WILLIAMS-L Archives

Archiver > WILLIAMS > 2005-05 > 1117244183

From: "Suzanne Whitmore" <>
Subject: Re: WILLIAMS-D Digest V05 #97
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 21:36:23 -0400

Hi, everyone. My name is Suzanne and I live in MD, between Baltimore and
Washington, DC. I was born in Baltimore and have lived here all my life. I
work in DC for a national consumer rights organization where I handle
planned gifts and estate planning. Before this job, I worked as a reporter
on several newspapers and I practiced law.
I've been married for almost 34 years and we have three daughters who are
25, 23 and 22. My middle daughter gave us our first grandchild, a little
boy, on 4/24/05. Only my youngest still lives at home, although my
grandson, son-in-law and middle daughter may be back for a time.

I love to travel and can't wait until my husband and I can do more of it.
We've been to Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Bermuda, Costa Rica,
Ireland (both the Republic and Northern Ireland), Scotland (passing
through), England, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Austria, France, Iceland,
Belgium and Luxembourg. We hope to go to Scotland and really see something
on our next trip. I also love to read and play the Irish fiddle (very
badly). I got interested in the Williams genealogy about five years ago. I
met a cousin for the first time last year on-line - he's been researching
our Williams family for over 20 years, so we've pooled what little
information we've gathered.

Our Williams family has been in NC since the early 1700s, we think. Family
oral history was that the Williams were Scots-Irish. Our g-grandfather,
ROBERT VANCE WILLIAMS, was born 3/15/1823 in Sampson Co., NC and died in
Fairview (Asheville), Buncombe Co., NC on 12/12/1914. He was married to
RACHEL WEST (her 2nd marriage) on 4/5/1865 in Buncombe Co. where they raised
WILEY, ROBERT, LILLIE, THOMAS, KATE, BESSIE, JEFF, RACHEL and LAURA
WILLIAMS. RACHEL WEST had been married previously to FRANK BALLEW with whom
she had JIM, MOLLIE and WILLIAM BALLEW.

We think that THOMAS WILLIAMS and PATIENCE McFARLAND of Sampson Co., NC were
the parents of Robert Williams. Robert had a sister, TOMSIL WILLIAMS, who
married a HARDY SALES and lived and died in Buncombe Co., NC. After the
death of Thomas Williams, Patience McFarland Williams married THOMAS H. HARE
(HAIR) of Sampson Co. They moved to Buncombe Co., NC and raised six
children.

ROBERT WILLIAMS was a member of Company F, 14th Regiment NC of the
Confederate Army, popularly known as Zeb Vance's Rough and Ready Guards. He
was severely wounded at Chancellorsville on 5/3/1863 and walked with a limp
for the rest of his life.

We would love to find the names of the parents of Thomas Williams and
Patience McFarland. We're researching WILLIAMS, WEST, McFARLAND, and
WHITAKER of NC.