WICALUME-L Archives

Archiver > WICALUME > 2000-01 > 0949025756

From: <>
Subject: Great book for Calumet County research
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:15:56 EST

I went to Madison last weekend to do research at the historical society and,
on a whim, stopped in at the society's museum bookstore. I found ONE copy of
a book called Memories of the First Years of the Settlement of New Holstein,
by Rudolph Puchner. This book was apparently originally published in 1894 in
German, and was recently translated and published.

What a find! This book tells in story form how the original settlers of New
Holstein decided to leave their homes in Schleswig-Holstein, what their
voyage was like (right down to who got seasick on the way over and who
didn't!), what they thought when they arrived, how they made their way from
New York to Sheboygan to Calumet to the virgin forest that is now New
Holstein. It tells about how they learned to milk cows, who build a nicer
house than everyone else, what they ate (or didn't eat) their first winter in
that remote woods...just an amazing book. It's given me a new appreciation
for the sacrifices my ancestors made in coming here (and 150 years later I'm
typing this as the State of the Union address begins...I'm about to hum the
national anthem or something... :-))

Anyway, I have no connection to the author or publisher, but just I'd let you
all know...there are a few people in particular who are mentioned at length
in the book. They are:

Johann ALBERS
Otto ARENS
Johann ARPS
Dr. Charles BOCK
Ernst BRUCKMANN
Peter DE ROI
Claus DUCKOR
Peter EITLER
Claus GREVE
Simon GREVE
Wilhelm B. GRIEM
Charles GRUNIG
Ferdinand HACHEZ
Andreas F. HANSEN
J. J. IBS
H. P. JENSEN
Johann JESS
J. O. KROHNKE
Adolph MOLLER
Claus OBERMEIER
Wilhelm OBERMEIER
Claus OESAU
Johann OHLROGGE
August PAULSEN
Wilhelm PAULSEN
C. H. M. PETERSEN
Johann PFEIFFER
Rudolph PUCHNER
Peter ROTHFOCK
H. Joachim SCHILDHAUER
Jacob SCHMIDT
Detlaf SCHNACK
Jacob SEVERIN
Claus TAMS
Gisbert TIMM
Ernst VEERS
Heinrich VOLQUARTS
Nicolaus WITT

If anyone is working on one of these lines and would like a lookup, please
let me know (Debie, you can add me to the lookups page as well if you like).

Also, I've finally broken down and become a Rootsweb donor, which means I get
to start two surname mailing lists; one of the two I've chosen is HOLTHUSEN,
a line which has long roots in Calumet county. The address to subscribe is
.

Kerry Sandberg
Milwaukee, WI
Researching HOLTHUSEN, BOSMA, DISHAW, JOCHMANN, REICHWALDT, GREVE, and
MEGGERS in Calumet County

This thread: