WESSEX-PLUS-L Archives

Archiver > WESSEX-PLUS > 2000-09 > 0969341176

From: judy roake <>
Subject: [WSX] GAMMON FAMILY
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:26:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me please. I am trying to
locate my family on the 1851 Census and I realise it
is probably like looking for a needle in a haystack
but nothing ventured, nothing gained as the saying
goes.

My g-g-grandfather, Richard GAMMON, was born in
Shirwell, Devon in 1814. In 1839, he married Ann
STOKES in Wraxall, Somerset. Ann had been born in
Wraxall in 1818. The two eldest girls, Harriet and
Agnes, were born in Somerset and then the family moved
back to Devon. On the 1841 census, they were living in
Knowle, near Braunton, where Richard was a blacksmith.
My g-grandfather, William Stokes GAMMON, was born in
Braunton in 1842 and his youngest sister, Selina, was
born in Knowle in 1844. However, there was no sign of
them in Devon in 1851. I have also checked the village
of Wraxall, thinking perhaps they came back there but
to no avail. The only clue I have is that William
Stokes GAMMON was nicknamed "Bristol Bill" which had
led me originally to believe that he was born in
Bristol but could he have got that name by living
there most of his childhood before emigrating to
Australia? In December,1856, the family boarded the
"Admiral Boxer" and arrived in Geelong, Australia in
March the following year. I would love to know where
they lived in the years between 1844 and 1856. Has
anyone seen them or any suggestions? Any help would be
much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Judy Roake, Australia (with eyes glued to the
Olympics).