WILLOUGHBY-L Archives

Archiver > WILLOUGHBY > 2003-04 > 1051022366

Subject: [Willoughby] 1600s/WILLOUGHBY/England>VA/Old Rap/North./West./Re: orig. post Coat of Arms
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 10:39:26 EDT

Dear Glyns,

Hello. I'm sort of 'grabbing at straws' here in any direction trying to find
missing information on my paternal 7th great grandmother who may possibly
have been an immigrant or, perhaps, her parents were. (There are a lot of
various connections leading back to many of the same families that I will
move through as quickly as possible below.)

Her name is believed to have been Mary WILLOUGHBY, born: Bet. 1662-1670
either in England or Virginia, most likely, and she is found first in Old
Rappahannock County, Virginia and later Richmond County, Virginia with her
husband, my paternal 7th great grandfather, William JENNINGS, Sr., born:
Abt. 1668 in Sittenburne Parish, Old Rappahannock County, Virginia, died:
1734 in Lunenberg Parish, Richmond County, Virginia, (son of immigrant, John
JENNINGS, Sr., born: Abt. 1633/poss. May 22, 1640 in St. Martin's Parish,
Birmingham, Worcestershire or Warwickshire, England, and his wife, Margaret
PAYNE, born: Abt. 1635 in either England or Old Rappahannock County,
Virginia, died: 1685 in Old Rappahannock County, Virginia, believed to have
been the daughter of John PAYNE, Sr., born: John PAYNE, Sr., born: November
03, 1616 in Frittenden, Kent, England, died: 1689 in Maryland during the
Maryland Protestant Revolution and buried at "Red House," Cedar Hill,
Westmoreland County, Virginia, and his wife, believed to have been Margaret
ROBINSON, believed to have been the daughter of immigrants, Richard ROBINSON
and Anne MOORE. The aformentioned Margaret PAYNE after the death of 1st
husband, John JENNINGS, Sr. married her 2nd husband who was Christopher
EDRINGTON, Sr..

Now, this Mary WILLOUGHBY is believed most likely to have been a descendant
of Susanna BROOKE and her husband, (Sir) Ambrose WILLOUGHBY, (Knight,) born:
in Maston, Gloucestershire, England, died: Bef. November 24, 1608, whose
son, Edward WILLOUGHBY, married Rebecca DRAPER and they were the parents of
2 sons I know of that were (1.) (Sir) Thomas WILLOUGHBY, born: Abt. 1600,
who married Alice ?, parents of Elizabeth WILLOUGHBY who married as the 2nd
wife of Issac ALLERTON, Jr., son of Mayflower immigrant, Isaac ALLERTON, Sr.
and his 2nd wife, Fear BREWSTER, daughter of Mayflower immigrant, William
BREWSTER,) (2.) Henry WILLOUGHBY, I, born: Bef. November 14, 1626 in
Minsterworth, Gloucestershire, England, died: November 26-28, 1685 at his
daughter's house in Hull's Creek on River and/or Old Rappahannock County,
Virginia, who married a Mary ?, born: Aft. 1630 in Nailsworth,
Gloucestershire, England, died: October 08, 1681 in Minsterworth,
Gloucestershire, England, md: Bef. June 25, 1661 in Nailsworth or
Minsterworth, Gloucestershire, England, whom, according to my information,
had a son who was named Henry WILLOUGHBY, II, (Baron of Parham,) born: Bef.
April 13, 1665 in England, died: October 22, 1722 in England, poss. in
Middlesex County, England, maybe in London, as he was buried at Bunhill
Fields in St. Luke's, Middlesex County, England, who married Elizabeth
PIDGEON/PIGEON and were parents of Henry PARHAM, III and Fortune WILLOUGHBY.
The aforementioned Mary ? and Henry WILLOUGHBY, I were also the parents of at
least one daughter that I may have seen previously as Rebecca but I'm not
sure and missing that information at this moment and I have also speculated
that this Henry WILLOUGHBY, I and his wife, Mary ?, may have been the parents
of my Mary WILLOUGHBY who married William JENNINGS, Sr..

The aforementioned brother of Henry WILLOUGHBY, I who was (Sir) Thomas
WILLOUGHBY and wife, Alice ?, were the parents of the Elizabeth WILLOUGHBY,
born: Abt. 1635 in England, died: Bef. 1683 in New Haven, New Haven County,
Connecticut, and buried, I believe, in Westmoreland County, Virginia,
(formerly Northumberland County,) where she had lived with her husband, Isaac
ALLERTON, Jr., as mentioned above, after moving to Virginia from New England.
This Isaac ALLERTON, Jr., I believe, is somehow closely related to a woman
whom was my paternal 7th step-great grandmother at least once and maybe twice
or the 2nd time she may have been my paternal natural 7th great grandmother
but we are still trying to find information about Mattilda/Matilda (Martha?)
ALLERTON, born: Abt. 1645 in ?, who married as her 1st husband my paternal
7th great grandfather, Samuel EARLE, I, born: 1639 at Somerton Estate, Nye,
Wynscomb, Somersetshire, England, died: Bet. 1696-1697 in Cople Parish,
Westmoreland County, Virginia, (son of my paternal 8th great grandfather,
(Sir) John EARLE, born: Abt. 1612 at Somerton Estate, Nye, Wynscomb,
Somersetshire, England, and his 1st wife, Mary SYMONDS, born: Abt. 1617 in
Gloucestershire, England.

The aforementioned Samuel EARLE, I's 1st wife and my paternal natural 7th
great grandmother was Bridget HALE(S) whom is believed to have been the
daughter of the Thomas HALE(S)/HAILES/HAILLES/HAYLES who settled Yeocomico
Plantation in Northumberland County, Virginia with the aforementioned (Sir)
John EARLES after acquiring it from the Indians.

And after the death of the aforementioned Samuel EARLE, I, the aforementioned
Mrs. Mattilda ALLERTON EARLE married as her 2nd husband, William RUSH/RUST,
Sr., born: Abt. 1634 in Suffolk County, England, died: Abt. October 25,
1688 in Cople Parish, Westmoreland County, Virginia, md: May 17, 1662 in
Cople Parish, Westmoreland Co., VA, after the death of his 1st wife, Anne
MEDCALFE/METCALFE, (this marriage of Mattilda and William has descendants
related to the aforementioned PAYNE family as well as my LAMKIN - COX -
DEMOURVILLE family group in my maternal lineage,) and after the death of
William RUSH/RUST, Mrs. Mattilda ALLERTON EARLE RUSH/RUST then married Bef.
1705 to her 3rd husband, John BENNETT, born: Bef. 1640 in England most
likely, whom is believed to have been the father of my paternal 6th great
grandmother, Phillis BENNETT, born: Abt. 1666 in Northumberland/Westmoreland
Co., Virginia, died: Bef. 1746 in Westmoreland County, Virginia, md: 1690
in Westmoreland County, Virginia, who married my paternal 7th great
grandfather, Samuel EARLE, II, born: Bet. 1670-1680 in Cople Parish,
Westmoreland County, Virginia, died: August 06, 1746 in Westmoreland County,
Virginia, with Samuel EARLE, II being the stepson of the aforementioned Mrs.
Mattilda ALLERTON EARLE RUSH/RUST BENNETT who was the natural mother or the
stepmother of Samuel EARLE, II's wife, Phillis BENNETT.

Samuel EARLE, II and his wife, Phillis BENNETT, were the parents of my
paternal 5th great grandfather who was named (Major) Samuel EARLE, III, born:
Abt. 1692 in Westmoreland County, Virginia, who was the 1st member of the
House of Burgesses elected from Frederick County, Virginia holding the seat
that would later be held by (General/former President) George WASHINGTON
whose father, Augustine WASHINGTON, owned land adjoining that of Samuel
EARLE, I, the aforementioned grandfather of the aforementioned (Major) Samuel
EARLE, I whose 1st wife was Anna SORRELL with whom he had his 1st son to be
named Samuel EARLE, IV, born: 1727, died: 1752, but I descend from (Major)
Samuel EARLE and his much younger 2nd wife, Elizabeth HOLBROOK, born: Abt.
1733 in Prince William County, Virginia, who were the parents of the 2nd son
to be named Samuel EARLE, IV, (RS/Sgt.,) born: January 20, 1760 at "Town
Run" Plantation, Fauquier County, Virginia, who married Tabitha WILLIAMS,
born: 1766 in North Farnham Parish, Richmond County, Virginia who descends
from 2 sets of WILLIAMS families that immigrated in the 1600s which were the
WILLIAMS-PEMBERTON family and the WILLIAMS-BILLINGTON family.

All of these families connect extensively with the WASHINGTON and other
connecting families and the aforementioned Mary WILLOUGHBY and husband,
William JENNINGS, Sr. named one of their sons, Augustine JENNINGS, born:
1708 in Richmond County, Virginia, and he married Hannah WILLIAMS whom
appears to have been related in some way to the WILLIAMS family related to
the BALL, CUSTIS and WASHINGTON families but I'm not sure how nor how they
might connect to one or both of the aforementioned WILLIAMS family groups.

And the aforementioned Samuel EARLE, IV, (RS/Sgt.) and wife, Tabitha
WILLIAMS, were the parents of my 3rd great grandmother, Kitty EARLE, born:
1795, who married in 1811 to Bailey JENNINGS, born: Abt. 1789, whom is
descended from the aforementioned JENNINGS-PAYNE-WILLOUGHBY lineage, and
their daughter, Sarah "Sally" JENNINGS, married Jeremiah "Jerry" PARKER as
his 2nd/3rd wife and they were the parents of Spencer B. PARKER, born: 1859
in Smith or Rankin Co., MS, my paternal great grandfather, who married as the
2nd/3rd husband of my paternal great grandmother, Rachael Moranda "Randy"
LEWIS, born: Abt. 1851 in Jones County, MS, who married under the name of
Moranda COLEMAN possibly from a first marriage to a ? COLEMAN when she
married both known husbands, Wesley BRIGHT and Spencer B. PARKER.

Rachael Moranda "Randy" LEWIS is believed to be descended twice from John
"Councillor" LEWIS and wife, Elizabeth WARNER, daughter of Mildred READE and
Augustine WARNER who were also the parents of Mildred WARNER who married
Lawrence WASHINGTON and they were the parents of the aforementioned Augustine
WASHINGTON, father of (President) George WASHINGTON. With the name of
Augustine JENNINGS as the son of early 1600s Virginians, William JENNINGS,
Sr. and Mary WILLOUGHBY and with the closely connected Augustine WASHINGTON
and Augustine WARNER families I suspect a possible descent or connection to
the name of Augustine JENNINGS but that is still speculation.

If there is anything that you might have in your WILLOUGHBY information that
might shed some light on this for me I would be most grateful. I think that
it is possible that Mary WILLOUGHBY might have been the daughter of the
aforementioned Mary ? and Henry WILLOUGHBY, (brother of (Sir) Thomas
WILLOUGHBY, father of Elizabeth WILLOUGHBY who married Isaac ALLERTON, Jr.
who moved from New England to Westmoreland County, Virginia living their
during the same time as Mrs. Mattilda ALLERTON EARLE RUSH/RUST BENNETT with
all of the varying connections then to the other families which, also, by the
way had family branches in New England including the BERRY, PRINCE/PRENCE and
MERRICK/MEYRICK/MYRICK family group that I descend from out of Isle of Wight
County, Virginia in the 1600s that descends from the original spelling of
MEURIG/MEURIC in 1500s Wales to England that then came into New England with
our ancestor then into Virginia.

In advance, I thank you for any information that you might have regarding my
missing WILLOUGHBY pieces.

Sincerely,

Bellinda Myrick-Barnett

In a message dated 4/22/2003 7:58:01 AM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

> Subj: [Willoughby] Re: Coat of Arms
> Date: 4/22/2003 7:58:01 AM Central Daylight Time
> From: <A HREF="mailto:"></A>
> To: <A HREF="mailto:"></A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
> Message Board Post:
>
> Hi
>
> My g grandfather was Richard William Willoughby born 1832 in England ??
>
> I have a lot of info on the Willoughby family dating back to 1100.
>
> If you require some info please let me know.
>
> regards
>
> Glenys Pollard
> Australia

This thread: