WOODARD-L Archives

Archiver > WOODARD > 2008-03 > 1206662543

Subject: [WOODARD] William Woodard(North Carolina/Tennessee, Lincoln Co. )
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:02:23 -0700

Brick wall/ help request.

There is a William Woodard (1830 Lincoln County, Tenn. census shows
3-0-1-1-1-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0/1-1-2-2-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0) located next door to
a Joel Butler and a William Butler. This William Butler married a Sarah
Jane/Sallie
Woodard 28 Oct 1828 since this census listed a man and a wife by
themselves. The Butler family
moved to Kentucky, where we have follow them and gather more information.
We tried to follow
the Woodard, but were unsuccessful under the 1840 census. It seem we were
guessing.

We know nothing more on the Woodard/Woodward family EXCEPT THE FOLLOWING:

There are several William Woodard showing up by 1850 census.

We know some of the children born under William and Sarah Woodard were
born in
North Carolina from the census of our ancestor and what we found below:

In a book called "The History of Tennessee Illustrated: Giles, Lincoln,
Franklin and Moore Counties" it was written in 1886, but was recently
compiled by the Southern Historical Press In SC in 1997 writes on page
914 that a man named George Stuart, farmer, whose birth occurred in North
Carolina in March, 1814, is a son of Thomas and Sarah STUART. The father
of our subject was a descendant of Irish ancestors, and was born in North
Carolina. He immigrated to West Virginia and remained there until his
death. The mother was also born in North Carolina, and died in Moore
County, Tenn. Our subject was reared on the farm, and received a rather
limited education in the schools of those early days. He came to
Tennessee with his widowed mother when about seventeen years of age, and
in 1831 married Harriet WOODARD, a native of North Carolina, born in
1816, and the daughter of William and Sarah WOODARD.

We think that this family is connected and based upon
http://www.azcaseys.com/lookups/lct1850/np2124.htm#iin19840

We find William Woodard, ABT 1789 - 9 OCT 1874 Died at the residence
of George Stewart.

LCT Pioneers Vol XII, No. 2, page 83. Goodspeed Biographies, published in
1887.

Names that pop up for Sarah Jane (Woodard) Butler children are the
following:

Narcissus Obedience Butler
Sarah Elizabeth Butler
Benjamin Franklin Butler
Moses H. Butler
Nancy Jane Butler
Joel Butler
William Harrison Butler
Elizabeth A. Butler
Lucinda Clementine Catharine Butler
Samuel Daniel Butler
George A. Butler
Mary L. Butler

Death certificates for three of the 12 children list mother's surname.

Any assistance would be appreciated!!!!!

This thread: