WEBB-L Archives

Archiver > WEBB > 2003-01 > 1042955956

From: "eugene maynard" <>
Subject: Re: [WEBB] Re: John and Mary Boone Webb
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 01:00:35 -0500

Larry,
It's not working for me either today. The last time I was on this site
was 4/10/2001 and it is part of the Boone Society, Inc. Site and lays
out the Boone Family genealogy pretty completely. There are people who are
trying to show a connection evidently to this family constantly. I found
their "new" site, but it does not given any material as it did before. It
does however show quite a few links. This is one that I was able to get
into which seemed quite complete
and accurate: Eugene

Ancestors and Descendants of the Boone Family

Lost Modified: December 5, 2002

All links working at this time.

Much has been written about this famous family, especially the most famous
member, Daniel Boone. Daniel is my first cousin, six generations removed.
Our common ancestor is George Boone III.
Sources of information for this narrative include:

Our Boone Families Daniel Boone's Kinfolks . By Sarah Ridge Rockenfield.
1987. Whipporwill Publications, Evansville, IN.
The Squire, Daniel, and John Boone Families in Davie County, North Carolina
. Compiled by James W. Wall, Flossie Martin, Howell Boone. 1982.
The Frost and Related Families of Bedford County, Tennessee . By Wright
Wilson Frost. 1962.

First Generation:
George Boone lived near Exeter, England. He married Ann Fallace, daughter of
Walter Fallace.

Second Generation:
George Boone II, son of George and Ann Fallace Boone, born ca 1636, lived in
Stoke Canon, England. He died in 1696 and was buried in Stoke Canon,
England. He married Sarah Uppey. George Boone was a blacksmith.

Some of children of George Boone and Sarah Uppey are:

Henry Boone was baptized 1673 in Stoke Canon, England. He remained in
England.
John Boone was baptized 1673 in Stoke Canon, England. He remained in
England.
Percis Boone was born in England, and came to America with her brother
George Boone and his family in Oct., 1717. Percis Boone married George
Henton 1719, George also came to America with Percis Boone and her brother.
George Henton and Percis settled in Berks County, Pennsylvania.
George Boone III

Third Generation:
George Boone III, son of George II and Sarah Uppey Boone, was born at Stoke
Canon, England a village near the City of Exeter, in 1666. He married Mary
Maugridge, who was born in 1669 in Bradninch, eight miles from Exeter. She
was the daughter of John and Mary Milton Maugridge. George was a weaver by
trade. George III and Mary Maugridge Boone were the parents of nine
children. In 1713, George sent his three oldest children to America to find
land. George and Mary and their six remaining children set sail for America
and arrived in Philadelphia on Oct 10, 1717. They settled in Berks County,
Pennsylvania. With the exception of their son John, all of the children of
George and Mary Boone married and had large families. George died at the age
of 78 years in Berks County, Pennsylvania and Mary died on Feb 2, 1740 in
Berks County, Pennsylvania.

Their children are:

George Boone IV (b. 1690, England - d. 1753) m. Deborah Howell (b. 1691 -
d. 1759)
Sarah Boone (b. 1691, England - d. ca. 1744) m. Jacob Stover (Stuber,
Stowber)
Squire Boone (b. 1696, England - d. 1765,NC) m. Sarah Morgan (b. 1700 - d.
1777, NC)
Mary Boone (b. 1699, England - d. 1774) m. John Webb (died 1774) Married in
Philadelphia (now Berks) Co.
John Boone (b. 1701, England - d. 1785, PA) He was a school teacher, first
to keep track of the family line, he did not marry.
Joseph Boone (b. 1704, England - d. 1776, PA) m. Catherine Brown (b.1708 -
d. 1778)
Benjamin Boone (b. 1706, England - d. 1762) m. 1) Ann Farmer and m. 2)
Susanna Likens/Lykins/Lycan (b. 1708 - d. ca. 1784)
James Boone Sr (b. 1709, England - d. 1785, PA) m. 1) Mary Foulke (b. 1714,
PA - d. 1756) m. 2) Anne Griffith (b. 1713)
Samuel Boone (b. ca. 1711, England - d. 1745, PA) m. Elizabeth Cassell
(dau. of Arnold and Susanna Cassel of Philadelphia

Map from cover of The Squire, Daniel, and John Boone Families in Davie
County, North Carolina. Compiled by James W. Wall, Flossie Martin and Howell
Boone. Davie Printing Company, 1982. Used by permission.

Fourth Generation:
John Boone, fifth child of George III and Mary, is a key figure of any story
of the early Boones because of the family records which he preserved and
passed on to his nephew James Boone, who compiled them into the Old Boone
Genealogy from which most of the early records of the Boone family are
obtained. Squire Boone, third child of George III and Mary Boone, was the
father of Daniel Boone the famous frontiersman.

Squire Boone's significance to this genealogy, however, is due to his
influence upon his nephew John Boone in settling in North Carolina. On April
11, 1750, Squire and Sarah Morgan Boone sold their land in Berks County and
left with their family, including their sixteen-year-old son Daniel, who was
destined to become the most celebrated frontiersman in America. The Boones
stopped for a year or more in Linville Creek, six miles north of
Harrisonburg, Virginia. It was not until the late autumn of 1751, or some
time in 1752, that Squire Boone and his party reached the Yadkin Valley in
North Carolina. For his first home site Squire chose a hill overlooking the
Yadkin River in the area which soon became a part of Rowan County but which
is now in Davidson County. At the first County Court held in Salisbury in
June, 1753, Squire Boone was listed as one of the fourteen justices. His
residence was given as Boone's Ford. Later in that year, on December 29,
Squire acquired land on the western side of the Yadkin River in what is now
Davie County, but Rowan County at that time. The grant was for 640 acres on
Bear Creek from the Earl of Granville.

As indicated earlier, the primary significance of Squire Boone's migration
to North Carolina, so far as these narratives are concerned, lies in the
fact that he was accompanied or joined soon afterwards by his nephew John
Boone, son of Benjamin and Ann Farmer Boone.

Children of Squire and Sarah Morgan Boone are:

Sarah (1724-1815), married in Pennsylvania to John Wilsockson was not a
Quaker. They lived on a land grant near the present Cooleemee, Davie County,
NC. The family moved to Kentucky probably in 1779. For additional
information on this line, contact Gary and Ruth Ann Ayres.

Israel (1726-1756) was buried near the present Mocksville, NC. He and his
wife had four children, the two daughters died young. The two sons went to
Kentucky probably in 1779.
Samuel (1728-1816?), lived on present Rowan County side of the South Yadkin
River. All went to Kentucky, probably in 1779.
Jonathan (1730-1808?), married Mary Carter. This family also went to
Kentucky around 1779.
Elizabeth (1732-1825), married William Grant about 1750. The family moved
to Kentucky.
Daniel (1734-1820), married Rebecca Bryan. The family settled in Kentucky
in October 1779. Additional links for Daniel Boone's family provided at the
end of this narrative.
Mary (1736-1819), married William Bryan and moved to Kentucky.
George (1739-1820), married Ann Linville and moved to Kentucky.
Edward (1740-1780), married Martha Bryan and moved to Wilkes County.
Squire, Jr. (1744-1815), married Jane Van Cleave and moved with his family
to Kentucky.
Hannah (1746-1828), married John Stewart.

Benjamin Boone, seventh child of George III and Mary Maugridge Boone, was
born in Devonshire, England, on July 16, 1706. He died in Exeter Township of
Berks County, Pennsylvania, during the year 1762. Benjamin was eleven years
old when his father brought the family to settle with the Quakers in
America. Benjamin's marriage to Ann Farmer occurred some time between August
3, 1726 and September 28, of the same year. On the former date, record was
made of their intention of marriage; on the latter, report was made that the
marriage had been performed. Ann was born in 1701. How long she lived after
their marriage is not known; but it is though that her only child, John
Boone, was born in 1727. It is also thought that Benjamin Boone went outside
the Quaker fold when he married his second wife Susannah, surname not
known - and that the marriage took place early in 1737, for on February 27,
of that year, Benjamin was in disfavor with the Society of Friends.

Benjamin Boone's five children by his second wife were baptized August 6,
1753, at St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church, Morlottan, Berks County,
Pennsylvania. By this time John Boone, Benjamin's son by his first wife Ann
Farmer Boone, was already married and in North Carolina with his uncle
Squire Boone. On January 5, 1762, Benjamin Boone made his will which was
proved in Berks County Court on October 27, 1762. The bulk of his estate
went to his widow Susannah Boone and to his children by this second
marriage; but the will contained one provision which is of great
genealogical significance to some of his descendants: "Also I give to my
eldest son, John Boone, the sum of five shillings." Without the inclusion of
this nominal bequest, the documentation of the relationship between John
Boone and his father might have been difficult indeed.

Children of Benjamin Boone and Susannah are:

Mary born 11 Nov 1739, Berks County, Pennsylvania.
Benjamin born 13 Aug 1741, Berks County, PA. Mrd Eve Lofter 1 Oct 1771.
Died 25 Sept 1824.
James born 24 Mar 1743, Berks County, PA.
Samuel born 11 Oct 1746, Berks County, PA. Died 3 Aug 1811. Mrd Elinor
Hughes.
Dinah born 8 May 1749 Berks County, PA.

Fifth Generation:
John Boone is thought to have been born in Berks County, Pennsylvania, in
1727, the only child of Ann Farmer Boone, first wife of Benjamin Boone.
Since approximately nine years elapsed between John Boone's birth and his
father's second marriage, it is likely that John lived in the home of his
uncle Squire while his father was a widower. John Boone is though to have
married before settling in North Carolina, but neither the date nor the
place is known. Although there are a number of documents to prove that his
wife's first name was Rebecca, no record has been found to indicate anything
further about her name or family connections. On December 21, 1753, John and
Rebecca Boone received a grant of 630 acres from the Earl of Granville. This
land was on Hunting Creek in the vicinity of what is now Center Church, in
Davie County, North Carolina. The cabin which John Boone built was within a
few miles of his uncle Squire Boone. Since there is no mention of any owners
of adjoining land in their deed, it is assumed that John and Rebecca Boone
were among the very earliest settlers on Hunting Creek. On their deed is the
notation, "Delivered to Squire Boone."

John Boone was buried on his plantation on Hunting Creek due west of
Mocksville, county seat of the present Davie County. The exact date of his
death is not known, but on August 3, 1803, letters of administration were
issued to Benjamin Boone and John Boone (Jr.) for the estate of John Boone,
deceased. He probably died in July, 1803, possibly earlier. It was November
12, of that year, when his son-in-law Mark Whitaker, in Fayette County,
Kentucky, executed power of attorney to Benjamin Boone to look after his
interests in the settlement of the estate of John Boone, deceased. Rebecca
Boone, widow of John Boone, made a will on August 26, 1815. As her will was
probated August 23, 1822 (Rowan County Will Book H, p. 169), she probably
died in July or August, 1822. It is assumed that she was buried by John
Boone's side.

On November 6, 1806, John Boone's other heirs gave to John Boone, Jr. a deed
to the homestead (Rowan County Deed Book 21, p. 489). From this deed and
other reliable sources, including Rebecca Boone's will, the names of their
nine children have been determined as follows: Benjamin, Catherine (Katie),
Mary, Rebecca, Sarah, Nancy, Elizabeth, Hannah, and John, Jr. A short sketch
on each follows.

Benjamin Boone, oldest child of John and Rebecca Boone, became a Baptist
preacher. He married Mary Wilson, daughter of John Wilson. After the final
settlement of John Boone's estate in 1809, the Reverend Benjamin Boone with
all his family, except Sarah, who had already married John Donaldson moved
to Jefferson County, Kentucky. By 1812 the family had moved to Bedford or
Lincoln County, Tennessee. On December 10, of that year, two of Benjamin and
Mary Wilson Boone's sons, James and William, enlisted in Bedford County for
service in the War of 1812. The Reverend Benjamin Boone and his family
settled in Lincoln County, near Booneville, which was named for them. He
preached at the Forks Mulberry Baptist Church, now the Mulberry Baptist
Church, which is said to have been the first Baptist church in Lincoln
County. Mary Wilson Boone died November 6, 1823, according to a newspaper
account of the day. Later the Reverend Benjamin Boone married Rebecca Davis,
of Mississippi. The time of his death and the place of his burial are not
known; but it is thought that he died in Lincoln County, Tennessee, in 1836.
Robert Fletcher
Minnie Hillis Reagor

Catherine (Katie) Boone, second child of John and Rebecca Boone, married
Mark Whitaker, They seem to have gone to Kentucky in 1783 and located in
Woodford County....They are reported to have moved to Lincoln County,
Tennessee, about 1809. Linda Medley
Debi Krych

Mary Boone, third child of John and Rebecca Boone of Hunting Creek, is said
to have married John McDaniel who died in Kentucky about 1811.
Rebecca Boone, fourth child of John and Rebecca Boone, married John Frost
on August 21, 1793, She died in 1816 and was buried in the Frost Burying
Ground, in Davie County, North Carolina, near Cana. Tom Rueter
Linda Medley

Sarah Boone, fifth child of John and Rebecca Boone, married John Wilson,
brother of the Mary Wilson who married the Reverend Benjamin Boone. They
settled in Lincoln County, Tennessee.
Nancy Boone, sixth child of John and Rebecca Boone, married Jacob Clifford,
who is reported to have lost his life in the Ohio River. For additional
information on this line, contact Clint Jones Bauer

Elizabeth Boone, seventh child of John and Rebecca Boone, married Samuel
Little. They also settled in Lincoln County, Tennessee. It is from this line
that I am descended. Patricia Little Geary

Hannah Boone, eighth child of John and Rebecca Boone, was born May 25,
1779. She married James Penry.
John Boone, Jr., settled in Lincoln County, Tennessee, after leaving about
1815 the old Boone homestead which he purchased from other heirs in 1806. It
is thought that this family of Boones settled near the present Boonshill,
which was named for them.

For additional information on the Boone Family and Daniel Boone: links
working 12/5/02
Family History of Daniel Boone

Chronology of Daniel Boone's Life

The Boone Society - much info available here