WHALEY-L Archives

Archiver > WHALEY > 1996-08 > 0839302267

From: <>
Subject: Membership List Update
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 23:31:07 -0400

Dear WSP members:
Recently I finally got around to sending George Whaley and
Joe Jones the membership list of the Whaley Search Party. George suggested
today that I send it out to everyone again with the most recent corrections
and updates. So here 'tis! As you will see there are a few blanks yet to be
filled in. As new Partiers join in, we'll try to keep up with this master
research list.

Lyn

Whaley Search Party: Updated list with info as of 4 Aug 1996

Anderson, Nancy

James Whaley, Sr. d 1785 Loudoun Co, VA md. 2nd Penelope King;
their dau: Hannah Whaley md. Peter Carter, VA, his 2nd wife ;
Nancy descends from their son Ephraim.

Barnes, Mary Lee

Athens, TX
Eli Whaley of Walton Co, GA, son of
Wm. Whaley d. 1795 Greene Co., GA;
his sons Wm and Eli.
Connection to Ed. Wale of Maryland?

Barnes, Judy

609 Logan St,
Toronto, OH 43964
(614) 537-5298
James Whaley b. 1817 DE, d. Ritchie Co, WVA
md. Rachel Howard b. 9 Nov 1837 Athens Co, OH;
their dau. Melissa Jane Whaley b. ca 1831, OH? md.
John Patrick Dinnan 1870, Ritchie Co, WVA.

Beckwith, David L.

26W254 Wiesbrook Road
Wheaton, IL 60187-7856
Web page: "http://homepage.interaccess.com/~beckwith/smoky.htm";
Alexander Whaley and (wife Abigail Leverich) Whaley
(b. 1748, d 1833), desc. of Lord Edw. & Eliz. Middleton?;
has 2700 descendants in database!

Bennett, Rita J. Whaley

P.O. Box 1244
Carrboro, NC 27510-1244
Phone 919/932-3821
Researching: Charles 1769-1834 md. Mary Bush, Onodaga, NY; his son:
David W. 1794-1836 md. Mary "Polly" Wickham of VT , Herkimer, NY

Black, Dr. Necia

Whaleys of Virginia

Clark, Garland

Hannah Whaley d/o James Whaley, Jr & Lettice Carter,
who md. John Christy of KY

Correll, Dolores
311 Robin Drive
Somerset, KY 42501

JamesWhaley/Remey, VA
John Whaley of Irwin Co, GA; dates ?
John J. Whaley, b. 1825 S.C.,
d. 1862 in VA during Civil War, m. Jane Jowers.

Dalrymple, Jeannie

James & Lydia Remey Whaley of VA

Beckwith, John R.
or
Glendale Heights, IL
Researching : Whaleys in SC/TN

Haltiwanger, Lynn

Powder Springs, GA
Searching South Carolina Whaleys, Goose Creek, Berkeley Co, SC
George Powell Whaley, Sr b. ca 1775 d: ca 1817 ( son of John Whaley?) ;
Two known children: Wm b ca 1801 d ca 1870; George, Jr. b 18 Jul 1805
d 25 Sep 1872

Hoffman, William

6364 Cliffside Drive
Florence, KY 41042
Particularly interested in Northern Kentucky lines, i.e.,
John Whaley, born 1800, KY and listed in Kenton Co.,KY census;
md. Sarah Phelps 20 Jul 1820, Campbell Co, KY.
My Mary Ellen Whaley b. 1832 md Silas Edward Hoffman, 1852;
need to verify her parents.

Johnpeter, Sue

1037 Augustana Drive,
Naperville, Il. 60565.
Researching: James Whaley, Jr. who
md. Lettice Carter, dau. of Peter Carter
Her grandfather: Nathaniel, said to be named for
ancestor; which Nathaniel Whaley was he?

Jones, Joseph R.

1640 Richmond Rd.
Lexington KY 40502
Descendant of William Whaley (1750-1795) of Sinepuxent, MD,
who md Hannah POUND/ROUND, whose
daughter: Mary Whaley (1771-1847) md James Jones

Kindregan, Jim
5014 Shoreline Drive
Polk City, FL 33868
941-984-1442

Primarily interested in decendants who settled in Maryland.
I was born in Whaleyville, Maryland, and am involved with the
Whaleyville cemetery there which goes back to Capt. Peter Whaley, Sr.
a 4th generation decendant of the Regicide. (?) Have also re-produced
Dr. Barton's book on the Whaley family.

Lewis, Rod
841 Forsythia Dr.
Indianapolis, Indiana 46219
or
Using a Home-made Multimedia Pentium PC w/16Mg RAM & running WIndows 95
I'm a descendant of Theophilus Whaley and although I'm ambivalent
as to whether Theophilus was either Edward or Robert Whaley,
I have info going back to Wayramus Whaley.
Theophilus Whaley md Elizabeth Mills; their dau. Martha md. Joseph Hopkins;
I'm related to two of their grandchildren, Hannah Hopkins and Garnder
Hopkins.

Lloyd, Roger
(NOTE: msg. returned 6/10/96)
Wm. Samuel Whaley of St. Francois Co, MO, 1827
Who is his father? Mother: Cynthia, b. Indiana

Lunsford, Harlan

Phenix City, AL
James Adolphus Whaley, b. 1770/80 in SC, came thru Greene Co, GA
enroute to Randolph/GA; died there about 1850. He is said to have
served in 1812 war as member of a SC militia regiment, but no confirmation.
Of course I can only guess at this point that his parents came down from
Virginia via NC as did so many others on the great migration trails.

(Msg. returned 6/29/96)
Interested in any and all historical information on the Whaley's of SC
and their offshoots, from Edward "The Whale" Whaley on...

Looking for relatives of William LeeWhaley b. 1861 NC, raised by Grandmother
in or near Chatannooga; md 1st Jessie Bolton, TN-two children Minnie and
John ca 1870.
Md 2nd Lottie Jackson, 1894 , MO; children :
1. Ira Lee b 1898 d 1951, MO (my grandfather!)
2. Nora Elizabeth 1897
3. Franklin Lee 1901
Md. 3rd Emma Pyle Cooper Rhodes1908, MO; children:
1. Marion Etchell 1909
2. Lorene May 1912
3. Lillian Lee 1915
4. Bertha 1914.

Moore, Phillip

James Whaley/Barbara Remey's son:
"Jimmie" Remey (called Whaley) md. Eleanor "Nellie" Brown ca 1790, VA;
their dau. Harriet Whaley md. Wm. Knight 1809, Bourbon Co, KY.
Ephraim Knight, b. 1828, Bourbon Co., KY

Orton, Ben
(Msgs. returned 6/96)
I'm looking for some help on the Whaley line, My G-G-Father is
James Whaley who died in Gainesville, Florida.

Richmond, Allen

807 W 45 St
Kansas City MO 64111
Macintosh/Gene 411
Whaley First Family of Ohio
Silas Whaley, b. 1791 (OH) m. Susannah (__) b. 1800 (PA) ca 1817. 5 of 7 ch
known, and descendants.
Joseph Whaley, b 1796 (OH) m. Elizabeth (___) b 1805 (OH) ca 1825. 7 ch
known.
(Searching for parents of these brothers.)
My GGgrandmother was Sarah Jane Whaley (29 SEP 1842, Jackson Co OH-04 FEB
1931, Pike Co. OH)
md Joseph Cephus Hatfield (12 MAR 1838, Beaver Creek OH-22 JAN 1926, Pike
Co. OH) at Bourneville OH 26 APR 1863. Joseph Cephus Hatfield was a soldier
in the 176 Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry in Civil War, discharged 14
JUN 1865 at Nashville TN.

Robin ?

Harold WHALEY married Elizabeth TYSON (b. 1888),
daughter of John Tyson and Susan Jane KIDD. I assume both
parents died young because neither are in 1920 census in NY.
Their sons, Harold (1908) and John (1910), lived with
grandmother Susan Kidd Tyson in 1920.

Russell, Doris M.
8600 Hickory Hill Lane
Huntsville, AL 35802

Wm. Whaley, b. 1745, MD - d. 1795, Greene Co, GA;
md. Hannah POUND (or Brewton); his son Wm b 1783
d 1844 Fayette Co, Ga md. Elizabeth.
Need their children!

Shaw, Terrel
728 Ave A
Rome, GA 30165
706-235-3754

Wm. Whaley b. 1745 MD d. 1795, Greene Co. , GA;
his son: Eli ,
his son: Agrippa Whaley 1810- md. Johnson,
his son: James Whaley 1828-1899 md. Hazeltine Langford,
his dau: Mary E. 1850-1919, Newton Co, GA md. Nathan Wood,
his dau: Minnie Zepora Wood md. Grady Columbus Shaw,
they had Charles Columbus Shaw
whose son is Charles Terrel Shaw!

Morgan, Leslie
5110 Hwy 86
Easley, SC 29642

My mother's grandmother was a Whaley from the Jonesboro, GA area in the early
1900's. One of her sons was Will Mundy, my grandfather, born about 1888.

Stack, Mary
Medina (Orleans Co.), Western NY.

IBM compatible 486DX2-66,
CD Rom, using Family Origins.
My G-grandmother was Caroline Whaley, married Darwin Swan,
birth/death and places/dates unknown. Their only child,
Mary Marinda Swan was born 1872/73 in Dale (Erie County), NY,
married Hoyt Hibbard, Sr., lived in North Collins, (Erie Co.), NY.

Vinson, A.J.
4013 Walnut Park Circle
Garland, TX 75024-6061

James Whaley b. 1849, AL - d. 1908, Smith Co, TX
md. Emaline

Vosburg, Carolyn Whaley
4121 Oak Hill Lane
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(501) 935-3600

Mac IIci w/ Reunion ver. 6 software
James Whaley of Loudoun Co, VA, Rev. War Patriot, d. 1785
md. 1st Hannah Higgerson; 2nd Penelope King
Looking for his parents!
James, Jr. md. Lettice Carter, dau. of Peter Carter & Amelia Veale Tillot and
rec'd grant of land in Fayette Co, KY in 1785.
They had Edward who md. Nancy Haynie & migrated to
Marion Co, MO in 1821.

Whaley, Carolyn

Preston Whaley, Dalton, GA

Whaley, Connie Burnett
110 Meadowgate Dr.
Forest, VA 24551

Calvin Whaley of Cherokee, TN md. Mary Harvey; their son:
Paul Whaley b 1905, Cherokee, TN d Jun 1991 Johnson City, TN; his son:
Carlos Calvin Whaley, Johnson City, TN (Connie's husband)
She believes family originated in SW VA.

Whaley, Dan
D 4
George Whaley b 1813 md. Mary Price 7 Jan 1836, Pike Co, Ohio;
Their son : Alvin Whaley b. 1848, Ohio md. Elizabeth b. 1850 and
had Newton C. 1871 Dan's great-grandfather.

Whaley, David

Walnut Creek, CA
Researching?

Whaley, George

San Antonio, TX
Joseph Whaley b. 1802, Cambridgeshire, England d. 1869,
Hamilton/Webster Co, Iowa md. Rebecca Redhead,
b. 1801, England, d. 1857 Saybrook, Astabula Co, OH;
They had 7 children; their son George Ebenezer
Whaley b. 1837, England, d. 1917, Minn.; md.
Luna Ann Sutton, b. 1842, OH, d. 1908, Minn.
A cousin (?) named George came to Brooklyn in
the 1850's; had a dau., Emma Jane b 1856; gave
her to Joseph to raise when her mother died, then
disappeared!

Whaley, Keith
3629 Greenwood Ave.
Mar Vista, CA 90066
310-391-9871
Using a Mac Quadra 630 w/Mac Systm 7.5.1 O/S

CA (father of Mark, below!)
Note: Keith's sister is Carolyn Whaley Cooper
of Mentor, Ohio!
Theophilus Whaley b 1616, England md. Eliz. Mills;
his son: Samuel Whaley b 1690 md. Hopkins, dau of Pardon Hopkins of
Hopkins Hill, Conn;
his son: Charles b 1769, N.Kingston, RI, md Esther;
their son: Stephen b 1798, VT md. Mary "Polly" Williams
Other sons: Remington, Ephraim, David, Washington of Dale, NY
NOTE: Some researchers think Theophilus is Robert, brother of Edward, the
Regicide!

Whaley, Mark K.
58721 S. 26 Road
Bethesda, Ohio 43719-9726
614-484-1089
Using an IBM running WIN95

See father's research line above!

Whaley, Robert & Allison

Gananoque, Ontario. Canada
Researching:
1-Theophilus Whaley b. abt 1808 in U.S. or Can. d.
m. Susana _____ b. abt 1824 d.
Religion - Wesleyan Methodist
2-Daniel J. Whaley b. 1848 in Ont. Can. d. 1931 in Ont. Can.
m. Merilla E. Potts b. 1857 d. 1938
3-Percy Harold Whaley b. 1882 d.1970
m. Mary Edith McConnell b. 1889 d.1948
4-Harold Arthur Whaley b. 1930
m. Margaret May Harris b. 1933
5-Robert Arthur Whaley b. 1963
m. Laurel Allison Blyth b. 1966

Whaley, Storm
(NOTE: msg. returned 6/10/96!)
Elijah W. b. 1792 Worcester Co. MD, d.1859 Dekalb Co. TN,
Thomas W. b. ca 1765 MD,
Elias W. b 1722 Somerset Co., MD,
Nathaniel W. b 1686, Somerset and his father
Edward Wale d. 1718 Somerset [thought by some to be the Regicide; other
researchers say this Edward was his son.]

Not on-line:
Cecil Lee Jones, Jr.
94 Deerwood Park
Centralia, IL 62801-5931
He has a book, Whaley Descendants 1995, that he can
produce from his computer which relates to the Jones
line above.

Those now (4 Aug 1996) members through the listserver:

George Whaley San Antonio, TX
David L. Beckwith

Keith Whaley Los Angeles, CA
Joseph R. Jones
Phillip Moore Ocean, NJ
Nancy Anderson Corpus Christi, TX
Rita Whaley Bennett Chapel Hill, NC
Sue Johnpeter Naperville, IL
Bill Hoffman Northern Kentucky
Dolores
Mary Lee Barnes Athens, TX
Lynn Haltiwanger
Mary Hibbard Stack Medina, NY
Robert & Allison Whaley Gananoque,
Ontario, Canada
Carolyn (Lyn) Whaley Vosburg, Jonesboro, AR
Allen Richmond Kansas City, MO
Judy Hayes-Barnes Toronto, OH

Clinton (Clint) Whaley Salem, OH
Doris Russell Huntsville, AL