WIMONROE-L Archives

Archiver > WIMONROE > 2001-08 > 0999037750

From: MAK <>
Subject: CLARK (William Henry)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:29:12 -0700 (PDT)

Posted at:
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p=localities.northam.usa.states.wisconsin.counties.monroe&m=591

+++Reply to Patsy <>

Before jumping on-line, do some research at the local library or LDS Library.
Great sources are the Census Indexes, Books with Biographies by county,
Newspaper Indexes (Obits, Births, Deaths, Marriages), and for WI there is a
microfishe of pre 1907 Births, Deaths, and Marriages. Make sure you know where
each family member was during what years to make the search easier, as you can
eliminate records prior to their arrival. Once you have located all the info
at your immediate access, then go on-line. Do the following, in order as of
recommendation:

-Search the WI Archives at:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/wi/monroe/monroe.htm

BRAMAN 1 hit CLARK 11 hits LOVELL 0 hits REED 3 hits ROBERTSON 6 hits

-Post a FEW well written queries to the MonroeCoWI Board (where this one
currently resides). Take time to draft a thoughtful request. A request such
as searching for all CLARK is useless and will normally be ignored by the
experienced genealogist. However, a query such as the one below, might attract
a distant cousin to share information with. Also, have reasonable
expectations. Remember, just because the volunteer is FREE doesn't mean they
have unlimited time. While waiting for your nibble - check out other
genealogical sources.

- Register your surnames at the MonroeCoWI Surname Pages
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wimonroe/surname/ Be sure to include surname, given
names, dates and places of residence...

As for my sources:
I use Family Tree Maker to record my family history and have purchased some of
their CDs. Also, I check under lookups, many people are willing to do free
lookups in numerous sources. Unfortunately, in MonroeCoWI, there aren't any
volunteers as of today: http://www.rootsweb.com/~wimonroe/look.html However,
Monroe County Local History Museum and Research Room does respond to written
queries, for more information see: http://www.rootsweb.com/~wimonroe/MCLHMaRR/

Here is what I found on-line:

WI Census:
1860 CLARK WILLIAM Monroe County WI 059 Jefferson
1890 ROBERTSON METHVEN Monroe County WI 002 E.D. 199 Tomah
1890 BRAMAN ROSWELL E. Monroe County WI 003 E.D. 188 La Grange
Wisconsin Census, 1820-90
1890 LOVELL RUTH W. -W- Monroe County WI 001 E.D. 198 Sparta

NY Census:
New York Census, 1790-1890
1820 ROBERTSON ALVA Saratoga County NY 209 Ballston
1860 ALVA Saratoga County NY 209 Ballston
1840 ROBERTSON ALVA* Warren County NY 337 Chester
1850 ROBERTSON JOHN A. Saratoga County NY 274 Saratoga
1840 ROBERTSON JOHN S. * Saratoga County NY 239 Saratoga
1860 ROBERTSON JOHN Saratoga County NY 686 Milton
1840 ROBERTSON JOHN Warren County NY 337 Chester
1850 ROBERTSON JOHN Warren County NY 131 Chester
1860 ROBERTSON JOHN Warren County NY 201 Warrensburg

Mississippi Census, 1805-90
1850 ROBERTSON ALVA De Soto County MS 393

Massachusetts Census, 1790-1890
1840 BRAMAN ROSWELL Hampden County MA 168 W Springfield Irelan

Illinois Census, 1810-90
1860 LOVEL ALONZO L. De Kalb County IL 149 Pampas Township

Wisconsin Marriages, 1835-1900
Name Spouse Marriage Date County State
CLARK, WILLIAM B. BATTALIAN, ANNIE 23 Oct 1872 Monroe WI
CLARK, WILLIAM RICE, ELLEN 18 Jul 1878 Monroe WI
CLARK, WILLIAM H BEAMAN, MARY A. 24 Aug 1884 Monroe WI
ROBERTSON, JOHN McMULLEN, MARGARET JANE 1 Jan 1875 Monroe WI
John Robertson 01 Jan 1875 Monroe Vol 02 Pg 0139
ROBERTSON, METHVEN FAULKNER, MARY E. 7 Jan 1885 Monroe WI
Methven Robertson 07 Jan 1885 Monroe Vol 03 Pg 0170
DELAWARE, FRANCIS R. REED, RUTH ELLEN 16 Dec 1860 Grant WI
Celia Ruth Reed 25 Jun 1879 Clark 01 0134
Ruth Reed 08 May 1871 Columbia 02 0098
Ruth E Reed 16 Dec 1860 Grant 03 0092

