WHITLOW-L Archives

Archiver > WHITLOW > 2009-07 > 1248293210

From: Linda Morris <>
Subject: Re: [WHITLOW] WHITLOW Digest, Vol 3, Issue 1
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:06:50 -0700 (PDT)

I intended to add one more piece of info that makes me think this is the right family.  On the 1850 census C. L. Whitlow's family is listed [definitely my ggg grandparents] with E. F. Whitlow, age 18, as a laborer. I figure it must have been Eyre (or Ezra) Forrest.  T. J. Fouts, who is Maria's brother, was also listed as a laborer.

I also found Coleman H. Whitlow m. Henrietta, with several children, three of whom are named Granville, Amanda and Forrest.  Too much of a coincidence in my mind.

Later, Forrrest Whitlow, Henderson's son, married Angeline Raborn. Maria Theresa married Sampson Raborn after Criswell died.  Again, far too many "coincidences" and most of them are from Hardin Co., TN at one time; so I'm thinking it has to be the same family.

I do wish I could see some kind of document that proves it.

* * * * * * * *
Only a genealogist regards a step backwards as progress.

--- On Wed, 7/22/09, <> wrote:

From: <>
Subject: WHITLOW Digest, Vol 3, Issue 1
Date: Wednesday, July 22, 2009, 2:02 AM

Today's Topics:

1. test (David Cagle)
   2. Hardin Co., TN Whitlows (David Cagle)
   3. Re: Hardin Co., TN Whitlows (David Cagle)
   4. Re: Hardin Co., TN Whitlows ()
   5. Re: Hardin Co., TN Whitlows (David Cagle)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:08:19 -0500
From: "David Cagle" <>
Subject: [WHITLOW] test
Message-ID: <000801ca0a58$23877480$>
Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="iso-8859-1"

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:23:40 -0500
From: "David Cagle" <>
Subject: [WHITLOW] Hardin Co., TN Whitlows
Message-ID: <001701ca0a5a$4818ce00$>
Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="iso-8859-1"

I have seen no activity on this list for a year.  Am I the only one still subscribed?  I am still researching the family of Henderson Whitlow, born in Charlotte Co., VA ca 1781.  When his father, Darby Whitlow, died in 1789, Henderson was bound to Hillary Moseley.  Henderson is on the 1802 Tax List of Charlotte Co., VA.  In 1810, Henderson appears on the census of Laurens Co., VA.  He remained there until ca 1818 when he moved to Hardin County TN and is enumerated on the 1820 census for that county.  He was probably married twice and had children, Criswell, Milton, Paskell, Granville, Coleman, Forest, Permelia, Amanda Martha and last Sarah who was born in 1841.  Sarah was the daughter of the 2nd wife Sarah "Sally."  I don't know the name of the first wife.  Anyone have any new information?
Thanks,
David

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:11:15 -0500
From: "David Cagle" <>
Subject: Re: [WHITLOW] Hardin Co., TN Whitlows
Message-ID: <000501ca0a69$4fdfeec0$>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
    reply-type=original

Should be Laurens Co., SC

From: "David Cagle" <>
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:23 PM
Subject: [WHITLOW] Hardin Co., TN Whitlows

>I have seen no activity on this list for a year.  Am I the only one still
>subscribed?  I am still researching the family of Henderson Whitlow, born
>in Charlotte Co., VA ca 1781.  When his father, Darby Whitlow, died in
>1789, Henderson was bound to Hillary Moseley.  Henderson is on the 1802 Tax
>List of Charlotte Co., VA.  In 1810, Henderson appears on the census of
>Laurens Co., VA.  He remained there until ca 1818 when he moved to Hardin
>County TN and is enumerated on the 1820 census for that county.  He was
>probably married twice and had children, Criswell, Milton, Paskell,
>Granville, Coleman, Forest, Permelia, Amanda Martha and last Sarah who was
>born in 1841.  Sarah was the daughter of the 2nd wife Sarah "Sally."  I
>don't know the name of the first wife.  Anyone have any new information?
> Thanks,
> David
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:57:55 -0400
From:
Subject: Re: [WHITLOW] Hardin Co., TN Whitlows
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

My Whitlow family of interest is that of Henry Whitlow? b.Apr 12 1792 in Kentucky, and who died in Madison Co. Tn in 1839. He was married in 1819 to Lucy McHaney in Wilson Co. Tn . I believe him to be the son of Henry and Judith Parker Whitlow, but no proof, except for the recurrance of the daughter Phariby/Pharibe within these families. The elder Henry was b. 1760 in Halifax Co Va. a
nd died in Rowan Co. NC in 1820. Are you connected in any way to these?

Karen

From: David Cagle <>
Sent: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 6:23 pm
Subject: [WHITLOW] Hardin Co., TN Whitlows

I have seen no activity on this list for a year.  Am I the only one still
subscribed?  I am still researching the family of Henderson Whitlow, born in
Charlotte Co., VA ca 1781.  When his father, Darby Whitlow, died in 1789,
Henderson was bound to Hillary Moseley.  Henderson is on the 1802 Tax List of
He remained there until ca 1818 when he moved to Hardin County TN and is
enumerated on the 1820 census for that county.  He was probably married twice
and had children, Criswell, Milton, Paskell, Granville, Coleman, Forest,
Permelia, Amanda Martha and last Sarah who was born in 1841.  Sarah was the
daughter of the 2nd wife Sarah "Sally."  I don't know the name of the first
wife.  Anyone have any new information?
Thanks,
David

-------------------------------
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of
the message

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:37:34 -0500
From: "David Cagle" <>
Subject: Re: [WHITLOW] Hardin Co., TN Whitlows
Message-ID: <000701ca0a75$5f038cc0$>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
    reply-type=original

Karen,
I am sure we have a common ancestor.  I have shown my line below.   I note
that Hardin Co., TN and Madison Co. are only about 50 miles apart, however,
I have never know of any connection to your TN Whitlows.
David

My line is traced to William Whitlow who died an left a will in Henrico Co.,
VA in 1726.  I suspect that your line comes from this William also.  His
children were:
William (2)
Hays
John
James
Jane
Martha
Another daughter who married a Watkins

William Whitlow (2) also left a will, 1768.
William (3)
Henry (could this be your Henry Whitlow?)
John
Nathan
Jane
Richard
Anne

Will of William Whitlow (3) 1777
John
Nathan
William
Darby (this is my line moved from Henrico to Granville Co., NC 1778, then in
1782 to Charlotte Co., VA, died 1789)
Sarah
Anne

Through various documents, I have determined that the children of Darby
were:
Coleman
Francis
Henderson Whitlow, 1781-1841, Charlotte Co., VA 1802, Laurens Co., SC 1810,
to Hardin Co., TN 1820. (my line)
Martin
Polly
Frankey
Betsy

From: <>
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: [WHITLOW] Hardin Co., TN Whitlows

> My Whitlow family of interest is that of Henry Whitlow? b.Apr 12 1792 in
> Kentucky, and who died in Madison Co. Tn in 1839. He was married in 1819
> to Lucy McHaney in Wilson Co. Tn . I believe him to be the son of Henry
> and Judith Parker Whitlow, but no proof, except for the recurrance of the
> daughter Phariby/Pharibe within these families. The elder Henry was b.
> 1760 in Halifax Co Va. a
> nd died in Rowan Co. NC in 1820. Are you connected in any way to these?
> Karen
> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Cagle <>
> Sent: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 6:23 pm
> Subject: [WHITLOW] Hardin Co., TN Whitlows
> I have seen no activity on this list for a year.  Am I the only one still
> subscribed?  I am still researching the family of Henderson Whitlow, born
> in
> Charlotte Co., VA ca 1781.  When his father, Darby Whitlow, died in 1789,
> Henderson was bound to Hillary Moseley.  Henderson is on the 1802 Tax List
> of
> Charlotte Co., VA.  In 1810, Henderson appears on the census of Laurens
> Co., VA.
> He remained there until ca 1818 when he moved to Hardin County TN and is
> enumerated on the 1820 census for that county.  He was probably married
> twice
> and had children, Criswell, Milton, Paskell, Granville, Coleman, Forest,
> Permelia, Amanda Martha and last Sarah who was born in 1841.  Sarah was
> the
> daughter of the 2nd wife Sarah "Sally."  I don't know the name of the
> wife.  Anyone have any new information?
> Thanks,
> David
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body
> of
> the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message

------------------------------

To contact the WHITLOW list administrator, send an email to

To post a message to the WHITLOW mailing list, send an email to .

__________________________________________________________
with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body of the
email with no additional text.

End of WHITLOW Digest, Vol 3, Issue 1