WILLETT-L Archives

Archiver > WILLETT > 2011-08 > 1314506322

From: Richard Dalton <>
Subject: [WILLETT-L] Benjamin & Lydia Willett family Newbury Essex Co Mass
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 21:38:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Willett family

A little more than ten years ago
Jim Willett connected me to my great grandfather John Willett's parents
Benjamin Willett and Hannah Unknown. At our annual family reunion last month I
asked my mom, aunt, and uncles again what they remember from their dad about
the Willett family. They all replied that they were told that we descend from
the first English Mayor of New York Thomas Willett. I have not found any
connection to that family. In the past I posted updates of Benjamin and
Hannah's descendants.
I am now wondering if I have found
Benjamin Willett's parents? Any help is greatly appreciated.
In searching records at Ancestry.com I came
across an application for Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant
application files 1800-1900
Archive Application # M804 Archive Roll
Number 2584
Lydia Woodwell applied due to her former
husband Benjamin Willet's service in the Revolutionary War. Lydia married
after Benjamin deceased to Jacob Woodwell who was deceased sometime before she
made this application on April 10, 1837.
The details recorded on several pages are
that Benjamin Willet and Lydia Willet [Willet is also her surname] married by
Rev Dr John Tucker Sep 10, 1778 in Newbury, Essex Co Massachusetts. I found other documents on
the internet stating the same. In the application Lydia
states that Benjamin died 29 June 1801 Newbury, Essex Co Mass.

The application lists all of their eight
children at the time of the application in 1837 whether living or deceased.

Mary Willet deceased would be 57 born about
1780

Hannah Willet also deceased would be 55
born about 1782

Joseph Willet was 52 born about 1785

Benjamin Willet was 49 born about 1788
[which is the same year as my Benjamin Willet[t] also born in Mass. Is this the same Benjamin Willett?]

Sarah Willet living in Newbury, Essex Co
Mass was 47 born about 1790

Martha deceased would be 45 born about 1792

Elizabethdeceased would be 42 born about 1795

John deceased would be 39 born about 1798

Joseph and Benjamin were living in the same
place. I can't decipher the writing on the application. It might read Western
Country or County? If you'd like a copy I can email it to you as a jpeg
document.

I have run across family trees that could be this family.

Benjamin Willet born about 1751 died 1801
and Lydia Willet born 1759 are related:
Benjamin is listed as descending from:
Benjamin Willet 1712-1760 and Martha Carr
Joseph Willet born 1674 Newbury Essex Mass
and Elizabeth Jackman born 1689
Francis [Thomas] Willet born 1648 Newbury
Essex Mass and Martha Silver born 1650 Newbury, Essex Mass

Lydia Willett is listed as descending from:
Joseph Willett 1707 - 1781 Newbury Essex
Mass [brother of Benjamin Willett 1712-1760] and Mary Nichols
Joseph Willet born 1674 Newbury Essex Mass
and Elizabeth Jackman born 1689
Francis [Thomas] Willet born 1648 Newbury
Essex Mass and Martha Silver born 1650 Newbury, Essex Mass

Many thanks to Jim Willett for all the work
he has done to help me and so many of us.
I did ask my uncles and one of them said
yes that he would do the DNA test for our Willett line, so I'm looking into
finding out about that so I can send him the information.

Thanks to any for clarifications,
corrections, connections!

Cheers

Richard L Dalton
RenoNevada USA, previously in San Francisco, from Los Angeles

Richard L Dalton
2living Willett m living Dalton [divorced in 1967]
3Ward Amory Willett m Maurine Hannum
[direct descendant of William Hannum m Honor Capen both immigrants from Dorset
England via the ship the Mary & John in May 1630 to Dorset, Massachusetts.
they married after arriving in the New World]
4Marshall John Willett m Clyde Edith Pask
[Pask's from England mid 1800's to Illinois, her mother's family the Turnbull's
and several other related families left Scotland in the early 1830's and
settled in Elmira Stark Co Illinois]

5 John Willett [wounded 2x's during Civil
War Co A 112th Infantry Illinois] m Adeline Showers
6 Benjamin Willett born Dec 1788 Mass died
1854 Kosciusko Co Indiana and Hannah Unknown

7 Benjamin Willet and Lydia Willet???

This thread: