WEBB-L Archives

Archiver > WEBB > 2001-02 > 0983405186

From: "Jay S Webb" <>
Subject: Re: [WEBB] obit - Lena WEBB - Lenoir, NC
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:06:26 -0500

Can you tell me more abt Broadus H. Webb.

Ancestors of Lena Sutton
Generation No. 1

1. Lena Sutton, born May 02, 1911; died February 24, 2001. She was the
daughter of 2. Jefferson "Jeff" Sutton and 3. Nancy Smith. She married (1)
Broadus H. Webb.

Generation No. 2

2. Jefferson "Jeff" Sutton, born February 1881. He was the son of 4.
James Sutton and 5. Caroline Leatherwood. He married 3. Nancy Smith August
31, 1902 in Haywood Co, NC.
3. Nancy Smith, born 1882 in North Carolina; died 1974.

Children of Jefferson Sutton and Nancy Smith are:
i. Senia Sutton, born Abt. 1905.

Notes for Senia Sutton:
Her name also appears as CENA.

ii. Ella Sutton, born 1906 in North Carolina; died September 1990; married
Troutman.
iii. Viola Sutton, born 1908 in North Carolina.
1 iv. Lena Sutton, born May 02, 1911; died February 24, 2001; married
Broadus H. Webb.
v. Ralph Sutton
vi. Hillard Sutton
vii. Iva Sutton
viii. Lillie Sutton

Generation No. 3

4. James Sutton, born August 10, 1851 in North Carolina; died July 21,
1923 in Sevier County, Tennessee. He was the son of 8. Jonas Richard "Dick"
Sutton and 9. Nancy Grooms. He married 5. Caroline Leatherwood August 22,
1867 in Haywood County, North Carolina.
5. Caroline Leatherwood, born December 25, 1843 in North Carolina; died
March 07, 1904. She was the daughter of 10. Samuel Leatherwood and 11.
Tirza Haynes.

Notes for James Sutton:
Caroline's name also appears as CAROLYN and CHARLENE (in the census
records). She had two daughters from a previous marriage, Texas and
Theodocia. Their last name appears as JONES in the 1870 Cocke County
census. Dates given from Martha are from Atchley Funeral Home records, her
headstone dates are 28 May 1881-26 Jun 1959!
Buried Evans Chapel Cemetery, Sevier County, Tennessee

Notes for Caroline Leatherwood:
Her name also appears as CAROLINA. James had a later marriage to Martha F.
Williams.
Buried Mt. Sterling Cemetery, Haywood County, North Carolina

Children of James Sutton and Caroline Leatherwood are:
i. Randolph Sutton, born May 12, 1871 in North Carolina; died May 11,
1941; married Deborah "Debbie" Proffitt November 15, 1891 in Cocke County,
Tennessee; born December 23, 1875; died May 02, 1950.
ii. Terza "Tursie" Sutton, born September 16, 1873; died September 15,
1951; married George W. Allen August 15, 1891 in Cocke County, Tennessee;
born March 28, 1873; died April 21, 1933.
iii. Allen T. Sutton, born June 30, 1875; died November 12, 1933; married
Lakie Elzora McMahan December 05, 1907 in Sevier County, Tennessee; born
February 17, 1892; died August 21, 1932.

Notes for Allen T. Sutton:
She was buried in Sanders McMahan Cem, Sevier Co, TN

Notes for Lakie Elzora McMahan:
She was buried in Sanders McMahan Cem, Sevier Co, TN

iv. Reuben W. Sutton, born February 26, 1876 in North Carolina; died
January 02, 1919; married Louise Smith September 15, 1901 in Cocke County,
Tennessee; born 1882 in North Carolina.

Notes for Reuben W. Sutton:
He was buried in Mt. Sterling Cem, Haywood Co, NC

Notes for Louise Smith:
Her name also appears as LURA

2 v. Jefferson "Jeff" Sutton, born February 1881; married Nancy Smith
August 31, 1902 in Haywood Co, NC.
vi. Jacob Isaac "Jake" Sutton, born May 12, 1886; died February 11, 1952;
married (1) Minnie Owens; married (2) Mary Adeline Sutton; born March 26,
1889 in Haywood Co, NC; died November 05, 1948.

Generation No. 4

8. Jonas Richard "Dick" Sutton, born 1824 in North Carolina. He was the
son of 16. Cornelius Sutton and 17. Mary Jenkins. He married 9. Nancy
Grooms.
9. Nancy Grooms, born 1825 in North Carolina.

Children of Jonas Sutton and Nancy Grooms are:
i. Emaline "Emily" Sutton, born Abt. 1844 in Haywood County, North
Carolina; married Osborne Ball January 07, 1861 in Haywood County, North
Carolina.
ii. Mary Elizabeth "Polly" Sutton, born 1846; married Samuel Packston
Owens February 20, 1881 in Cocke County, Tennessee; died in Haywood County,
North Carolina.
4 iii. James Sutton, born August 10, 1851 in North Carolina; died July 21,
1923 in Sevier County, Tennessee; married (1) Caroline Leatherwood August
22, 1867 in Haywood County, North Carolina; married (2) Martha Florence
'Flora' Williams July 21, 1908 in Sevier County, Tennessee.
iv. Annie Sutton, born Abt. 1860; died in Haywood County, North Carolina;
married Samuel Packston Owens Abt. 1876 in Haywood County, North Carolina;
died in Haywood County, North Carolina.
v. John "Little John" Sutton, born Abt. 1861; died February 23, 1942;
married Sarah Matilda Shelton March 01, 1879 in Haywood County, North
Carolina; born Abt. 1862.

10. Samuel Leatherwood, born May 14, 1811. He married 11. Tirza Haynes
January 19, 1839 in Haywood County, North Carolina.
11. Tirza Haynes, born January 01, 1822; died January 22, 1893.

Children of Samuel Leatherwood and Tirza Haynes are:
5 i. Caroline Leatherwood, born December 25, 1843 in North Carolina; died
March 07, 1904; married James Sutton August 22, 1867 in Haywood County,
North Carolina.
ii. Edward A. Leatherwood, born March 14, 1847; died August 10, 1924 in
Haywood County, North Carolina; married (1) Eliza Caldwell 1867; born
January 16, 1841; died February 04, 1908 in Haywood County, North Carolina;
married (2) Rachel Smith Aft. 1908 in Cocke County, Tennessee; born February
01, 1860 in Cocke County, Tennessee; died March 25, 1930 in Gastonia, Gaston
County, North Carolina.

Generation No. 5

16. Cornelius Sutton, born February 10, 1801 in Cocke County, Tennessee.
He was the son of 32. Joseph Sutton and 33. Elizabeth Fox. He married 17.
Mary Jenkins.
17. Mary Jenkins, born Abt. 1801 in Cocke County, Tennessee. She was the
daughter of 34. Jonas Jenkins and 35. Mary Brickey.

Notes for Cornelius Sutton:
Cornelius was listed in the 1830 Cocke Co, TN census with his wife, two
sons, two daughters, and a 100 year old man. It's possible this man was the
John Sutton from Savannah Branch, Jackson Co, NC. If so, was that John the
father, or grand-father Cornelius? Cornelius apparently returned to Haywood
County within a few years as he was in Haywood Co census records from 1850
until his death.

Children of Cornelius Sutton and Mary Jenkins are:
i. John Corneilious "Grey John" Sutton, born 1820 in Upper Cosby, Cocke
County, Tennessee; married Elizabeth Phillips in Cocke County, Tennessee;
born 1818 in Upper Cosby, Cocke County, Tennessee.
8 ii. Jonas Richard "Dick" Sutton, born 1824 in North Carolina; married
Nancy Grooms.
iii. Rachel Sutton, born Abt. 1828 in Cocke County, Tennessee; married
Phillip Jenkins, Jr.; born 1817 in Cocke County, Tennessee.
iv. Sarah "Sally" Sutton, born May 11, 1829 in Cosby, Cocke County,
Tennessee; died August 10, 1909 in Cocke County, Tennessee; married Jonas
Tobias Phillips Abt. 1844 in Cocke County, Tennessee; born January 18, 1824
in Hawkins County, Tennessee; died May 22, 1899 in Tobes Creek, Cocke
County, Tennessee.
v. James Mitchel Sutton, born Abt. 1833; married Mary Elizabeth Ramsey
Abt. 1848; born Abt. 1832.
vi. Mary Ann "Polly" Sutton, born Abt. 1834.

Notes for Mary Ann "Polly" Sutton:
Never married. In the 1860 North Carolina census she was in the
household of her brother, Jonas, on Jonathans Creek in Haywood County, with
her children, Anderson and Sarah. In the 1870 census she was back in the
household of her father, Cornelious, along with her two children.

Generation No. 6

32. Joseph Sutton, born 1782 in Virginia; died Aft. 1860 in Cocke County,
Tennessee. He married 33. Elizabeth Fox Abt. 1799.
33. Elizabeth Fox, born 1783 in North Carolina; died Aft. 1860 in Cocke
County, Tennessee.

