WEST-RIDING-L Archives

Archiver > WEST-RIDING > 2011-01 > 1296199414

From: "Glenn & Sandra Matheson" <>
Subject: Re: [WRY] Holmfirth Parish Registers George Hinchliffe
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:23:34 +1100

Hello Lesley
Thank you so much for all your help. I have him on a few criminal records.
The first is as Ernest Charles George 1876 stealing a heifer 12 months
imprisonment
Then as George Ernest Charles in 1877 Fraud 12 months imprisonment
Then as George Ernest Charles in 1879 Larceny 7 year's penal servitude and 3
years police supervision. He married in Australia in 1891 so I am assuming
that he came after his time was served and it would seem that he was a
reformed man.
As I said his marriage says that his father Jonathon was Governor of the
Workhouse I think that it is the same chap. Thank you for the information
that you have sent to me which I am extremely grateful. He is in Wormwood
Scrubs in London in 1881 even though he was convicted in Yorkshire but I
believe that groups of men from prisons throughout England were sent there
to help build it so maybe this is why he is there. I have not yet found him
and Celia in any census as yet so there is a mystery to solve. Maybe I am on
the wrong track and he is not the one in prison. Maybe he came to Oz with
his wife Celia bus as yet I haven't found any sign of her here. Ah the joys
of family history
Regards
Sandy

<Hello List
Would anyone have access to the Holmfirth Parish Registers? I am looking for
the baptism of George Ernest Charles Hinchliffe born about 1859. He is 22 on
the 1881 census where he is in jail. On his marriage cert here in Australia
he says that his father is Jonathon Hinchliffe Governor of the Workhouse,
but as I can find no evidence of this I think that George was a bit less
than honest at that time even though he became quite respectable here in OZ
Any info would be much appreciated
Regards
Sandy
Australia