WHITE-UK-L Archives

Archiver > WHITE-UK > 2003-06 > 1056514362

From: Wayne Nelson <>
Subject: WHITE (1880's > 1920's in Faversham, Conyer, Sittingbourne & London)
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:12:42 -0600

Hello all-

I have been researching my wife's WHITE family for some time and have a
reasonable record of the family at St Peters (thanet), Kent, from 15?? to
the 1807 death of Culmer WHITE. (The family were shipbuilders and landowners
at Broadstairs, Thanet. While I would be interested in comparing notes about
that era in the WHITE family, I am presently attacking some brick walls in
the next two generations of the family.)
William Sandwell WHITE (youngest son of Culmer WHITE) b. 23 Aug 1811,
Broadstairs, Kent. m. Mary Ann Pettman, 26 Mar 1834 Broadstairs, St. Peters
(thanet) and they moved to Cowes, IOW where his uncle had set up White
Shipyard. William Sandwell WHITE, spent his entire working life in shipyard
management at Cowes, but died 10 Feb 1891 at Long Ditton, Surrey (perhaps at
the home of his only daughter, Teresa ??)

Sons of William Sandwell WHITE:
William Culmer WHITE, b. Cowes, IOW 14 Dec 1836, d. 1 Nov 1861
Thomas John WHITE, b. Cowes, IOW, 1838, d. 1838
Culmer WHITE, b. Cowes, IOW 8 Nov 1842 m. Jane F. ??
Frederick Harding WHITE, b. July 1845, d. 13 Mar 1890

AND my particlar interest -

Alfred WHITE, b. 27 Jul 1840, Cowes, IOW (noted Thames Barge builder)
m.(1) c. 1860 Susan MARCONI b. ?? d. 28 Mar 1875
Alfred Marconi WHITE, b 1863(Lambeth,Surrey),d. 1916,Whitstable,Kent
William Frederick WHITE,b.1865,Long Ditton, Surrey, d.1934 Leigh on Sea
Archibald WHITE,b. 1870 Esher, Surrey, d. 1913 Auckland, NZ
Susan Kate WHITE, b. 1875, Blackwall. Middlesex, d. Brighton c1966
m.(2) 1875 Jane BOWMAN,(Greenwich, Kent) d. 1888
Thomas Mills WHITE, b. 1877
Teresa J. WHITE, b. 1878, d. 1881
Samuel Septimus WHITE, b. 1880, d. c 1904
Ernest Edward WHITE, b. 1881, d. c1970
James Godfrey WHITE
Stanley WHITE
Gordon Lake WHITE
m.(3) Kate ??? (before the 1891 census. She may have been the mother of
Stanley WHITE and Gordon Lake WHITE. No information was available about
her until the 2001 census, and that information led back to the 1891
census entry which lists Gordon Lake WHITE as too old to have been a
product of marriage 2.)
The cues to this WHITE family group is the recurring given name "Culmer"
and Thames Barges - most of the men were shipwrights.
Sorry to take up so much space, but I have found that many reference
points are needed to sort out my WHITE's from that incredible array of UK
WHITE families with their all-to-common given names. Happy hunting to all.

Wayne Nelson
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Canada

This thread: