WEDDLE-L ArchivesArchiver > WEDDLE > 2001-09 > 1001176832
Subject: [WEDDLE] MINERVA AUGUSTA FRENCH
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:40:32 EDT
DAUGHTER OF BENJAMIN CURTIS FRENCH & NANCY ANN WEDDLE:
MINERVA AUGUSTA "GUSTY" FRENCH (1868 - 1962)
Named for her grandmothers: MINERVA (FOX) WEDDLE & AUGUSTA (DAYTON) FRENCH.
Married VAN DELISHMAN HESSER on 3 June 1894.
1. JESSIE JANE HESSER, b. 29 Mar 1895, d. 21 Jan 1985
Married 1st: CLYDE ALONZO COOK...Married 2nd: HERMAN SJOBLOM
She and Clyde were Missionaries for the Christian Church. She later
lived in MN.
2. MILDRED ANN HESSER, b. 24 Jan 1897, d. 22 Dec 1950 in CO.
Married: JOHN GREEN 10 Feb 1921 in Stillwater, OK
Lived in Colorado Springs, CO.
3. ISAAC PETER CONRAD "IKE" HESSER, b. 6 Aug 1899, d.___
Married four times: (1) HELEN MARIE PRATER (2) RUTH HOWELL HARDEN
(3) LELA KING & (4) IONE BLISS.
4. MARTHA JEMIMA "MIMA" HESSER, b. 3 Feb 1902, d.20 May 1993.
Married FERRIS PRATER on 23 Oct 1920. They lived in CA.
5. MABLE HANNAH HESSER, b. 27 Sept 1904, d. 9 Aug 1961 in SD.
Married: EARL FRIEND
6. IDA MAY HESSER - married JAMES KINCAID (postmaster of Glencoe, OK)
She was my third grade teacher.
7. VANNIE D. HESSER, JR. b. 12 Nov 1909. He marreid IRENE DEWITT
on 8 Aug 1930. They later divorced.
"Aunt Gusty" was the first School Marm in Payne Co., OK. She taught at a
one-room school house called Fairview. She was earning $24 a month when she
married Van D. Hesser. She was also an artist. She got her normal teaching
certificate in Burden, KS before the FRENCH's moved to OK.
Van D. Hesser moved a one-room building onto their farm, which they called
the shed/kitchen. Augusta taught in it for one year. Many of the children
taught were her own, Ben French's daughter, Bertha, and probably Frank
French's children as well.
As her family continued to grow, Aunt Gusty needed to be home instead of
teaching so she retired. Her replacement, EVA ALZINA CURRY, eventually
received notes from the young widower, BENJAMIN MARCUS FRENCH, asking to
court her. The notes were dispatched by none other than Ben's young daughter,
Bertha. On 18 April 1907 (the year Oklahoma became a state) Ben and Eva
married. They are my maternal grandparents.
Descendant of NANCY ANN (WEDDLE) FRENCH