WEST-RIDING-L Archives

Archiver > WEST-RIDING > 2003-06 > 1055884607

From: "Roy Stockdill" <>
Subject: [WRY] Re: 1881 Census
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:23:08 +0000

"A.A. Watkinson" <> wrote.....

> I have just acquired the above Census CD's, and am puzzled that I cannot
> find members of a certain family who are listed in both the 1871 Census and
> the 1891 Census. It is very highly unlikely that they had gone abroad on
> that date. I cannot find them anywhere in the UK. One name is Gulielma so
> should stick out like a sore thumb, but No, it isn't there. Is this unusual,
> or are there many families who were not recorded (for that is the only
> reason I can think of the account for the missing entry)?>

THE 1881 census CDs, marvellous and bargain resource that they are,
are riddled with errors of transcription. As someone else observed,
the resulting data is about 4th hand. You have to search in a lateral
way, trying every possible variant and corruption of the surname you
can think of. Even then it may have got so corrupted it may be pure
luck if you ever find it! Here is something you could try, though
it's a real long shot.....

1) Insert any 1881 disc into the CD-Drive but do NOT open up the
Family History Resource File Viewer (as you would to search in the
normal way).

2) Instead, click on your CD-Drive icon and look at the directories
that appear. You will see a folder called Bi1881. Open this up and
you will see another folder called STANDARD.

3) Open this folder and you will see a very large file (17.6MB)
called 1881bc. This is a Microsoft Access database file and loads
into the Access program (if you have it). It contains a table of
many, many thousands of unique surnames and variants - ALL the
surnames, in fact, found on the discs.

4) Trawl through the table, looking for possibilities that your
surname might have got corrupted to.

It's very long-winded and time-consuming, but who knows - you might
just get lucky! I don't think the existence of this surnames database
within the 1881 discs is very widely known.

Might just be worth a try.

Roy Stockdill (Editor, Journal of One-Name Studies)
SoG Executive & Director of Projects, FFHS
Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does he will tell you, if he does not why humiliate him? - Canon Sydney Smith

This thread: