WESSEX-PLUS-L Archives

Archiver > WESSEX-PLUS > 2001-07 > 0995797939

From: Paul Benyon <>
Subject: Re: [WSX] Oakingham Berkshire
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:32:19 +0100

Hi Dennis

You be talkin' about the place Oi were born and went to zchool ! Not
that Oi learn' much, 'cept a load 'a latin long forgot ;-)

Ahem! Its the same place - Oaken'am or Oakingham is now Wokingham!

You should perhaps be aware of a confusing feature of this town though!
Certain parts of it and the neighbouring villages, such as Hurst, were
owned by the diocese of Salisbury in Wiltshire, up to the early part of
the 19th Century. You may therefore read of Oakingham, Wiltshire as
well as Oakingham Berks - its all one and the same place!

If its of any interest some names from the Wiltshire Poll for 1772 can
be seen on line at:

http://www.btinternet.com/~PBenyon/Wilts_Census_1772/Wilt_1772.htm

These include some people who lived in Oakingham, Hurst and other
Berkshire villages, as well as Wiltshire. But they will of course have
certain property etc which allowed them voting rights in those days -
one shouldn't forget that more than 90% of the population didn't have a
say in politics! There is a better explanation of this poll somewhere
on-line, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

Regards

Paul
Portland