gabrel Webb, David Webb, and the above minors
(to wit) Theadore, Henry, and Catherine, their heirs or assigns forever to
be divided equally among them.
Fifthly, I give and bequeath to my daughter, Polly, one dollar, no
more.
Lastly, I do appoint John Webb and Elijah Webb my executors.

In witness thereof I do this my will, set my hand and seal this 28th
day of December, 1850.

Theodoric Webb
(SEAL)

Signed, Sealed and delivered in the presence of

R. D. Young
Willie R. Kenner

Webb and Whitehead/Whitted
http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/w/e/b/Jay-S-Web