Notes for Joseph Sutton:
There were PROBABLY more children but their connection hasn't been proven.
SARAH Sutton, born ca 1804, who married James Benjamin Weeks, born ca 1800,
is likely. So is JANE Sutton, born ca 1825, who wed Isaac Benson. Possible
siblings of Joseph include John who married Elizabeth Huff, Nancy who
married Peter Brickey, Mary "Polly" who wed Thomas Millsaps, Rachel who
married Joseph Maddox, and William Sutton who married a Clarissa (?).

Most all of these families listed above left Cocke County, some, especially
John and Elizabeth (Huff) Sutton went to Missouri. The census records
indicate Missouri as the place of birth for Joseph's daughter, Margaret, so
Joseph apparently moved to Missouri with them (at or near the same time) but
then returned within a few years.

"Old John" Sutton who died in 1832, age 100+, in Jackson Co, NC almost
certainly had a connection with the Cocke County Suttons. He could have
been Joseph's father, or grandfather.

The John Sutton, Revolutionary War veteran , who died in Knox Co, TN in
1843, probably/possibly had a connection to our Joseph and the Cocke Co
Suttons. John first enlisted in Georgetown Disctrict, South Carolina where
he was living in 1775. He
later lived in Richmond Co, North Carolina and served with North Carolina
troops under Colonel Lewis. He was involved in the Siege of Savannah and
the Battle of Eutaw Springs. He moved to Tennessee about 1795, was in Rhea
Co, TN in the 1830's (he
applied for his Revoultionary War pension while living in Rhea Co in 1833)
and in Roane County in the 1840's. He married Elizabeth Hodges. He was
murdered just outside Knoxville on 5 Sep 1843. His widow, Elizabeth,
applied for his pension in 18
in Meigs Co, TN and stated in the application that John had been "killed for
his pension".

Children of Joseph Sutton and Elizabeth Fox are:
i. John "Grey John" Sutton, born 1800 in Cocke County, Tennessee; married
Alitha "Alpha" Jenkins Abt. 1822 in Cocke County, Tennessee; born Abt. 1802
in Cocke County, Tennessee.

Notes for John "Grey John" Sutton:
The minutes of the Big Pigeon Baptist Church in Cocke Co, TN show ALITHA
JENKINS as being received into membership by experience in 1821. This
church was on the present Edwina Road, the area was previously called
'Sweetwater' and also 'Taylorsburg
Records of Bethel Church of Jones Cove, Sevier Co, TN show ALTHA SUTTON
applied for and was granted membership by letter on second Saturday in
November, 1824.

"Haywood County NC Families" by Alice Cook has Alitha as the daughter of
Tennessee Tuliver Jenkins. If this Tennessee Tuliver Jenkins is supposed to
be the SAME PERSON as Jonas 'Toliver' Jenkins, the father of Mary Jenkins
who married Cornelious, then that's probably NOT CORRECT. There's no
indication that Mary and Alitha Jenkins were sisters. Mary's mother was
Mary Brickey. When the heirs of Mary Brickey were paid out of the estate of
Peter Brickey, her brother, those named were: Nath Jenkins, John Jenkins,
Jonas Jenkins, and Mary (Jenkins) Sutton. If this estate settlement is
considered to have included all the children then Alitha definitely wasn't a
sister of Mary. It has also been suggested (by Tilda Webb, for one) that
Alitha is a daughter of the Philip and Matilda (Sisk) Jenkins, Tilda Webb's
ancestors. Altha was in the same area with them and her birth date fits
perfectly into a large gap in the birthdates of their children!

John does not appear in the 1850 census with Alitha, and it's not known what
happened to him. One account has him deserting his family and running off
with a young woman. That account was possibly a case of someone mistaking
him for his nephew, t
Rev. John Wesley Sutton, of Waldens Creek, Sevier Co, TN, who did desert HIS
family and leave the state with his young niece.

16 ii. Cornelius Sutton, born February 10, 1801 in Cocke County, Tennessee;
married Mary Jenkins.
iii. Alsey Sutton, born March 22, 1805 in Cocke County, Tennessee; died
Aft. 1870 in Sevier County, Tennessee; married John Webb July 06, 1826 in
Jefferson County, Tennessee; born April 25, 1804 in State of Tennessee South
of the French Broad River; died Aft. February 1872 in Sevier County,
Tennessee.

Notes for Alsey Sutton:
They were still in Jefferson County in 1830, in Cocke County for the 1840
census, and probably moved to Sevier County around 1848 as they were
counted there in the 1850 census. Her name appears in MANY variations,
including 'Aisly' in the 1850 census, 'Alsey' in the 1860 census, 'Alay' in
the 1870 census, and 'Alsy' in John's will. His will was prepared and
signed 24 Feb 1872, he died at some unknown date after that and before 1880.
Alzy was still living at the time of the 1880 Sevier census, as she was
counted with her son, William, and his family.

Notes for John Webb:
Lived in Jefferson CO TN in 1830; moved to Cocke Co by 1840 and finally into
Sevier Co Abt 1848 (Sevier Co carved from Jefferson Co.) CENSUS:1850 Sevier
Co- 391-826 "Webb, John 46, Aisly 45, Jesse 23, Lucinda 20, James 18,
William 16, Lorensa [Lorenza] 14, Samuel 12, Matilda 11, George 9, Jackson
6, Sarah 3, TT" CENSUS:1860 Sevier Co. Dist. 4 House 527 (July 21, 1860)
John WEBB 55 farmer, Real estate $1000, Personal prop. $741; Alsey 54,
Lazuza D. (m) 23 farm laborer, Samuel 21, Matilda 19, George 17, Jackson
15, Sarah 12. See Sevier County Heritage book, p. 381

iv. Joseph Sutton, born April 07, 1812 in Cocke County, Tennessee; married
Christina "Ticey" Fox; born 1810.

Notes for Joseph Sutton:
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church of Cocke Co, TN granted Joseph and Ticey a
letter (of dismissal?) on 17 Aug 1838. However, they apparently didn't make
their move to the Walden's Creek area of Sevier County until after 1840 as
they're still in Cocke County for the 1840 census. Joseph must have been
VERY SUCCESSFUL in his endeavors and must have passed his legacy along to
his sons before his death. In the 1860 Sevier census his sons John,
Russell, and George are all living near him in the 6 District. George,
living alone, is listed with real estate valued at $500 and personal
property valued at $125. Russell, also living alone, next door to George,
has real estate valued at $800 and personal property valued at $750. John,
married a with six children, has real estate valued at $3,500 and personal
property valued at $1,000. That was immense wealth for that period!
Joseph and his children were the only Suttons to appear in the Sevier County
census in both 1850 and 1860.

Joseph and Ticey are PROBABLY buried in Waldens Creek Cemetery, since they
gave land for the church and cemetry, but if so have no markers.

v. Russell Sutton, born May 10, 1814 in Cocke County, Tennessee.

Notes for Russell Sutton:
Russell disappears and is never found again in Cocke County! In the Macon
Co, NC marriage records a 'Russell Sutton' married a 'Reachel Messor'.
That Russell is listed in the 1850 Macon County census as age 34, born in
Tennessee, and he named his first son Joseph! Based on these facts we're
concluding the Russell in Macon Co is the son of Joseph and Elizabeth, but
it's NOT 100% certain. If this Russell IS in fact the son of our Joseph
and Elizabeth and went 'back' to western North Carolina to re-join Sutton
kin there it makes a strong argument for our Joseph being from those
Sutton's also. Rachel had an earlier marriage to an unknown TURNER.

vi. Margaret Sutton, born July 06, 1817 in Cocke County, Tennessee.

Notes for Margaret Sutton:
Margaret only had one MARRIAGE, to John Raines. Her other children were out
of wedlock. Alfred Carter was thought to be by DAVID Miller, although
that's
not definite.

vii. Charity Sutton, born April 06, 1821 in Cocke County, Tennessee.

Notes for Charity Sutton:
In the 1850 Cocke Co census she was still home with her parents, unmarried.
Did she never marry?? The Russell Sutton, born ca 1840, and counted with
her
parents in the 1850 and 1860 census is THOUGHT to be her out-of-wedlock son.
The Silas Sutton, born about 1857 and counted with Joseph and Elizabeth in
the 1860 Cocke census COULD BE her son also. We think he's the same Silas
who appears in the 1880 Haywood Co, NC census with wife Mary E and daughter,
CHARITA, age 4.

34. Jonas Jenkins, born in Virginia. He married 35. Mary Brickey.
35. Mary Brickey, born in Virginia.

Child of Jonas Jenkins and Mary Brickey is:
17 i. Mary Jenkins, born Abt. 1801 in Cocke County, Tennessee; married
Cornelius Sutton.

Jay S Webb
230 Harris St
Clinton TN 37716-4108