WIDENER-L Archives

Archiver > WIDENER > 2001-01 > 0980627976

From: Lee Widner <>
Subject: Re: W_D_N_R's & "Oley Valley Heritage"
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:39:36 +0000

Chuck and List

"Oley Valley Heritage: The Colonial Years 1700-1775" is a book written
by Philip E Pendelton and published in 1994 at the request of the Oley
Valley Heritage Association. It's 8 1/2 by 11 with about 232 pages. It
has the broad section headings of the Economy, Architectural Landscape,
Soul, and Community along with 10 Appendices with maps.

In the Index we find the following Weidners:

Weidner, Adam 59-60, 178
Jerg Adam 49, 50, 59-60, 66, 178, 195, 201
Johannes 178
Peter 178
Lazarus 109, 199, 205
Tychicus 147, 199, 205

Page 49

It talks about...

"As immigration of poor Irishmen and Germans rose in the 1740's,
the taking of indentured servants began to be a more readily
available option for people seeking laborers. But this was an
investment that only those already wealthy, or those whose need
for workers was imperative, could afford. A list of immigrant
servants whose indentures were recorded Philadelphia officials
[a legally required process] from 1745-1746 named just five Oley
Valley men as purchasers of eleven servants' terms.
Servant
indentures were freely transferable; the initial holder was the
merchant or ship's captain to whom the servant owed the fee for
his passage across the Atlantic. At Warfside this business per-
son marked the terms of the servants, who were inspected on
shipboard by the perspective purchasers."

The five Oley purchasers were:

Conrad Reiff farmer 1
Johannes Lesher ironmaster 5
William Bird ironmaster 3
Johannes Yoder miller 1
Jerg Adam Weidner tilemaker 1

The terms were from 4-5 years. All were Irish with the exception
of the one for Weidner. He was Jacob Tigle, who was perhaps an
experienced German Kiln tender.

It was noted that fellow Irishman Bird had entered Pennsylvania
iron industry by the same route some twenty years earlier.

Page 50

"In 1758, tile maker Jerg Adam Weidner gave notice that his tile-
maker servant Johannes Heinrich Unckelbach had taken leave of his
own accord. Weidner, seen as new master to immigrant Jacob Tigle
in 1746, had a frustrating time getting and keeping help. He put
advertisements in the Berichte in 1743, 1749, 1750 and 1752 seek-
ing tile-and-brickmakers and limeburners to work at his kiln. In
1767 he was listed as master of two slaves, but no white servants.
It was difficult for blacks to 'disappear' into the Pennsylvania
countryside."

Page 59-60

"Regardless of the particular sort of stone construction employed,
limestone was generally available, especially in the upper valley,
to be burned in order to procure lime which was used to make
mortar. Master tile-and-brickmaker Jerg Adam Weidner advertised
in the Pennsylvania Berichte, seeking to employ limeburners in
1750 and 1752.

"Weidner's operation was making bricks by 1749, at which date he
announced that he was the proprietor of both "a tileworks and a
kiln in good running order" [Pennsylvania Berichte, Nov 1, 1749]
Jerg Adam's father Adam Weidner had begun making tiles, and
possibly bricks as well, at his homestead in northwestern Oley
Township around 1727. Jerg Adam took over the kiln business
around 1740, and soon moved the operation to a property just out-
side the northwestern corner of Amity [in present-day Earl Town-
ship] that he purchased in 1741, In notices published in 1752 and
1760, Jerg Adam Weidner explicitly sought to employ brickmakers
as well as tilemakers...."

Page 66

Remarked that today's traveler might notice that the surviving
clay tile roofs are restricted to small buildings and that at
some point the local supply of tiles became finite..."probably
around the passing of Oley Valley tilemaker Jerg Adam Weidner in
1781...."

Page 109

"At some point in the eighteenth century, a small Mennonite con-
gregation was established in the valley. The only definitely
member was Lazarus Weidner, who in 1780 was a preacher in this
group."

Page 147

"Witnesses against Lesher were his fellow substantial Oley
residents Jacob Kauffmann, Caspar Griesemer, Tychicus Weidner,
and Samuel Lee. Whatever the facts and contributing circum-
stances in the case [they being unavailable for the modern
reader], Lesher was acquitted."

Page 178

Appendix 7

KNOWN HEADS OF HOUSEHOLDS AND SINGLE FREEMAN RESIDING IN OLEY
VALLEY 1701-1741

* Adam Weidner 1727 Oley
* Jerg [George] Adam Weidner 1735 Pike, Earl
Johannes Weidner 1738
* Peter Weidner before 1734 Pike

Page 195 Appendix 9

Landowners of Amity Township, Philadelphia County, and adjacent
Area in 1750

Jerg [George] Adam Weidner

Of interest...near neighbors: Johan Heinrich Gouker[Cowger]
Heinrich Van Reed
Daniel Womeldorf
John Potts
Daniel Ludwig
Abijah Sands
John Sands
Johan Theodrick Greiner

Page 199 Appendix 9

Landowners of Oley Township, Philadelphia County in 1750

Tychicus Weidner
Lazarus Weidner

Of interest...near neighbors: Johannes Hoch [High]
Wilhelm Pott
Peter Lobach
Johannes Keim
Anthony Lee
Johannes Yoder

Page 201 Appendix 9

Landowners of Amity Township, Berks County and adjacent area
in 1775

Jerg [George] Adam Weidner [West District Township]

Of interest...near neighbors: Henry Van Reed
Johannes Moetzer
Michael Ludwig, Jr
Estate of Abija Sands
Johannes Grinner
Estate of John Sands

Page 205 Appendix 9

Landowners of Oley Township, Berks County and adjacent area
in 1775

Lazarus Weidner
Tychicus Weidner

Of interest...near neighbors: Abraham Hoch
Johannes Pott
Johannes Joder [Yoder]
Peter Lobach
Jerg Keim
John Lee

Although not cited in the index, I find a survey map of Oley County
for 1740 [Appendix 8] with:

Adam Weidner

near by: John Yoder
Anthony Lee
Caspar Wister
Arnold Huffnail
Samuel Guldin, Jr

I hope this is helpful.

Regards
Lee
"C. B. Weidner" wrote:

> Lee
> What is the "Oley Valley Heritage"? I am interested as Daniel might have
> come from that group. Daniel's son was Lazarus and his daughter Catharine
> like the parents of the the Daniel from Oley.
>
> Chuck Weidner

This thread: