WESTER-L Archives

Archiver > WESTER > 2008-12 > 1229653519

From: ,
Subject: Re: [WESTER] Looking for Information on Susan Bennett Wester HokesBluff, Alabama
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 02:25:19 -0000

Author: richajs2003
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.wester/166.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Thank you for your reply. I would like to share data with you. Please email me at .

The reference that started me looking for Mrs. Wester is quoted below. If you have any information on the family history that Mrs. Wester wrote about her family, I would love to have it. I can send you the rest of the reference text if you would like it.

Historical Sketches of Franklin County by Edward Hull Davis (Edwards & Broughton Co., Raleigh, N.C., 1948)

Pages 253-257: Chapter LXXIV

"An article by M. S. Davis appearing in the Franklin Times, 11-November-1902 discusses the four Revolutionary soldiers buried at the "Richards-Davis-Bennett homestead. The homestead is said to be about five miles Northeast from Louisburg. The soldiers buried there are George and James Richards (brothers) and Micajah and James Davis (brothers). From the discussion, Micajah Davis married a daughter of George Richards; thus, the relationship and likely the reason for the interment at the homestead.

Mrs. Susan Bennett Wester, then of Hokes Bluff, Alabama wrote up the history of her ancestors. The following is given as this history in her own words: "My great-grandfather, George Richards and his brother James, came from Nansemond County, Va., before the Revolutionary war and settled at the Richards homestead, about five miles Northeast from Louisburg. The place was then Bute County, and under British rule; after 1779 it was in Franklin County and under colonial rule; later still it was and now is within the jurisdiction of the United States Government. Thus it will be seen that George Richards lived in two different counties and under three different governments and yet lived in the same house all the time. All I know of my Richards ancestors, I learned from my grandmother, who died 1844, when I was twelve years old..."

Important Note: