WLS-MERIONETHSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > WLS-MERIONETHSHIRE > 2002-06 > 1025008645

From: Ann Watt <>
Subject: Re: [MER] Merioneth list census
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:37:25 +0100

Here's my information for the census - sorry it's taken so long to come
- Netscape crashed before I sent the first one, and I lost it all. And I
have still mislaid some of my notes, but will do what I can.

I live in Edinburgh, Scotland. My grandmother Ann (Nancy) Jane OWEN from
Blaenau Ffestiniog was a nurse who married a Scottish doctor - they met
while working in a hospital in Liverpool.

Nancy's parents both had Merioneth connections, in different parts of
the county. Her father John OWEN was born in Llanrwst in 1849(died
Blaenau Ffestiniog 1913), and in the male line his ancestors seem to be
pretty well rooted in Penmachno, though his grandfather Lewis OWEN was
the first in the line to use the surname OWEN - before that it was all
patronymics. However John Owen's parents, Owen OWEN and Margaret ROBERTS
were married in Ffestiniog and at least their first two children were
born there. John's mother, Margaret ROBERTS was born at Cae Canol Mawr,
Ffestiniog, the daughter of Robert ROBERTS(1785-1859) and Catherine
DAVIES(1775-1856). (Cae Canol Mawr features in a true murder story on
the Blaenau Ffestiniog website at
http://blaenau.members.beeb.net/history/murder.html - the EPHRAIM family
who are mentioned were also descendants of Robert and Catherine ROBERTS,
through their daughter Gwen ROBERTS who married Cadwaladr LEWIS.)

John OWEN's father had three younger brothers, Pierce OWEN(b1816), David
OWEN(b1818) and John OWEN(b1829), all of whom seem to have been living
in Tanygrisiau in the 1841 Census. Pierce was married, but I have not
found him or his family or either of his brothers in the 1881 Census.

John OWEN's paternal grandmother was Jane PIERCE (1791-1830) who was
also from Ffestiniog, the daughter of Pierce DAVID and Elizabeth. Pierce
DAVID was also born in Ffestiniog, the son of David PIERCE. (Patronymics
again!)

My g-grandmother, Nancy Owen's mother and John Owen's wife, was Ellin or
Elinor LLOYD (1854-1939). Ellin was born in Llantysilio, Denbighshire,
but both her parents were from Merioneth. Her father William
LLOYD(1808-1881) was born in Trawsfynydd, and was descended through his
father John LLOYD(1768-1835) from the Lloyds of Cwm Bychan. His mother
was Elinor JONES(1770-1863) from Trawsfynydd, who may sometimes also
have been known as Elinor ROBERTS.

Ellin Lloyd's mother was Ann ROBERTS(1811/12-1883) who was born near
Cynwyd, then in the parish of Gwyddelwern, but later transferred to the
parish of Llangar, which is where Ann was baptised. Her parents were
John ROBERTS or ELLIS(1756-1818) from the parish of Llandrillo and Jane
JONES(1766-1845) from Cynwyd, also baptised in Llangar.

More details of most of this can be found on my website at
http://web.ukonline/ann.watt

Best wishes,

Ann
--
Ann Macdonald Watt
Institute for Meteorology, University of Edinburgh