WEST-RIDING-L Archives

Archiver > WEST-RIDING > 2000-08 > 0965932445

Subject: [WRY] Newby Hall Archives
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:34:05 EDT

Hello Listers,

Within ths past 48 hours there was a posting about the possible loss of some
very important archives from the West Yorkshire Archive
Service.............whilst at Sheepscar, Leeds, today ( on my regular
Thursday for transcription and indexing of the Knaresborougn Wills.........!!
) I picked up a leaflet, which I have hand-scanned and show below (less the
graphics); some of the formatting has been lost, but I am sure you will get
the gist of it.

Having spoken to one of the senior staff at Sheepscar, I understand that this
is yet another example of a family trying to raise tax-free funds by
selling-off assets which are mainly of no interest to themselves.

It occurred to me that many, many, of you have received considerable help
from many Listers, and you might like to consider contributing to this
appeal. This would be a wonderful way to say "Thank You" for all the help
received.

I would like to add that if you do send a contribution, then it would be nice
if you made it clear that you are part of the West-Riding
List.............this would give the WYAS a good indication of the interest
taken by this group and their generosity.

Thank you for reading this.............

Tony Cheal
Harrogate Historical Society and re-Population Study Group
THE NEWBY HALL ARCHIVES APPEAL

THE WEST YORKSHIRE ARCHIVE SERVICE

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

THE YORKSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

This is one of the most important collections of family and estate papers in
Yorkshire. Most of it has been held on loan in the Leeds office of the West
Yorkshire Archive Service since 1957 and is therefore well known both to
local students and to scholars throughout the world. The papers have now been
offered to the Service for purchase as an entity for £250,000.

Newby is an important county house near Ripon and is open to the public. It
has interiors by Robert Adam, furniture by Chippendale and gardens laid out
in the twentieth century. The archives, which occupy 165 feet of shelving,
date from the twelfth century to the present and relate principally to the
interests of the Robinson, Weddell and Vyner families, who held estates
throughout Yorkshire, in Lincolnshire, Cheshire, London and elsewhere.

Their scope is wide, encompassing accounts of the Sheriff of Yorkshire
1599-1666, the activities of London financiers in the Restoration period,
York civic affairs and the election of members of parliament there, London
customs records 1717-1719, the naval papers of Rear-Admiral Sir Tancred
Robinson (d. 1754), correspondence illustrating eighteenth century political,
diplomatic and social life, papers and accounts about building and furnishing
Newby Hall itself, Baldersby Park and 26 Soho Square, London, 1718-1794,
records of the development of Birkenhead in the nineteenth century, of
horseracing and breeding 1867-1920 and the maintenance of motor cars
1900-1905. In addition there are long series of deeds and leases, manorial
records, surveys, estate maps, rentals, wages records, estate accounts and
agent's correspondence.

The offer also includes a fine collection of architectural drawings which has
not been deposited before. They relate to Newby itself and to Baldersby Park
in Yorkshire, houses in London, Gautby Hall in Lincolnshire, Bidston Hall on
the Wirral, and other houses and estate buildings. The architects include
Robert Adam, Colen Campbell, John Carr, William Chambers, the younger
Chippendale and William Burges. These drawings will come into public custody
for the first time if this purchase is successful.

These archives are particularly important because they relate closely to
other record office collections. They link directly with those from
Fountains, Studley Royal and Ripley Castle, which already belong to the West
Yorkshire Archive Service. Other elements of the Robinson papers will be
found in York City Archives, the Bedfordshire Record Office and the British
Library. It is therefore all the more crucial to secure the future of this
collection.
If you can help, please send your donation, with the slip below, to the
YORKSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY, addressed to the Hon Treasurer at 23
Clarendon Road, Leeds LS2 9NZ

Registered Charity No 224083

NEWBY HALL ARCHIVES APPEAL

I enclose a donation of £ ............made payable to 'YAS Newby Appeal'

Full name
Address
Post code
Tel No

Please enclose a prepaid envelope if a receipt is required.

If you would like your gift to be anonymous please tick the box.

GIFT AID: if you pay tax we can normally reclaim it. If you would like
us to do this, please sign the declaration below.

Declaration: I wish the Yorkshire Archaeological Society to treat my
donation as a Gift Aid donation and reclaim tax on it.

Signed:

You must be a UK tax payer and pay an amount of Income Tax or Capital Gains
Tax equal to the amount we can reclaim on your donation (28p on every £1 you
give).
TARGET £250,000

Funds towards this purchase have already been promised by the Friends of the
National Libraries, the National Art Collections Fund and some local
individuals and organisations. Applications have also been made to the
Victoria and Albert Museum Purchase Grant Fund and the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The more we can raise from this appeal, the more we can hope to receive from
these national funding bodies.

PLEASE GIVE GENEROUSLY

THE WEST YORKSHIRE ARCHIVE SERVICE is supported by the five local authorities
of West Yorkshire and incorporates the record office facilities of Bradford,
Calderdale, Kirklees, Leeds, Wakefield and the Yorkshire Archaeological
Society. It is responsible for the archives of the historical West Riding of
Yorkshire and for the West Riding Registry of Deeds.

THE YORKSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY was founded in 1863, and promotes
interest in the history and archaeology of Yorkshire as a whole. Its Leeds
headquarters house a fine library and archive collections which are open to
the public. The Society is a registered charity.

This thread: