WEBB-L Archives

Archiver > WEBB > 2003-04 > 1051587061

From: "Richard_Marsh" <>
Subject: Fw: [WEBB] Ephraim-Indiana-MO
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:31:14 -0400

Hi Alta,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am sure you are like me, we both are at
brick walls and trying to get over or through
it. At present I don't know of any connection between your Elisha B. Webb
in Shelby Co., IN and my Ephraim L. Webb b. Abt. 1818 in IN d. after 1870 in
either Linn Co. or Sullivan Co., MO but he was in Johnson County when he
married. (Shelby Co. and Johnson Co. IN are next door to each other.) He
married Elizabeth Harris in Johnson County, Mo. in 1842. My G-Grandfather
James C. Webb (I misstated earlier he was my Grandfather). was born in
Johnson Co., IN in 1843 in Blue River Township.

James C. Webb's daughter Cora M. Webb b. 1869 in either Linn Co. or Sullivan
Co. MO. married my Grandfather William Adam Marsh in 1889 in Sullivan Co.,
MO (Linn Co. and Sullivan Co. MO are right next to each other also.) James
C. Webb was a doctor and a dentist and was in the 1880 census of Sullivan
Co., MO. I am not sure
yet if he died there or elsewhere.

I went back to the Shelby Co. and the Johnson Co. IN USGENWEB site and saw
the reference to an Ephraim Webb
being among the first settlers of Shelby Co. in 1821. That Ephraim would
not be my GG as he would not have
been old enough in 1821. However, with the naming patterns back then he may
just be the GGG that we are both
looking for so hard. I looked at the 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850 censuses of IN
and don't see another trace of him in
IN. He may have died or moved on to other places. My Ephraim in the 1850
census of Johnson Co., IN shows his father and mother as born in VA, and
again in the 1870 census of Linn Co., MO as the same. I have not yet found
where they were in 1860.

I was aware of the Robert Webb b. in IL age 27 in Linn Co., MO 1870 census
and he was only a house or two from
my Ephraim and James C. Webb. It could very possibly be that he was another
son of my Ephraim but have not found any other record of him. I watch the
Illinois sites as my Grandfather William A. Marsh was born in Hancock
County, Plymouth Twnshp., IL The age they showed for my James C. Webb in
the 1870 Linn Co. Census was in
error. They showed him as 43 yrs. old. He would have been 27 yrs. old.
But I feel sure if the Robert age 27 is a brother, he is not a twin.

If we both keep our researching with each other in mind, we may solve this
more quickly. I keep a separate file for
cases like this to refer back to periodically and just may get lucky on some
of them.

Keep me in mind, as I will you. I wish you continued success in your
research.

Richard
From the Desktop of
Richard & Sue Marsh