WIBLE-L Archives

Archiver > WIBLE > 2004-12 > 1103168201

Subject: Re: Cope - Spackman
Date: 15 Dec 2004 20:36:41 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/UNWBAEB/79.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

Ultimately, I am trying to nail down what role Company A of the 1st Pennsylvania Reserves (Co. A was known as The Brandywine Guards and they were recruited almost entirely in West Chester) played at the Battle of Gettysburg. I became interested Great Grandfather because he seemed a likely candidate to have left some record of what Company A did during the battle. I also became interested because his wifes name was Isabella Spackman. Through my research I discovered that a Thomas C. Spackman who also served with Company A was killed on July 2nd 1863. I suspect that Thomas Spackman is the brother of Isabella but I have not been able to confirm that is the case. Thomas Spackman was returned to West Chester and buried in Oaklands Friends Cemetary. I know that Emmor Cope was ordered by General Warren to return to Gettysburg after the battle to make a detailed map of the battlefield and I am trying to find out if perhaps he escorted the body of Thomas home. I'm not sure how!
I can find that out, I was hoping there were old family letters or something floating around that might explain what Emmor Cope was doing in the weeks after the battle. I talked to the archivists at Gettysburg NMP and they explained that while they have many of Emmor Cope's official papers they have very little in the way of personal correspondence that details the role he played during the battle. Unfortunately, I have been able to find very little about the battle of Gettysburg in the local historical society from the veterans of Company A. I'm not sure if you know about this or not but most of what I know about your Great Grandfather comes from an article that was written by Thomas L. Schaefer titled "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around: E.B. Cope and the Gettysburg National Military Park". It was given to me by one of the park rangers the last time I visited, it's in a book called "Unsung Heroes of Gettysburg: Programs of the Fifth Annual Gettysburg Seminar" Fro!
m that article I discovered that I live only a few miles from the Cope
family home and mill on the banks of the Brandywine River. Anyway, all that aside, if you happen to know of the existence of any of Emmor Cope's personal correspondence from the war or if you have a picture of him in his uniform (The only pictures I have seen are of him as an older man) I would be very interested in seeing or learning about there contents. Any information you can provide would be extremely helpful.

Thank You,
Mark Campi

This thread: