WLS-MERIONETHSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > WLS-MERIONETHSHIRE > 2013-06 > 1371046692

From: Ken Richards <>
Subject: Re: [MER] Salem Sydney Curnow Vosper comes home!
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 10:18:12 -0400

Alwyn,

I found this article which lists the names of the people who posed
for Vosper when he painted Salem.

http://welshjournals.llgc.org.uk/
Article title: Salem
Periodical: Y Ford Gron. Vol 3. No. 6. April 1933, pages 125 and 144
Author: Einion Evans, Dolgellau

The article lists:

Sian Owen (the main subject), Tyn y fawnog, later Ffordd Groes,
Llanfair.

From left to right:

Robert Williams, Cae Meddyg, man under clock,
Laura Williams, Ty'n y buarth, face partly hidden
Owen Jones, Carleg Coch, man under window
Seated lady, no one in particular. Subject may have been a dummy.
Evan Edward Lloyd, Ty'n yr Aelgarth, Llanberis, young boy seated
Mary Rowlands, Dolgellau, originally from Cefn Cymerau, lady next to
young boy
William Jones, Carleg Coch, nearest to Sian Owen.

The painting took about four months to complete, between June and
September 1908. Individuals were paid 6 pence an hour to pose. Sian
Owen's Paisley shawl was borrowed from a lady in Harlech. The same
hat was worn by all of the ladies.

- The devil's face in the shawl: a comment attributed to a well-known
artist which was refuted by Vosper,

- William and Owen Jones of Carleg Coch: both "sat" for the painting,
but only one of them appears in the final version.

[With acknowedgements to Welsh Periodicals Online (National Library
of Wales)]

Pob hwyl,

Ken Richards