Massachusetts Town Marriage Records
LOVELL, Alonzo G. Joann Gordon May 30, 1849 Andover

WI Births Pre 1907
William H Clark Birth Date: 12 Jan 1886 County: Portage Reel: D0005 Record:
012233
William H Clark Birth Date: 29 Mar 1907 County: Sauk Reel: 0266 Record:
002100

WI Deaths pre 1907
Roswell E Braman Death Date: 30 Jul 1900 County: Monroe Volume: 01 Page:
0200 Reel: 100

IL Public Land Purchase
Name Type Section Sect Township Range Meridian Acres Price Total Date
Month Date Day Date Year Reside Volume Page Blank SocStat ID
Corr-Tag
ROBERTSON ALVA FD NESW 32 42N 01E 3 4000 00000 0000000 January
27 1852 000 706 017 W 176376 0

Iowa Cemetery Records
Page: Alva A. Robertson Birth Date: 1885 Death Date: 1934
Cemetery: West Union Town: West Union
Comment: lot 11

KY Deaths: 1911-present
Robertson, Alva R Volume: 28 Certificate: 13957 Death Date: 1 June, 1960
Death Place: Scott Age: 053 Residence: Scott

Ohio Deaths, 1958-69
Name Death Date Death Place
ROBERTSON, ALVA June 16, 1965 1503, Columbiana County

Oregon Death Index, 1903-98
Robertson, Alva L County: Portland Death Date: 16 D 1918 Certificate: 3587

War of 1812 Service Records
Surname Given Name Middle Initial Company Unit Rank - Induction Rank -
Discharge MISC ROLL-BOX ROLL-EXCT
ROBERTSON ALVA ROGER'S REGIMENT, NEW YORK MILITIA PRIVATE PRIVATE 177 602

American Civil War Soldiers
Name State Served Enlist Date Enlist Rank Enlist Age Enlist Place Army
Roswell E Braman Wisconsin 09 August 1862 Corpl Union

Civil War Service

Braman Roswell E. D 25 Wisconsin Infantry. Corporal Sergea

Civil War Pension
Roswell E. Braman State Filed: Wisconsin Widow: Zerviah C. Braman

American Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI)
Surname Given Name(s) Maiden Name Birth Date Birth Place Biographical Info
Reference
BRAMAN Roswell Emerson 813 Massachusetts Connecticut Elder John Crandall
of RI. and des. By John Cortland Crandall. New Woodstock, NY, 1949.
(20,797p.):86
BRAMAN Roswell Emerson 183? Connecticut Elder John Crandall of RI. and
des. By John Cortland Crandall. New Woodstock, NY, 1949. (20,797p.):86

I am not related to nor have any additional information on these surnames.

Hope this helps. R/S MAK
MonroeCoWI CC http://www.rootsweb.com/~wimonroe

+++

--- Patsy Frank <> wrote:
I have been trying to find info on my great grandparents who are from Tomah and
have hit nothing but brick walls. Both sets of ggrandparents have been almost
impossible to track. (CLARK, William Henry and ROBERTSON, John). How can I
find some of the information which you listed as sources.

William Henry CLARK was a noted man in Tomah. He owned the mill/blacksmith shop
on Saratoga Street, and read Edgar Guest books at public meetings/gatherings.
He and his wife Mary Adelia (BRAMAN) were members of the Oddfellows and the
Rebekahs. My grandfather, Alva ROBERTSON, ran the mill/blacksmith shop until he
died.

Methven ROBERTSON, Alva's grandfather, is another hard link to research. I
have found nothing on Alva's parents, John & Margaret J. (McMULLEN) ROBERTSON.
I have found some data on Methven, but not enough to jump start my research. I
have also found some data on the other set of gggrandparents....Roswell Emerson
& Zerviah Chloe (SPOONER) BRAMAN, parents of Mary Adelia (BRAMAN) CLARK. The
McMULLEN's are a complete deadend...no data anywhere...

I also am looking for Alonzo (we think) and Ruth (Reed) LOVELL... possibly in
the Sparta or Angelo area...Ruth is the daughter of
James REED. Another dead end as far as available data is concerned. They had
one son that I know of by the name of Clinton V., 1862-1929.

Do you have any advice for me on where to look for information that may lead me
in the right direction? Thanks for your time!

Patsy <>

=====