WILLIAMS-L Archives

Archiver > WILLIAMS > 2007-02 > 1172505332

From: "Robert Hatcher" <>
Subject: Re: [WILLIAMS] William Williams AL
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:55:32 -0600

The William Williams that settled and founded the Williamston settlement in
Barbour Co. Alabama, about 1817, Was joined by Bartley C. Williams, Hope
Hull Williams, James R. Williams, George Walker Williams, Judge (Name and
title)Stith Williams and brothers(they were also sons of William Williams,
who died in Hancock Co. Ga. in 18051. William WILLIAMS.) The William
Williams who founded Williamstonwas Born abt 1760/70 in NC.[1],[2] William
died in NOV 1846 in Barbour Co., AL.[3],[4] Buried in Barbour Co., AL.
Occupation: Farmer.
William Williams was of 50 years of age but less than 60 according to the
1830 Pike County, Alabama U.S. Census.

William Williams wrote his will on 6 DEC 1833; it was recorded 29 JAN 1847.
Data from will: Wife Elizabeth was bequeathed one-third of estate and other
items; eldest son is Jarrid; eldest daughter is Sarah (Williams) Bush; other
children named: William, Braddock, Elizabeth Pugh, John L., Malinda Turner,
Council B., Lucinda, Owen G.; executors: Green Beauchamp and son John L.
Williams; witnesses: George W. Wicker, Hampton Ryan, Green Beauchamp. Not
named
in the will is Matilda (Williams) Fenn, also thought to be a daughter of
William
Williams.[5]
Estimating from the birth date and place of birth of son John L. Williams,
William Williams and family moved from NC to GA around 1803.[6]

William Williams d. by NOV 1846, in Barbour Co., AL.[7]

The Williams family apparently sojourned in GA from around 1803 until around
1817, the year William Williams and sons John L. and Braddock arrived in the
Mississippi Territory area that would become Alabama in 1819.[8]

The amount of time between the births of Jarrid, ca. 1790, and Sarah, ca.
1792,
and Braddock, ca. 1798, indicates that William probably had a wife before
Elizabeth. Jarrid's mother had to be b. by 1775 at the latest, and would
have
been too old to be the mother of Owen G., b. ca. 1826. Daughter Elizabeth
was b.
ca. 1801, in NC. William and Elizabeth may have had three children born in
GA:
John L., b. ca. 1804; Matilda, b. ca. 1807; William, Jr., b. ca. 1817. Four
children must have been born in AL: Malinda; Council B., b. ca. 1820;
Lucinda;
Owen G.[9]

Jones Co., GA, land transactions involving people named William
Williams.[10]
William Williams of Jones Co., from James Gates 9 MAY 1807, recorded 25 FEB
1809, Book A, p. 229. 202 1/2 acres, Wilkinson Co., parcel 60 in 3rd
District of
Wilkinson Co. Witnesses: Robert Holt, Wallingline Brazal. This is the
earliest
one found.
William Williams from Ephingston Carey 25 APR 1808, recorded 25 FEB 1809,
Book A,
p. 233. 202 1/2 acres 6th District of Baldwin Co. when drawn (now Jones
Co.),
parcel 78. Witnesses: Harris Allen, Z. Lamar.
William Williams from Wilson McKeny 1 MAR 1811, recorded 10 JUL 1811, Book
C, p.
145. 202 1/2 acres in 8th District of Baldwin Co., now Jones Co. McKeny
sells it
for taxes, original owner was William Wilkins. Transfer took place in town
of
Jefferson, Jackson Co.
William Williams from William Wilkins 20 APR 1811, recorded 21 MAR 1812,
Book D,
p. 44. 202 1/2 acres, lot 12, in Jones Co., formerly Baldwin Co.

Land patents in AL for Wm. Wms:
24 APR 1820, cash entry sale, signature date: 15 MAY 1837, land office:
Sparta.
Aliquot Parts: SWNE; Sec/Blk: 5/; Township: 7-N; Range: 27-E; Fract. Sect.:
N;
St. Stephens Meridian; 80.82 acres; Henry County.
24 APR 1820, cash entry sale, signature date: 15 MAR 1837; land office:
Sparta.
Alilquot Parts: W*SW; Sec/Blk: 31/; Township: 10-N; Range 27-E; Fract.
Sect.: N;
St. Stephens Meridian; 80.16 acres; Barbour County.[11]
An indenture conveys land from William M. Williams and wife Elizabeth to
Noel W.
Turner for $100, "lawful money of the United States of America." This
document
gives William a middle initial "M," but that initial doesn't appear often.
It
would be helpful to know what the initial stands for.[12]
ABT 1789 William married Elizabeth, in NC. Estimated from JarridĀ¹s presumed
birth
date. He is probably a son of William's first wife. Born abt 1770/80 in
NC.[1],[13] Elizabeth died AFT 1846 in Barbour Co., AL.[14]

