WICALUME-L Archives

Archiver > WICALUME > 2001-03 > 0983658304

Subject: Krohnke/Kroehnke Family of New Holstein
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 22:25:04 +0000

Hello!

I am new to the list and I thought I would post my
information.

I am researching the KROHNKE (umlaut over the "o")family
that lived in New Holstein from 1848.

My great-great-grandfather is Johann Oelerich KROHNKE,
who was born 2 Sep 1810 in Marne, Schleswig-Holstein,
and died 4 Nov 1897 in New Holstein. He is buried at
the New Holstein Cemetery.

His first wife was Margaretha ROEGENER, born 24 Feb
1807, and died 11 Nov 1849 in New Holstein. They were
married in Schleswig-Holstein, and they came with their
four children to New Holstein in 1848.

His second wife was Margaretha SCHLICHTING, born 10 Mar
1826 in Holstein, Germany, and died 27 Apr 1896 in New
Holstein. She had four children with Johann. One of
which is my great-grandmother, Bertha KROEHNKE POPPERT.

I am having difficulty in finding information on the
family. Is there anyone researching this family or any
of the related families: POPPERT, HESSE, FREES, LUEHR,
ROLFS and ARENS.

I have a copy of the book by Rudolph Puchner "Memories
of the First Years of the Settlement of New Holstein."
It is most interesting reading. Does anyone know of any
other books that pertain to Calumet County?

Can anyone please tell me what kind of records the New
Holstein Historical Society has? Would it be beneficial
for me to contact them?

I have four of Johann Oelerich KROHNKE's diaries, in
which he made daily entries between the years 1851 and
1895. I understand that the Historical Society has the
one beginning in 1848.

I also have letters that he wrote to his daughter
Bertha. I have been in contact with Mr. William Thiel,
who is quite interested in the diaries and letters. He
will be getting them from me to read and translate for
his book that he is writing.

I look forward to hearing from the listers.

Janice Hackbarth
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

This thread: