WOODCOCK-L Archives

Archiver > WOODCOCK > 1999-10 > 0940951922

From: <>
Subject: Charles B. Woodcock Savage
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:32:02 EDT

I am looking for any information and especially a photograph of Charles
Burger Woodcock (later, Charles Woodcock Savage), born, New York City, May 1,
1850, died New York City, June 26, 1923.

His father was Jonas Gurnee Woodcock (b. Jan 7, 1822, d. Oct 17, 1908) and
his mother Sarah Savage (b. Dec 6, 1824, d. Apr 30, 1893). Charles' brothers
were, I believe, Allan and Galen.

In 1888 King Karl of Wurtemberg, Germany, named Charles Woodcock "Baron
Savage." On his return to the U.S. in 1890, Charles Woodcock used the last
name Savage.

On June 14, 1894, Charles B. Woodcock Savage married a widow, Henrietta
Knebel Staples, with four sons. On June 19, 1897, all of her sons (Joseph,
Harry, Herbert, and Leslie Curtis) legally changed their last names to
Savage. Leslie Curtis also changed his first name to Charles.

If you know of a photo of Charles Burger Woodcock Savage, I would be glad to
pay for a copy. J. Katz ()

This thread: