WILLIAMSON-GA-L Archives

Archiver > WILLIAMSON-GA > 2007-08 > 1188185157

From: "Olivia" <>
Subject: Re: [WILLIAMSON-GA] 1807 Georgia Land Lottery
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:25:57 -0400

Yes, he was definitely related to my John Williamson, but how I don't know.
I don't think he was his father as it appears there was another John
Williamson in the area who could have been Lemuel's son. So that leaves
either an uncle or an older brother. The given name Lemuel has come down in
John's line, so I know there is a connection. I have some notes I've
collected on Lemuel that I'm sending you. Let me know what you might learn.
Olivia

GE0RGIA:
*Lemuel Williamson received 300 acres in Burke County, GA on north side of
Briar Creek on his headrights August 1, 1785.
*Lemuel Williamson grant from governor for 300 acres in Burke County January
17, 1787.
*Lemuel Williamson drew land in Baldwin County in 1805 Land Lottery of
Montgomery County, GA.
*Penelope Adams received survey of 200 acres in Montgomery County "Including
the plantation whereon she now lives on head rights" January 1, 1810.
*Penelope Adams deeded livestock to her four children October 23, 1811,
STATING SHE WAS MOVING. Abel Akridge witnessed.
*Lemuel Williamson and Penelope Adams were married October 23, 1811, in
Montgomery County--by Abel Akridge, J.P.
*Penelope's children: Matthias Adams, Wiley Adams, Charlotte Adams m.
Arthur Davis, Asa Lemuel Adams, b. 12/17/1809 Montgomery County, d.
6/19/1891; Byrd Williamson, b. ca. 1814--later went by Byrd Adams. (Note: I
believe Asa Lemuel Adams was also a son of Lemuel Williamson.)
*Lemuel & Penelope were married same year, same place, and by same person as
John Williamson and Elizabeth Sullivan.
*Abel Akridge bought homestead of John Williamson's father-in-law, William
Sullivan, 100 acres on Pendleton Creek, same vicinity as John's
homestead. He performed marriage for both John and Lemuel.
*The given name "Lemuel" has been handed down in John Williamson's family.
*Lemuel Williamson fought in War of 1812 from Montgomery County. John
Williamson fought in same company.
*November 20, 1815: Penelope Adams was granted 200 acres in Montgomery
County, by governor of Georgia "vacant on all sides."
*Lemuel Williamson served on petit jury of Inferior Court of Montgomery
County on July 23, 1816.
*October 2,1816, Georgia Journal 1809-1818: Sheriff's Sale--200 acres pine
land...property of Malcome Munroe..in favor of Lemuel Williamson..signed
James Alston..D.Sheriff.
*October 2, 1817: Montgomery Co., GA--Overseers for the Poor of Montgomery
County have come forward saying that Lemuel Williamson is in indigent
circumstances and bodily affliction and that Lemuel Williamson must
experience extreme sufference unless aided by the county. The petition
was laid over until the next term of court.
*Lemuel Williamson applied for pension in 1818, Montgomery Co., GA, stating
his physical and financial condition.
*Penelope Williamson drew in 1820 Land Lottery of Montgomery County as
widow, but guardian was not appointed for Asa and Byrd until 1826. Does
this mean she lied about being a widow and Lemuel lived until 1826?
Olivia:
Here's what I have from the book "History of Montgomery Co, GA":
1801: Samuel Williamson appears on list of insolvents. (I wonder if this is
Lemuel?)
1805: Lemuel Williamson won a prize in the Georgia Land Lottery.
1811: Lemuel and John Williamson, of GMD #54 (became part of Emanuel Co),
appear in the Montgomery Co, GA Tax Digest.
1811: John Williamson and Elizabeth Sullivan(t) were married on 2/28/1811
Montgomery County, GA by Abel Akridge, J.P.
1811: Lemuel Williamson and Penelope Adams were married in Montgomery Co, GA
on 10/23/1811 by Abel Akridge, J.P.
1812: Lemuel and John Williamson, of GMD #54 (became part of Emanuel Co),
appear in the Montgomery Co, GA Tax Digest.
1816: John and Lemuel Williamson were drawn for Petit Jury duty on
7/13/1816. Recorded in Montgomery Co, GA Inferior Court Minutes.
1817: Nathan Williamson and James Alston signed an agreement to pay John
Williams $1,500 for the Boat Oconee Commerce. Recorded in Loose Papers
found in Montgomery Co, GA courthouse.
1819: Nathan Williamson received his commission as a Justice of the Peace on
7/16/1819.
1820: Nathan Williamson and W.T. Kilbee signed a list of household items.
Recorded in Loose Papers found in Montgomery Co, GA courthouse.
1820: Penellopy Williamson, of Alston District (#51), won land lot 321 in
district 7 in Irwin Co, GA. Penelope is the widow of Lemuel Williamson.
1820: John Williamson, of Alston District (#51), won land lot 100 in
district 1 in Walton Co, GA and land lot 69 in district 12 in Early Co, GA.
1820: John Williamson appears as head of a family (7 whites) in Montgomery
Co, GA.
1820: Nathan Williamson appears as head of a family (5 whites plus 58
slaves) in Montgomery Co, GA.
1821: The orphans of Samuel Williamson, of Adam's District (#51), won land
lot 54 in district 7 in Fayette Co, GA. (I wonder if this is Lemuel?)
1822: John Williamson, of Adams' District (# 51), appears in Montgomery Co,
GA Tax Digest.
1822: Nathan Williamson, also of Adams' District appears as a tax defaulter
owning 52 slaves. (It seems strange that a man owning that many slaves
would default on his taxes.)
1827: John Williamson, of Peterson's District (#51), appears in Montgomery
Co, GA Tax Digest.
1828: John Williamson, of Peterson's District (#51), appears in Montgomery
Co, GA Tax Digest, owning 5 slaves.
1829: John Williamson, of Peterson's District (#51), appears in Montgomery
Co, GA Tax Digest.
1830: John Williamson appears as head of a family (12 whites) in Montgomery
Co, GA.
1830: Penelope Williamson appears as head of a family (2 whites) in
Montgomery Co, GA.
1832: John Williamson, of Peterson's District (#51), won land lot 63-7-2 and
657-2-1.
1832: Bird Williamson, also of Peterson's District, won land lot 735-4-3.
1832: John Williamson, of Peterson's District (#51), appears in Montgomery
Co, GA Tax Digest, owning 1 slave.
1832: Mathias Adams, also of Peterson's District, appears as agent for Bird
Williamson in Montgomery Co, GA Tax Digest.
1833: William Williamson, of Peterson's District (#51), won land lot
1068-17-2.
1835: Bird Williamson, of Peterson's District (#51), appears in Montgomery
Co, GA Tax Digest.
1836: Bird Williamson, of Peterson's District (#51), appears in Montgomery
Co, GA Tax Digest.
1839: Andrew J. Williamson, of Peterson's District (#51), appears in
Montgomery Co, GA Tax Digest.
1840: Andrew J. Williamson, of Peterson's District (#51), appears in
Montgomery Co, GA Tax Digest.
1840: Andrew Williamson appears as head of a family (4 whites) GMD #51 in
Montgomery Co, GA.
1841: Andrew L.(sic) Williamson, of Peterson's District (#51), appears in
Montgomery Co, GA Tax Digest.
1841: Bird Williamson, also of Peterson's District, appears as a tax
defaulter in Montgomery Co, GA Tax Digest.
1842: Andrew J. Williamson appears in Montgomery Co, GA Tax Digest.
1842: Bird Williamson appears in Montgomery Co, GA Tax Digest.
1846: Solomon C. Williamson appears as agent for Andrew J. Williamson in
Montgomery Co, GA Tax Digest.
1849: John Williamson and Edith Hampton were married in Montgomery Co, GA on
2/25/1849.
1849: Andrew J. Williamson appears in Montgomery Co, GA Tax Digest. Andrew
J. Williamson also appears in the Tax Digest as guardian for Green Nunn.
SOUTH CAROLINA:
1790 WILLIAMSON LEMUEL Fairfield County SC 022 01 02 01 00 00 Federal
Population Schedule 1790 Federal Census Index SCS1a3524009
(ancestry.com - 10/8/99)
ago regarding the fact that in a deed dated July 4, 1811, and recorded
October 12, 1811, Montgomery Co., GA, James ROWLAND deeded 1/2 of the
remaining part of his stock of cattle to his grandson, John WILLIAMSON.
There have been several theories on the parents of this John Williamson, one
of which is that James Rowland's daughter, Lydia, was his mother. A Lydia
Williamson was enumerated in the 1820 census of Emanuel County with two
people living in her household: one female over 45 years old and one male
16-18 years old; this could be the Lydia Rowland (Williamson) and John
Williamson mentioned in the deed. This would suggest that Lydia Williamson
was born prior to 1775, and if she were the same as Lydia Rowland, would
have been a child of James Rowland's first marriage.
I find it interesting that the above deed was recorded in October of 1811,
and that Lemuel Williamson also married Penelope Adams in October of 1811 in
Montgomery County. Could he have been the father of the above John
Williamson and divorced from Lydia Rowland? Recently, I was contacted with
a response to an inquiry I'd placed on the genweb forum a few years ago
regarding Lemuel Williamson. He wrote: "Nicholas Reddick witnessed a deed
in Burke Co. in 1788 between Lemuel and Margaret Williamson of S.C. and
Richard Herrington of Burke Co. (Grantbook A-129)." This is probably the
same Richard Herrington who was a brother of Ephraim Herrington of Emanuel
County. Richard is said to have died in the 1830s at Millhaven Plantation
in Screven County, which leads me to think this 1788 deed was to land in
this vicinity. The date of this deed also puts Lemuel's approximate year of
birth back further than the 1770 I had estimated it to be.

Olivia Williamson Saffold
________________________________
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2002 5:26 AM

Olivia,
It's nice to know something I am doing has helped someone. I thought if I
went through Shirley's materials (a distant relative who has done a great
deal of research over the years) and posted messages related to EVERY name
in her book who had a connection with our ancestors, no matter how remote of
a connection, it would help someone, and I might gain more insight into our
ancestors. You are the second person this information has helped. One day,
we will have a website with all of this information on it and
cross-referenced, so a search would reveal something.
As far as additional information, I don't know much more than I shared.
The entry in Shirley's book on Nicholas Reddick reads like this:
1788- Nicholas Reddick is first noted when he witnessed a deed in Burke Co.
in 1788 between Lemuel and Margaret Williamson of S.C. and Richard
Herrington of Burke Co. (Grantbook A-129).
This info was sent to Shirley, but I feel sure it's documented in the State
of GA archives. That source may help you more than anything else. The other
thing is that it could be actually published in a book on St. George's
Parish or Burke/Screven Counties. That is all it says. Unfortunately, the
state archives of GA will do searches for you, but you have to pay them.
Armed with this bit of info, you ought to get something from them. They are
rather slow.
Now, what you said about Herrington dying at Millhaven Plantation actually
makes me "assume" that the Williamson's must have owned land on that rather
large plantation (back then it wasn't a plantation). This plantation still
exists today. It's a beautiful area, and it's not too far from the Savannah
river, which apparently was a rather busy place back then for trade, travel.
Nicholas Reddick and his four brothers owned land on Brier Creek and bought
that land from Francis Paris. Most of this land was sold off to Seaborn
Jones, who was the one who founded Millhaven Plantation.
I don't know about the Williamson's, but if I were you, I would definitely
check the archives of SC. I believe they will answer specific questions via
email (i.e. Do you have a record for Lemuel and Margaret Williamson recorded
in the 1790 census?). Another approach you could try, if you haven't already
done this, is go to the SC Gen web site for that area and do a general
internet search (just type in SC GenWeb, then go to the county where they
are recorded on the census). What you will find are some records posted
there. What you will find that is even more important is that there are
people dedicated to this business who will do free look-ups for you, and you
just never know.
As my family members and I (and there are several of us who are doing this
from different states, etc.) gather more info, I will keep you posted if I
run across something else that might be valuable. As far as the Williamson's
being the same ones in VA, I wouldn't doubt it for a minute. I have found
ancestors that lived in about 5 different states (same person). These people
traveled, in one sense, more than we do today even with the modern
conveniences. Plus the migration patterns were VA to NC/SC to GA, where
ever land was most plentiful and could be obtained free. One other thing
I've noticed is that folks got grants, but didn't settle the land. Instead,
they held it, then sold it. This may have been the case with the
Williamson's (particularly since they lived in SC according to this deed).
Good luck, and if I can help any more, just let me know. I didn't want to
post all of this general stuff on the forum, so I just emailed you directly.
I hope that was okay.
Niles