WILTSHIRE-EMI-L Archives

Archiver > WILTSHIRE-EMI > 2001-01 > 0979549248


From: "ebble.uklinux.net" <>
Subject: 1 The KIWI Bulford/ Sling Camp
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:00:48 -0000


Hello Dell

The following extract was originally sent to another list.
From the book: "Discovering Hill Figures." by Kate Bergamar.
Shire Publications; 4th Ed 1997; ISBN 0-74878 0345 5. £ 4-50
Has a picture of the Kiwi, but I don't have scanner & doubt its large & good
enough to scan. Try your nearest good library or may be available online
from Amazon. Or your RSA review of April 1992, see other message coming up
with regard latter. If all this fails, "Devizes Books" Handel House,
Devizes, Wilts
has copies, will accept credit card & post overseas, very reliable.
Tel/Fax inter +44 (0)1380 725944 & Fax 729141 respectively.

"Bulford Kiwi" On Beacon Hill, Bulford Camp, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire.

The Kiwi is the emblem of New Zealand. The New Zealand Expeditionary
Force began building Sling Barracks, Bulford, in 1914, before moving to
Alexandria to train for Gallipoli. Bulford became the base for the 4th
New Zealand Infantry Brigade Reserve Camp & New Zealanders trained there
before leaving for France and Flanders.
At the end of the war in 1918 new Zealand was anxious to get her 4500
troops at Sling Camp home quickly but troop ships were not available. It
was decided the men must be kept occupied; "spit & polish" & route
marches continued. The men requested a relaxation of discipline but were
refused & the Kiwis, infuriated, went on the rampage, looted the canteen
and the officers' mess, drinking all the liquor & causing extensive
damage.
To resolve the situation, the officers promised no repercussions, but is
was not honoured; the ringleaders were arrested, jailed & ironically,
shipped home.
A Col MEAD suggested the men should be employed on cutting a giant Kiwi
on Beacon Hill. The work was done in February & March 1919 by the New
Zealand Canterbury Engineers. It was not a labour of love; fatigue
parties were detailed.
Col Mead arranged for the Engineers to tape the outline using a drawing
made from a sketch in the Natural History Museum by Sergeant-Major Percy
C. BLENKARNE, a drawing instructor with the New Zealand Division. The
designer paid skilful attention to perspective on a difficult site. The
bird, which covers almost one & half acres (0.6 hectare) is 420 feet
(128 metres) high; its beak is 150 feet (45.7 metres) long and the
letters "NZ", below the beak, are 65 feet (19.8 metres) high. In the
cutting 12 inches (30 cm) of topsoil was removed.....
**

To be continued






This thread: