WLS-MERIONETHSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > WLS-MERIONETHSHIRE > 2012-03 > 1332097964

From: "" <>
Subject: [MER] Request help in obtaining church burial records - St Twrog'sChurch - Maentwrog
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 19:12:44 -0000

Author: jcw_2010
Surnames: Morris/Williams
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.britisles.wales.mer.general/927/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

We've been told that my great-great grandfather, Lewis Morris, and his son, Samuel Morris, both slaters, are buried in the cemetery at Saint Twrog's Church Maentwrog, Merionethshire, Wales - Bo55. Lewis was born about 1819 and died on 14 FEB 1876 (I have the death cert from Wales). His son, Samuel, was born about 1863 and died 21 DEC 1882 - he apparently was to have died in an accident at the quarry so burial may have been delayed due to an inquest.

If anyone lives in the area and attends St. Twrog's Church, I'm hoping you will be able to assist us in obtaining a copy of the cemetery records for both Lewis and Samuel and to take photos of the stones. We have been told that the stone may carry the following:

Er coffadwriaeth am LEWIS MORRIS gynt o Trawsfynydd a fu farw Chwef 14, 1876 yn 55 ml. oed.
Hefyd ei fab Samuel Morris a fu farw Rhag. 21 1882 yn 19 ml. oed.

In the memory of LEWIS MORRIS formerly of Trawsfynydd who died on 14 February 1876 aged 55.
Also his son Samuel Morris who died on 21 December 1882 aged 19.

I know that Lewis was married to an Anne Williams and there was a daughter, Ellin/Ellen Morris and son named David Morris (twin brother of Samuel) who lived in Blaenau Ffestiniog - I have tracked them up to the 1881 Wales census - http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1881wales&indiv=try&h=12992760.

Other sons, William G. Morris and Ellis Morris came over to work in the slate quarries in Vermont and New Jersey soon after that census. A son of either Samuel or David Morris, named David Morris came over to the US as an orphan (about 11 years old) and stayed in New Jersey with Ellis Morris. I am also wondering if Anne Williams Morris, David Morris and wives are buried at St Twrog's church. Are there records for the inquest regarding the death of Samuel Morris? Are there any newspapers covering these deaths at the County Archive or the National Library that would refer to the accident, the inquest or the funeral of Samuel Morris.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone may be able to provide us.

Joanne

Important Note: