WIPORTAG-L ArchivesArchiver > WIPORTAG > 2006-02 > 1141146317
Subject: Re: St. Clara's Orphanage - more info
Date: 28 Feb 2006 10:05:17 -0700
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
Here's a little more information about St. Clare's Orphanage.
In 1880, the Felician Sisters' mother-house, Saint Claire Convent, had become too small for the growing community in Polonia. In 1882 the mother-house was moved to Detroit, MI and the old convent was then turned into an orphanage for homeless boys conducted by the sisters. In 1914 the orphanage burned to the ground, leaving the orphans and the Felician Sisters temporarily shelterless. It was rebuilt a year later.
There are three pictures related to the orphanage in "100th Anniversary: Sacred Heart Congregation Polonia, Wisconsin" .
The sisters discontinued the orphange in the 1920s making it a home for their own aged Sisters.