WELCH-L Archives

Archiver > WELCH > 1999-10 > 0939006387

From: "Sharon Welch" <>
Subject: [WELCH-L] South Carolina Welch's
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:06:27 -0600

I believe my WELCH family came from South Carolina, too; probably the Orangeburg District. James WELCH, Sr., was born about 1758 and married Margaret WILEY of Chester County, South Carolina, daughter of James and Sarah WILEY. To them were born at least five sons; Warren (abt 1775), James, Jr. (abt 1785), John (abt 1787), Young (abt 1795), and Nathan (abt 1797).
The family migrated through Alabama (about 1809) to Mississippi where they settled in Simpson and Copiah Counties in the early 1800's. A few records are also found in Amite and Rankin Counties.
>From Mississippi, they migrated through Arkansas (about 1849) and on to Texas (about 1857) where they eventually settling in Edwards, Real, and Kerr Counties.
My line is through James WELCH, Jr. who married first Frances (?) and second Mahala REDMAN or REDMON, daughter of Zachariah REDMAN or REDMON and Frances DYKES. Sons of James WELCH, Jr.'s first marriage include William (abt 1807), David (1809), Wiley Pinckney (1813), and Jimerson (1815). According to my records, William was born in South Carolina, David was born in Alabama, and the other children were born in Mississippi. Children from James, Jr.'s second marriage include John George (1820), Henry James (1823), Paremelie (1824), Franklin P. (1825), Isham Butcher (1831), and Jessie B. (1835). All of these children were born in Mississippi.
I have no documentation proving the connection of my WELCH family to South Carolina other than census records (1790 and 1800) in the Orangeburg District and Barnwell County.
I look forward to hearing from other Welch's from South Carolina!

This thread: