WILLIAMS-L Archives

Archiver > WILLIAMS > 1997-04 > 0861024500

From: La Doris Doughty Weber <>
Subject: WILLIAMS of VA., Lunenburg/Charlotte Co.
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:28:20 -0500

ROBERT WILLIAMS, planter, of Lunenburg Co. VA

Robert WILLIAMS b. c1694 [where?]; d. 1769 Charlotte Va.
Seek proof that his wife was Margery MARTIN. Was her father
Abraham Martin? Source states Margery born Scotland. Is
this true?

Who were the parents of Robert WILLIAMS? Source states
"Robert said his father was from Wales and his mother from
the East Indies."

Robert and Margery [Martin] WILLIAMS supposedly had just
one child together...son, Thomas WILLIAMS. Is this True?

Robert may have been married three times:
1. Margery MARTIN, mother of Thomas, Married Robert
about 1730 [best guess], perhaps Maryland? She was perhaps dead
by 1749, as it is believed that Robert married wife #2 c1749.

2. "Simoramos", believed to have been Robert's second wife
wife from abt 3 October 1749 to abt August 1761. If so, she may
have been mother of the following children who received land either
by gift or purchase from Robert Williams "of Cornwall Parish in Lunenburg,
planter" &c. [Deed Book 8, pp31-32-33-39]. 7 Dec 1762.
a. Susannah WILLIAMS, whom he calls "my daughter"
b. Letty WILLIAMS, whom he calls "my daughter"
c. Betty WILLIAMS, called "my daughter"
d. John WILLIAMS of Lunenburg....396 acs...for 60 lbs.
Was John a son?
Note: he also sold land to Thomas, the eldest son, same
date......525 acres for 5 lbs.

Was "Simoramos" Indian? We are unsure of the
correct spelling of the name "Simoramos".

"Simoramos", evidently dead by 1761 as Robert married
his third wife, Anne Redmond, in January, 1762.

3. Anne REDMAN/REDMOND, dau of William and sister of
Thomas, in Lunenburg Co. married Robert WILLIAMS [the elder]
on 25 Jan 1762. It seems evident that he was disposing of his land
to his children from his previous marriages in the deeds written
and recorded in Lunenburg Co. DB 8, 7 Dec 1762 [see above].

It is not apparent whether Robert had children with his third
wife, Anne REDMAN, who as Anne LOGGINS, relinquished her
dower right "in and to the land of her deceased husband, Robert
WILLIAMS......." [Charlotte Co. Deed Book 3, p146...Sep 12, 1772].

Robert's third wife, Anne, remarried to James LOGGINS
of Charlotte Co. Va.; he died c 2 July 1798. WB 2;131-b. At least
five LOGGINS children named in will; were they children of Anne [Redmond]
WILLIAMS LOGGINS?
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

THOMAS WILLIAMS, Captain [RW]
of Charlotte Co Va
Son of Robert the Elder of Lunenburg

Thomas WILLIAMS, only child of Robert and Margery
[MARTIN] WILLIAMS, was born about 1733 [where?] [Maryland
or Virginia?] -- d. 1803 Charlotte Co. Va.

Frances [w/o Thomas] d. 1806, Charlotte Co. Va. Who were
her parents and siblings. Was she d/o Edward NUGENT said to
have been born 1726 in Ireland; d. 1790 Fauquier Co. Va. and his
wife Elizabeth CONWAY (c1725-aft 1795 in Va)? Have been
unable to prove nor disprove the NUGENT theory.

Thomas WILLIAMS and Frances, his wife, are my ancestors
through their son Mastin WILLIAMS and his wife Amy COLLINS,
daughter of Richard COLLINS [s/o Thomas of Sptsv. Va] and his
wife, Mary MADISON [d/o Roger].

If you are interested in these families, I would welcome the
opportunity to exchange information with you. Although I do
have some primary documentation, much is secondary and I
am seeking additional documentation.

Please respond to my private e-mail and not to the list.

Mega-Thanks!

LaDoris Doughty Weber

This thread: