WIKI-GENPAGES-L Archives

Archiver > WIKI-GENPAGES > 2011-08 > 1312455145

From: "Bruce Whealton" <>
Subject: Re: [WIKI-GENPAGES] Compiling a list of Genealogy Wikis
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 06:52:25 -0400

Andrew,
I wanted to announce a Wiki that I setup using Semantic MediaWiki. I
noted what you had written here:
> 3) Smaller genie sites, favored sites where there is just stuff going
> on, and have particular and notable components
And thought that my genealogy site is particularly related to that. Similar
to Familypedia.wikia.org my wiki uses MediaWiki and the Semantic MediaWiki
Bundle. The site is http://whealton.info/w/
Using Semantic Forms a user can enter information by filling out a form
on the website. There is a link up top for "Enter New Person or Edit
Existing Person." What makes this interesting so far is that this uses
several Ontologies or Vocabularies that were developed specifically for the
Semantic Web. These vocabularies Extend the popular FOAF vocabulary that
people use to create "FOAF Profiles." One vocabulary used is "RELATIONSHIP:
A vocabulary for describing relationships between people" and another is
"BIO: A vocabulary for biographical information." One can read more about
Bio here: http://vocab.org/bio/0.1/.html
Rel: http://vocab.org/relationship/.html
And FOAF: http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/
Behind the scenes the fields in the form correspond to properties in
these vocabularies. I am working on publishing the data as a RDF data dump
so that the data can be contributed to the Semantic Web and the Web of
Linked Data. The goal of the Semantic Web is to create a global graph or
global, web-wide database. Using a general scheme and common vocabularies,
people anywhere in the world will be able to take advantage of this
technology. That is to say that computers and computer software anywhere in
the world will be able to understand what is contained in the data. This
contrasts with earlier schemes for storing and sharing data where the schema
for how the data was stored and described was not open, known or exposed as
it were.
I'd be glad to share more information.
Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce Whealton, Owner Future Wave Designs
FOAF: http://whealton.info/BruceWhealtonJr/foaf.rdf
Vcard: http://whealton.info/BruceWhealtonJr/brucewhealtonvcard.html
Web Design and Development http://FutureWaveDesigns.com
http://futurewavedesigns.com/wordpress/