WEST-RIDING-L Archives

Archiver > WEST-RIDING > 2003-01 > 1043188142

From: Kim Groothuis <>
Subject: Re: [WRY] Religious leanings
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:29:11 +0000 (GMT)

Hello Eileen
In England 'the parish church' would always mean Church of England (Anglican). As some recent postings have mentioned, until 1837 most other religious denominations could not conduct legal marriages, so some people who married in the Church of England may have actually attended a different place of worship, or may have had no religious affiliation at all.
Hope this helps
Kim
Eileen <> wrote:
Hello All,

I have a marriage certificate that says on March 21, 1853 Edmund Buckley married Eliza Sykes after banns, which was solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of Huddersfield In the County of York and that their residence was Deanhead.

Can anyone tell me how you tell what their religion was from this information?

Regards

Eileen - Connecticut USA

The wall is crumbing.............. John Buckley- Saddleworth 1789 -