Details from William Williams's will: "bequeath unto my wife Elizabeth
Williams
during her life my negro man named Washington, also my negro woman named
Sucky,
also my negro girl named Cluny, also my gray mare bridle and ladies saddle,
one
bed and bedstead and furniture belonging to the house, also three cows and
calves
fifteen hundred pounds of pork also four hundred bushels of corn all my
kitchen
furniture, and also one third part of all my lands and after her decease to
be
equally divided among all my children."[15]

They had the following children:
2 i. Jarrid (~1790-1842)
3 ii. Sarah (ca1792-)
4 iii. Braddock (~1798-1881)
5 iv. Elizabeth (~1801-)
6 v. John L. (~1806-1875)
7 vi. Matilda (~1807-1851)
vii. Malinda. Born on 7 JUL 1809.[16] Malinda died BEF FEB 1849 in
Barbour Co., AL.[17]

viii. Lucinda. Born ABT 1813 in AL.[9],[22]

Lucinda married Alexander D. WILLIAMS.

Alexander D. Williams owned land in Sections 16, 17, and 21, township 10,
range 27. Wife
Lucinda Williams (Conveyance Record E, p. 348) b. ca. 1813 GA.[23]

Alex. D. Williams also entered land in Barbour Co., AL, T10, R27, S31, in
1835.[24]

CENSUS DATA: 1840 Barbour Co., AL, census: A. D. Williams, 1 male -5,1 male
20-30, 1 female -5, 1 female 20-30, 2 slaves.[25]

8 ix. William (~1817-)
9 x. Owen G. (~1823-~1845)
xi. Council B.(Could be Council Bush or Council Bartley Williams). Born
abt 1820/5 in AL.[17]

Entered land in Barbour Co., 1834: T10 R27 S27.[26]

CENSUS DATA: 1833 state census entry for Barbour Co.: Counsel Williams:
white
males under 21:1; white males over 21: 1; white females under 21: 2; white
females over 21: 1.[27]

1840 census entry for Barbour Co.: C. B. Wms: M(0-5): 2; M(15-20): 1;
F(0-5): 2;
F(20-30): 1. Also in Barbour County, AL: father Wm Wms, brothers Jarrod and
John
L.[28]

Assume they were married in NC because they were born in NC and the older
children were born there.

Second Generation[48543.ftw]

[Williams12-8-00.FTW]

1. William WILLIAMS. Born abt 1760/70 in NC.[1],[2] William died in NOV 1846
[...]

Alexander D. Williams owned Sections 16, 17, and 21, township 10, range 27.
Wife
Lucinda Williams (Conveyance Record E, p. 348) b. ca. 1813 GA.[23]

Alex. D. Williams entered land in Barbour Co., AL, T10, R27, S31, in
1835.[24]

CENSUS DATA: 1840 Barbour Co., AL, census: A. D. Williams, 1 male -5,1 male
20-30, 1 female -5, 1 female 20-30, 2 slaves.[25]

8 ix. William (~1817-)
9 x. Owen G. (~1823-~1845)
xi. Council B.. Born abt 1820/5 in AL.[17]

Entered land in Barbour Co., 1834: T10 R27 S27.[26]

CENSUS DATA: 1833 state census entry for Barbour Co.: Counsel Williams:
white
males under 21:1; white males over 21: 1; white females under 21: 2; white
females over 21: 1.[27]

1840 census entry for Barbour Co.: C. B. Wms: M(0-5): 2; M(15-20): 1;
F(0-5): 2;
F(20-30): 1. Also in Barbour County, AL: father Wm Wms, brothers Jarrod and
John
L.[28]

Assume they were married in NC because they were born in NC and the older
children were born there.

Second Generation
May 24 1873)
Williamston was settled in 1820. In that year William Williams, father
of John L. Williams, William Bush, Jared Williams, a Mr. Copeland and John
Danner came in and settled there. These were the first settlers. Danner was
a German, a blacksmith and put the first blacksmith shop in Barbour county.
He was an industrious and useful man. Others come in soon after. The place
took its name from the fact that a good many Williamses were settled there.
William Williams put up the first cotton gin in this county.from the Eufaula
Weekly Times, Eufaula Alabama

This information needs to be edited
William Williams built the first Cotton Gin in Williamston, Barbour Co. Al.
about 6 and1/2 miles from Clayton, Al.and about twelve miles from Eufaula,
Al.