WEXFORD-L Archives

Archiver > WEXFORD > 2008-11 > 1227065146

From: "Leigh Taffe Acla" <>
Subject: Re: [WEXFORD] Staffords,Kinsellas,MurphysAND O'NEILLS
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 20:25:46 -0700

Barbara,

Mary Ann Quinn was born around 1805 in County Wexford. A quick search at
Irishgenealogy.com for Wexford appears to have 1828 marriage certificate for
a Patrick Stafford to Mary Quin. Based on the children's birth locations,
her and Patrick emigrated to the US some time between 1835 and 1837. It was
not uncommon at this time to come through Canada, New York and then
Pennsylvania working on the canals. By 1850, Mary Ann and Patrick were in
Pennsylvania living in the Irish Settlement (Wyoming County side) where they
remained until their deaths. Mary Ann died 31 May 1863 and is buried in the
older section of St. Basil's, the RC church in Dushore, Sullivan County,
Pennsylvania. There are several other Quinns in this cemetery as well. If
you are interested in their names and dates, I can provide that information.

Catherine Quinn was said to have been born 17 Jun 1805 in County Wexford
according to various sources. She married John Kinsley (Kinsella) around
1828. John's descendants claim John was from Lower Mount Howard, Monamolin
and he was the son of James Kinsley and Mary Sinott. The story is that John
emigrated first after losing the family farm. Catherine and their son
followed. They apparently met up in Canada, where another son, Patrick, was
born, then came to America through Oswego, New York around August of 1833.
By 1850 they were living in the Irish Settlement (Wyoming County side) near
the Stafford family. Their son, Patrick, went on to marry Ellen Stafford,
daughter of Patrick and Mary Ann Quinn Stafford, in 1860. William, another
son of Catherine and John, was very sickly and spent most of his life in an
institution in Danville. The story goes that in 1872 Catherine and John went
to visit him and he looked so poor it caused Catherine to have a heart
attack. She died 4 Sep 1872 while waiting for transport to the hospital.
William died less than two weeks later.

I do have a considerable amount of information regarding their descendants.
However, I currently have no further information regarding the parents nor
siblings of either Mary Ann Quinn or Catherine Quinn.

Leigh Taffe Acla
Irish Settlement