WEXFORD-L Archives

Archiver > WEXFORD > 1999-07 > 0931311952

From: <>
Subject: [WEXFORD-L] MOGUE DOYLE 1798 Rising
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 21:45:52 -0400

Hi there!
I've just joined the list and am new at this. I'll try to control my
enthusiasm and keep it short and concise, but would rather flood you all
with hundreds of questions! Here's the story.

I'm writing from Kingston, Ontario, Canada, but we are really from 4 or
5 generations of Cape Breton Irish, and our antecedent, Mogue, is the
rogue I'm after. We know lots about him, but I am interested in
#1 finding the line of descendants of his uncles, if he had any, who
might have stayed in Wexford, 9in otherwords, kin!)
#2 locating geographically the farm he rented near Enniscourthy, and
#3 learning the specifics of the times and places - the context - that
may be found in whatever Primary Sources there may be (are there any?)
from the summer of the Rebellion. I'll explain:

MOGUE DOYLE b.circa 1780, was the only son of JAMES DOYLE and ANN
O'BRIEN. (He had seven sisters, so the male line can't be followed
unless he had uncles.)

At about 18 yrs. Mogue joined the United Irishmen and "led a company" of
them in the Rebellion of '98. He was captured, imprisoned, escaped in
disguise wearing his sisters clothes (I'm not making this up!) and got
to Nova Scotia within the year, where he was helped to "go to ground" in
Cape Breton, and where he spied the beautiful and uninhabited Margaree
Valley and never forgot it. (The Cape Breton uncle who took him under
his wing and gave him work, Laurence Kavanaugh, eventually became the
first to break the religion barrier in the colonial government, becoming
first elected Catholic member of parliament in the Assembly of Nova
Scotia, and, after petitioning, was allowed to swear his oath without
the Anglican edits and join the Government!)

Mogue returned to Ireland about 1802 or 3 "to clear his name" after the
passing of the "Act of Settlement" which granted pardon to the Rebels.
(Does this mean he was personally pardoned by the UK and taken off the
fugitive list? Are there records of all these official pardons? Or was a
general amnesty granted?) Of course the Act of Union had been passed as
well during his absence.

In Ireland he married JUDITH O'NEILL in 1806 and she bore four children,
JAMES (March 16, 1807), ANN, SARAH and MARY, dying in childbirth with
the last little girl MARY. Mogue and his three children continued to
live on the farm which Mogue "held on rent from Earl Fitzwilliam at
Olart's Hill (Who was Oulart?), near the town of Enniscourthy, Parish of
Farno, on the banks of the river Slaney." Mogue married a second time
to MARY ANN LAWLOR.

Around 1820 Mogue's other Cape Breton uncle EDWARD HAYES(half-brother to
his mother ANN O'BRIEN), died leaving a decent legacy to his kin back in
Ireland. Mogue was left either 100 or 400 pounds, Nova Scotia
currency. With that money he was able to leave the rented farm and his
new wife and daughters in the hands of his son James, and emigrate in
1824 to Cape Breton Island where he could purchase land in the pristine
Margaree Valley and where he could lay out his farm at what is still
known as Doyles Bridge, over the salmon rich Margaree River. Back home
young James "worked for the Earl Fitzwilliam until 1828, when, with his
stepmother and sister Sarah, he came to Margaree. Ann followed later."

Other Wexford families followed Mogue, the Coady's and the Tompkins, and
between the three families they populated the valley and produced a
legion of priests, nuns, doctors, educators, political reformers. The
Wexford crowd did very well.

If anyone finds any of this familiar, please let me know.

-More specifically, are there military records from the Uprising? Where
are they, in British archives or Irish?

-If an Enniscourthy lad were rounded up and thrown in prison, where
would that prison have been? a temporary makeshift prison maybe? or a
real prison in Dublin? Would records of prisoners and escapees have
been kept? Was there a list of wanted men? What fate awaited a captured
escapee?

-Is there a local collection of United Irishmen documents? groups in
Wexford at the time? Are there original contemporary chronicles from the
summer of '98? from a Wexford point of view?

-Were official Amnesties awarded to specific people, or was the Act of
Settlement a general Amnesty. Where can I read the Act of Settlement?

-Also, vocabulary: Is a "croppie" the same as a tenant farmer?

-Besides the great Dublin real estate of the Earl Fitzwilliam, what
agricultural holdings did he have and where can I find records of his
estate near Enniscourthy? Are there church, parish and land records from
before the Uprising, or do they all begin afresh after the Act of Union
in 1801?

-The 4th Earl Fitzwilliam was the Lord Lieutenent of Ireland prior to
the Uprising. What's a Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, and why would he let
Mogue work for him after his being an enemy of the state?

- The Parish of Farno?

Enough!

Sorry to have bitten off such a huge chunk, but I don't know how else to
start. Any wee bits of information will feel like sustenance.

Thank you all, what a treat!
Aileen Brophy

This thread: