WHITNEY-L Archives

Archiver > WHITNEY > 1997-03 > 0858458065

From: <>
Subject: Barbara Black's Whitney Line
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 15:34:25 -0500 (EST)

I am slow in sending this. The first part is speculation built from family
oral history.
1 John and Elinore
2. Deacon Joshua Whitney b. 1635 m. Abigail Tarbell
3. William b. 1678 m. Lydia Perkam
4. Joshua b. 1714
5. Benjamin b. 1755 m. Amy Blogett
6. Aaron b. 1798 in NY (War of 1812) m. Sarah Bennett of Mina, NY
(2nd wife Electa Leach)
End of speculation###### I have proof of the rest of this.
7. Daniel R. Whitney b. 1822 m. Isaphena Dow
8. Rosina Whitney b. 1851 m. John Newton Crowder
9. John Hershel Crowder b. 1887 m Elsie May Jenkins
10. Barbara Rose Crowder b. 1922 m. Estel Eugene Black
(Gene) b. 1921
11. Estel Eugene Black Jr. (Gene) b. 1948-d. 1993.
m. Leslie Stanton.

My most wanted is the True father of DANIEL R. WHITNEY. On the Michigan
1850 census DANIEL R. WHITNEY (age 27) and Isaphena lived near an ISRAEL
WHITNEY (age 30) wife Melissa.
On the marriage record of DANIEL R. WHITNEY and ISAPHENA DOW IN 1847 in
Jackson, Michigan the witness was an ISRAEL WHITNEY.
My grandmother Rosina was b. 1851 in Jackson.
Daniel R. Whitney's death certificate (age 90) had no pertinent
information.

This elusive Unknown Professor Whitney (according to family record) went to
Michigan to establish schools in Battle Creek and Sandusky. We thought they
were both in Michigan. Since Sandusky Ohio is closer to Battle Creek and
Daniel was born in Ohio , I have come to the conclusion that perhaps the
father was connected with the schools in Sandusky, Ohio.

A researcher in Battle Creek Michigan, sent me an article about Norman S.
Whitney. with a brother -Daniel R. Whitney. His parents were Norman K.
Whitney and Mary Pratt (both natives of New England).. (Our family say the
mother was a Bennett)
The only other place we have seen the Daniel R. was in Wi. where the Whitney
had a nephew Daniel R. ran a branch of his furniture store.
Neither of these fits well-could be possibilities and I will follow up on
them.
DANIEL R. WHITNEY's parents names are my MOST WANTED information.
Barbara Crowder Black.

This thread: